Better filter for Pajero

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first post so please be gentle. I live in South Australia which has a mediterranean climate ie its not that cold here in winter and rarely goes below 0 degrees centigrade.

My 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero 4m41 has a combo filter. Mitsubishi won't release any details of its efficiency however the Donaldson replacement P502008 has the following stats:

Outer Diameter: 4.21 Inches (107 MM) Thread Size: M26 x 1.5 Length: 5.90 Inches (150 MM) Gasket OD: 2.87 Inches (73 MM) Gasket ID: 2.19 Inches (56 MM) Efficiency 50%: 20 Micron Efficiency Test Std: JIS D 1611 Bypass Valve Setting: 25-31 PSI (1.7-2.1 BAR) Primary Application: MITSUBISHI ME013307, ME013343

I'd like to increase the filtering efficiency of my oil filter without going down the path of an additional bypass filter if possible. I am unable to find a oil filter with synthetic material that has m26 1.5mm thread.

Donaldson make the Donaldson Blue range including the DBL7349 which are used on Cummins ISX’s. Donaldson Blue use a synthetic material and are rated at 90% at 10 microns. This filter has a 1" 16 TPI thread and similar specs re gasket dimensions. A replacement spigot would need to be machined and installed if used.

What is your advice re using a filter without a pressure relief valve as a replacement for a filter with a PRV. Oil pump has a PRV and filter head appears to have 2 PRVs. Happy to use a synthetic oil with low viscosity.

Hill

You want a Mann WP1045

http://catalog.mann-filter.com/EU/eng/catalog/MANN-FILTER%20Katalog%20Europa/Oil%20Filter/WP%201045%3Bjsessionid=C3FF735046934C7E1C7EF5EEAC55B192

Thanks Olas,

Do you have some specs for the 1045. Efficiency and micron. Type of filtering material.

Hill

Cross reference filters will provide similar specs to factory filter. I've had a look for at a few eg Ryco Z372 has better specs than Donaldson ie 60% at 20 micron.

Can we go back to question re better filtration and using a filter without PRV.

What is your advice re using a filter without a pressure relief valve as a replacement for a filter with a PRV. Oil pump has a PRV and filter head appears to have 2 PRVs. Happy to use a synthetic oil with low viscosity.

Hill

Originally Posted By: Hill
Thanks Olas,

Do you have some specs for the 1045. Efficiency and micron. Type of filtering material.

Hill

Efficiency beta 2: micron 20

Filter media is cellulose

HI Olas

Thanks for chasing this up. Your internet research skills are better than mine.

Efficiency beta 2: micron 20 is equivalent to 50% @ 20 microns.

I'm looking for a filter with better specs.

Take care

Hill

Originally Posted By: Hill

What is your advice re using a filter without a pressure relief valve as a replacement for a filter with a PRV.
Hill

If the OEM filter has a PRV, then I personally wouldn't use an alternate filter without one, even if the filter has slightly improved efficiency.

Originally Posted By: R80RS
A good place to start your search may be here: http://www.oilfilter-crossreference.com

They don't provide specs, but at least you can see what fits and take it from there. Good luck.

Had a look at these filters. The Fram PH8936 has much better specs than Donaldson - looks like 95% @20 microns.

Is the Ph8936 an American manufactured filter?

Hill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back