Winter tires for my '14 Charger?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks...it looks like I may consider the Goodyears from a cost point.

The WS80's look good too. I don't want to wait too much longer as I'll be doing the tire swap in my driveway with the jack that came with car probably. We've dodged the snow that has his other parts of the country but that won't last.

Question...tpms is nice but if I leave them out is the only drawback the idiot light being on?

Spending 152 less would be nice considering each tire near 150 apiece

I don't run TPMS on my Accord when using snow tires, besides the idiot light which you get used to, I lose the ability to turn off the traction control system. This is very application specific however, but something to look at and consider.

Last edited:
Yeah, I just ignore the tire pressure monitoring system with winter tires too, no need to spend the $$ for the extra smart valves.

There are 'Calumet, MI' winters, and there are Chicagoland winters, the Keweenaw peninsula if MI being much more extreme. Since those of us in the more temperate zones don't have as much snow and ice to deal with, many can get by with two dedicated winter tires. It's a way to double the mileage on a set of 'snow tires'.

I just saw a big Ford 4x4 yesterday slammed against the cement barrier after he went over an icy overpass. In his case some dedicated winter tires would of been a cheap investment. I'm a Blizzack fanboy.

You should be able to get a 17" police style wheel but maybe not at TR.

I have the Yokohama iG51v on the 18" police wheel and I'm not that impressed so I wouldn't recommend them.

I have experience on two sets of Hankook W409s and I can say they were great, although both on front drive cars. Good bite in snow and slush, reasonable on ice and hardpack.

Winterforce were on my Mom's van for a few years and I would consider buying them. Good in the snow, maybe a little noisy and squishy. Not sure I'd say they were a lot better than an A/S on ice (not allowed to stud here).

They Yokahamas are my first set of "ice" tires and may be my last. Personally I think the snow biased treads are better for here even though I have a modest commute. Nothing is "GOOD" on ice but the Hankooks and Winterforce seem to do better in snow. Especially heavy sloppy stuff like I was in tonight.

I drove a Charger equipped with 225/60-18 Firestone Winterforce during the 3 winters here.
Despite low ground clearance it did surprisingly very well in winter for a RWD car.

Traction control didn't allow any powersliding at all even when trying to break the back end loose around snowy/icy corners.

Just be careful not to hit the front bumber cover in freezing weather (very thin!),
someone hit mine while backing out of a parking space and despite a small impact,
it shattered the bumper like it was made of crystal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cp3
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I just ordered Hankook's for our Charger (on 18" steelies) I'll let you know what they are like.

Which one did you get?

The iPike's.

Yeah any report back would be great.....I think the longer i wait the less choices I'm going to have available.

Xi3's gone from the Rack and WS80's have price jacked up 8 bucks a tire
smirk.gif

Might be the Winterforces lol Price is right. It's so hard to judge by reviews. One person says they are horrible, another says they are the best softest tire they have ever run

Perhaps not the best winter tires but certainly
no complaints here about the Firestone Winterforce,
adjust your driving accordingly to the weather and road
conditions and all is fine.

The OEM stability control / ABS / traction control on that car are pretty good.

The only 'complaint' I had with the Charger (2011 SE V6) in winter
was the light front end feel at speed when changing lanes on the highway.
Tends to wander / float around on top of the snow drifts between lanes.

Michel

btw, I didn't have any TPMS sensors installed in my winter wheels,
initialy got an error message on the dashboard for a couple of days,
then no error codes shown at all for the rest of winter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mlatour

Michel

Thanks for the update Michel...especially about the TPMS..if I can get by without it, thats more $$ back in the pocket

Michel

You have the updated software for "Canada and the Northern States". I installed that update on ours shortly after we got it (along with all the other updates available through the software).

Michel

Wander?

I never noticed that but maybe the hemi weighs more out front which likely helps in that department.
I found that my charger with winter skins handled excellent on icy,frozen and snowy roads. The traction control system is fantastic and nearly impossible to get the rear tires spinning.
I turned off traction control with my tuner and the car became a whole different animal. Prior to that even when turning the traction control off I couldn't get the car to fishtail.
Great winter car for sure
A real fun summer one too

Yes no TPMS sensors is no problem. First start up you get the warning then the system disables itself. Only indication is an amber N\A in the EVIC. Cone spring the system also picks the sensors back up with no input either. Also recognizes each tires position on the car.

Mine is a '13 3.6 and I also get the wander feel. Could be the difference in front weight I guess. Is the same in standing water with the terrible factory Michelins. I drive mostly back roads and it doesn't like the slop on the side of the lane. It isn't terrible but can be alarming at first. I also wouldn't caracterize the traction great. With trac' and ESC on I get about a foot of lateral slide around a slow corner without trying. High speed seems to work better. I am curious though how much is the tires.

Goose, the Winteforce is a decent tire. Not the newest design or maybe the greatest but cost to performance I feel is pretty good. If you are looking for a winter to ride and drive like an all season, look elsewhere. If you are looking for a reasonablly good performing winter tire for a reasonable price and understand that it won't handle like an all season and may be a bit louder, I don't think they will dissapoint.

Yep, that's it. Hope they do as well for you as they have for me! I got mine on PMC last year, I don't think they weren't available in my size or that's what I probably would have got.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back