Does filter thread have to match exactly?

Not only do the threads have to match, but the gasket diameter must match as well. as @RooflessVW noted.

From Donaldson, the attributes of the "cheap" (cellulose) replacement are:
View attachment 87003
Which is the P550428

However, they also make a Synteq media version, the P551019:
View attachment 87004

Note the 99% efficiency at 15 microns. That's the filter I would run.

OH wow thank you! I have been thinking that ONLY the Donaldson "DBL" dark blue looking filters had the synthetic "Synteq" media. 99% @ 15 microns is gonna be hard to beat haha

Thank heavens everybody doesn't need such detailed help!

Now imagine helping this guy select a motor oil! (jk)
WOW did you even need to make this post, aren’t message boards meant for people to ask questions? Im sorry I wasted your time……I had looked at multiple websites including RV only ones and multiple people had posted oil filters with 1 16 threads working as an alternate to the LF3970 1-1/8 16 threaded filter. Cummins 6.7L for RV and the Cummins 6.7L for trucks recommend the exact same size oil filter! The only thing different is thread size and even then I found a website selling the LF3970 that has a 1-1/8 16 thread size and it lists it as having 1 16! What a jerk wow

I had looked at multiple websites including RV only ones and multiple people had posted oil filters with 1 16 threads working as an alternate to the LF3970 1-1/8 16 threaded filter.
I hope nobody took the advice of those people, because as already explained it's not going to work.

My RV has a Cummins 6.7L engine. When I di research on the oil filter it states Fleetguard LF3970 and the thread is 1-1/8 16. I’d like to upgrade the filter with either a Donaldson blue or Fleetguard venturi. Now when I search for a Cummins 6.7L oil filter MOST come up for the “truck” models not RV and these have threads of 1 16. Not 1-1/8 16.

im just wondering if a 1 16 thread would fit on my RV that calls for a 1-1/8 16? Seems no place has the info and multiple places say they can or cannot be interchanged haha. Thanks all
Hi Boxol,

I have read through this discussion, as I have recently purchased a used motor home with a Cummins C8.3 ISC engine. Before I hit the road this spring, I will be replacing all the fluids and filters. So I found it interesting that you are searching for an "upgrade" from the OEM Fleetguard filter.

In all the research I have done to date on maintenance for this engine, I find that many strongly recommend using the Fleetguard filters, claiming that they are one of the better choices available. Have you heard otherwise?

My RV has a Cummins 6.7L engine. When I di research on the oil filter it states Fleetguard LF3970 and the thread is 1-1/8 16. I’d like to upgrade the filter with either a Donaldson blue or Fleetguard venturi. Now when I search for a Cummins 6.7L oil filter MOST come up for the “truck” models not RV and these have threads of 1 16. Not 1-1/8 16.

im just wondering if a 1 16 thread would fit on my RV that calls for a 1-1/8 16? Seems no place has the info and multiple places say they can or cannot be interchanged haha. Thanks all

Why not stick with a Fleetguard filter? They are the OEM for Cummins. This filter is the Stratapore media so IMO one of Fleetguards top notch filters. You can find them on Amazon for ~$24 for 2 pieces, free shipping with Prime.

Amazon Link

Just my $0.02

Why not stick with a Fleetguard filter? They are the OEM for Cummins. This filter is the Stratapore media so IMO one of Fleetguards top notch filters. You can find them on Amazon for ~$24 for 2 pieces, free shipping with Prime.

Amazon Link

Just my $0.02
I had planned to order the Fleetguard LF3970 filter cummins recommends until OVERKILL was kind enough to suggest that Donaldson P551019 filter.

Fleetguard LF3970: 98.7% at 30 micron
Donaldson P551019: 99% at 15 micron

Seems like Donaldson is the way to go.

Hi Boxol,

I have read through this discussion, as I have recently purchased a used motor home with a Cummins C8.3 ISC engine. Before I hit the road this spring, I will be replacing all the fluids and filters. So I found it interesting that you are searching for an "upgrade" from the OEM Fleetguard filter.

In all the research I have done to date on maintenance for this engine, I find that many strongly recommend using the Fleetguard filters, claiming that they are one of the better choices available. Have you heard otherwise?
No, Fleetguard with Stratapore was my top choice because I couldn’t find a Donaldson “blue“ synthetic media that fit at first. Fleetguard and Donaldson filters are 1A and 1B in my mind and can’t go wrong with either really.

What filter does Cummins recommend for your 8.3?

I was only kidding. That's what the (jk) means.

In fact, it was a small joke I was going for....not even a razz. Sorry if I ruffled your feathers.

...and yes, I am fully capable of being a jerk....just as some people can overreact occasionally.
Yup - I read it as a joke. Not making fun of the OP, but a general taunt at the BITOG zealous behavior in general. And, IMHO, a funny joke and one that is not without basis.

No, Fleetguard with Stratapore was my top choice because I couldn’t find a Donaldson “blue“ synthetic media that fit at first. Fleetguard and Donaldson filters are 1A and 1B in my mind and can’t go wrong with either really.

You could build a remote filter system - but with plenty research into the best hoses, connectors etc - where to mount - then pick any filter that fits that remote housing …

The short answer is the LF14009NN. It is a two media filter, with both StrataPore media and NanoNet media.

The long answer is the original lube filter for the ISC 8.3 was an LF3000, which was replaced by the superior LF9009. The LF9009 is rated at 98.7% efficiency at 30 micron. And the LF14009NN is shown as the upgrade to the LF9009. While I haven't been able to find efficiency rating for the LF14009NN, in a flyer that Cummins published about the upgraded LF14009NN, they state greater fuel efficiency and increased engine protection.

The short answer is the LF14009NN. It is a two media filter, with both StrataPore media and NanoNet media.

The long answer is the original lube filter for the ISC 8.3 was an LF3000, which was replaced by the superior LF9009. The LF9009 is rated at 98.7% efficiency at 30 micron. And the LF14009NN is shown as the upgrade to the LF9009. While I haven't been able to find efficiency rating for the LF14009NN, in a flyer that Cummins published about the upgraded LF14009NN, they state greater fuel efficiency and increased engine protection.
That’s a monster of a filter haha. https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/africa/sites/cumminsfiltration.com.africa/files/PD10021.pdf

that shows 98.9% at 30 and 72.3% at 10. Very nice filter!

You should also take a look at Donaldsons DBL7900. It’s 97.6% at 15 micron and here is a very nice article comparing the Fleetguard filter to the Donaldson for your engine! https://www.donaldson.com/content/d...Flow-Lube-Filters-for-Cummins-ISX-Engines.pdf

Donaldson DBL7900 would be my pick but Fleetguard close 2nd.

That’s a monster of a filter haha. https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/africa/sites/cumminsfiltration.com.africa/files/PD10021.pdf

that shows 98.9% at 30 and 72.3% at 10. Very nice filter!

You should also take a look at Donaldsons DBL7900. It’s 97.6% at 15 micron and here is a very nice article comparing the Fleetguard filter to the Donaldson for your engine! https://www.donaldson.com/content/d...Flow-Lube-Filters-for-Cummins-ISX-Engines.pdf

Donaldson DBL7900 would be my pick but Fleetguard close 2nd.
Haha. You are right. That is a huge filter. The 2 1/4" thread size is what really hit me as big.

After looking at the information you attached, I believe I will go with the Donaldson Blue for the lube filter. From what I can see, the DBL7300 will be the equivalent for the Fleetguard LF9009. Donaldson doesn't show an equivalent for the LF14009NN.

I've found a local distributor that actually has some of the better prices on Donaldson filters.

Thanks for sharing the attachments.

Haha. You are right. That is a huge filter. The 2 1/4" thread size is what really hit me as big.

After looking at the information you attached, I believe I will go with the Donaldson Blue for the lube filter. From what I can see, the DBL7300 will be the equivalent for the Fleetguard LF9009. Donaldson doesn't show an equivalent for the LF14009NN.

I've found a local distributor that actually has some of the better prices on Donaldson filters.

Thanks for sharing the attachments.
I’d suggest the Donaldson DBL7900 not the DBL7300

I’d suggest the Donaldson DBL7900 not the DBL7300
The DBL7900 won't work. It is an entirely different thread, M95x2.5 vs 2 1/4"-12.

From what I researched, I suspect the DBL7900 and DBL7300 are the same internally, being only different in the base plate threads. I owe you for me spending a LOT of time researching the Donaldson offerings today.

The DBL7900 won't work. It is an entirely different thread, M95x2.5 vs 2 1/4"-12.

From what I researched, I suspect the DBL7900 and DBL7300 are the same internally, being only different in the base plate threads. I owe you for me spending a LOT of time researching the Donaldson offerings today.
HAHA your welcome! Sorry about that 7900 vs 7300!!! So strange that the article I linked has Donaldson comparing their DBL7900 to Fleetguards LF14000NN Filter!

The only place I've witnessed where threads don't have to match exactly, is when people will use a 1/8"-BSPT fitting and force it into a 1/8"-NPT. By the time they figure the threads are incompatible, it's too late.

Back