Winter tires for my '14 Charger?

Status
Not open for further replies.
is your sizing right? the winter tire size is about 1" bigger

235/55R18 might be better..

Originally Posted By: edyvw
If you plan driving through deeper snow or slush, go with WS80.
Michelins are OK on packed snow, but slush and deep snow are not their better side.

While I would agree, a charger with xice xi3 would be ripping something off before it got stuck.

The xi3 was an incremental improvement over the xi2
slightly/moderately in everything except slush planing & deep snow.

it also rides abit harder IIRC.

The latitude xice xi2 in 235/55r18 is in stock.

You might consider the hakka R2, it has great winter traction as well as great mpg that should offset its $$$ over the life of the tire.

another option is yoko ig51v, available from DTD and tirerack.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
You might consider the hakka R2,

I think he's trying to get both rims and tires from TR so that mount&balance is included at no extra cost.

Believe it or not the charger is a great winter/snow vehicle. Snow tires are a definite must have though. I tried all seasons last year and 400tq shreds tires pretty fast. So I ditched them.
I'm not sure what snow tires I did buy but wow what a difference. Don't worry about noise too much. The charger is insulated to dampen sound,so if your choice of tire is louder it won't increase drone inside the car much. If it does turn the radio up. Hehehe.
And the traction control nanny is amazing when it kicks in. You've gotta make a serious effort to get that car sideways and wheel spin is practically non existent.
Great winter car.
Are you sure you need 18" rims for winter tires. I though the 6 cylinder versions had smaller brakes and could fit a 15" or 16" rim.
I know the older ones could fit a smaller rim.
It would save you some money in rubber for sure,and better traction because of more sidewall and smoother ride to absorb the inevitable snow pack on the roads and whatnot.
I'm stuck with my charger. I need a minimum of an 18" rim to fit my rotors,but mines an R/T.
Just a thought.

500 miles a week is a lot. Your winter tires sadly will wear away on dry and wet pavement the vast majority of drive time. 40k longevity is at best but more like 25k of wear for winter tread.

You have another car to take on bad days that are predicted? Remember in 100 mile commute winter tires make little difference as EVERYONE drives slow.

Just an opinion of a guy who used to drive/commyte 30k/year and used winter tires in New England. Expensive...

I have nothing but good things to say about the Firestone Winterforce tires I had on the old Mercury Mystique. They were studded, and road a bit rough, but gave great winter traction. I think they're a bargain. Although, the two winters I had them on were relatively mild. I don't recommend studding them for such a long commute...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I think he's trying to get both rims and tires from TR so that mount&balance is included at no extra cost.

Then get Dunlop WinterSport 4D.
Best high-performance winter tire period!

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Studs on the highway drive me crazy. Not just the noise but the wandering. I'd go stud less.

When I got my winter wheels, they had a set of 1/2 worn non-studded Winterfarce tires. They were no different, on the highway, as far as noise levels as my current Winterfarce studded. They're just a loud tire.

Can't even hear the studs on my parents Nokian Nordsman tires!

My wife's 07 Camry hybrid gets driven 100 plus miles a day. At 170,000 miles we are only 1/3 worn on the second set of blizzaks. They really wear well in cold temps. And like I try to tell people I put winter tires for, do not drive them like a summer tire. Drive conservative and that can make a big difference on winter tire wear, and they don't wear at all on snow/ice. Use to work with a guy with a Z/28 on blizzaks, that would pull into the parking lot with smoke rolling off the tires, and he couldn't understand why they only last 3 months.

Also check out Altimax Artics, and Hankook ipike RS W419 if they come in your size. I just put the Hankooks on my 200 on Wed. They are very quiet for a winter tire. They honestly are not louder than my horrible OE GY Eagle LS2s. On rough blacktop, they are actually more quiet. I haven't been able to test them out in snow yet, but it's coming tomorrow.

Originally Posted By: Traction
My wife's 07 Camry hybrid gets driven 100 plus miles a day. At 170,000 miles we are only 1/3 worn on the second set of blizzaks. They really wear well in cold temps. And like I try to tell people I put winter tires for, do not drive them like a summer tire. Drive conservative and that can make a big difference on winter tire wear, and they don't wear at all on snow/ice. Use to work with a guy with a Z/28 on blizzaks, that would pull into the parking lot with smoke rolling off the tires, and he couldn't understand why they only last 3 months.

Well, Bridgestone makes WS series for cars like Camry, and LM for cars like CC, BMW 3, 5 etc.
I have WS on my wife's Tiguan. Just installed them for second season on her Tig. No any issues. However, LM-60 on my car developed noise compare to last year. I think they are little bit too soft for harder suspensions, brakes etc.
I need them bcs where I live it is hilly, plus I ski a lot and drive in back country. Still, I am not giv up on spirited driving,s o I got LM-60. Although they are top notch in icy, deep snow, slush, packed snow, the dry performance is too loose. I think next tire is going to be either Dunlop 4D or Michelin Pilot Alpine.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Yup!

All excellent advice guys, I appreciate it.

My need to stay with the 18" tires is due to me wanting to have the black steel police style rims for the winter. I could pick up a set of 17" oem alloys for fairly cheap $$ though and then maybe put together pieces. But Pete nailed it. I want the tires mounted, balanced and shipped right to my door so all I have to do is jack the car up and swap the 20" out.

The 235/55's would be a little fatter than the 225/60's right? Other than that I'm not sure if much of a difference

The Blizzak WS80's look like they may be my best bet. Either way I'm looking at probably 1200-1300 delivered. I wish snow was more predictable here lol

I do have the Accord to take a couple days a week to cut down on the miles. I've just been driving the Charger because it is new
smile.gif

I just got a set of 18" Blizzak DM-V1's from Tire Rack for my Challenger.
Haven't put 'em on yet, but they're supposed to be monsters in the snow. They're for light truck/ SUV vehicles, but recommended for both the Challenger & Charger.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: Traction

Well, Bridgestone makes WS series for cars like Camry, and LM for cars like CC, BMW 3, 5 etc.
I have WS on my wife's Tiguan. Just installed them for second season on her Tig. No any issues. However, LM-60 on my car developed noise compare to last year. I think they are little bit too soft for harder suspensions, brakes etc.
I need them bcs where I live it is hilly, plus I ski a lot and drive in back country. Still, I am not giv up on spirited driving,s o I got LM-60. Although they are top notch in icy, deep snow, slush, packed snow, the dry performance is too loose. I think next tire is going to be either Dunlop 4D or Michelin Pilot Alpine.

LM vs WS are not for kind of car but more wheather one wants studless tire for ice and snow or performance tire which maintains some sporty performance in dry and wet but pays with poorer ice and snow performance.
One will find there is significant overlap in sizes.

Krzys

Originally Posted By: Miller88
The Winter Force use a harder compound than the Blizzaks or WS80, so the tread will stay on longer. They will probably do better in deep snow too.

But they suffer from poor ice and hard packed snow performance, even studded.

Out of those, I'd go for the WS80

Edit: Are you able to go with 17'' wheels? Seems like 215-65/17 would be slightly better since it's a hair narrower.

I wanted to do the same on my Magnum...but on an R/T, a 17 will not clear the front calipers. However...the OP has a V6, so they might.

I had 225/60R18 Winterforces...noisy (as I expected), but absolutely superb.

What about a Falken Eurowinter?

Last edited:
I have the IceX3 on my 2011 Charger. Good tire, very little road noise, you will like them a lot compared to the stock tires. As a side note, I did not notice any gas mileage change from my all seasons.

GY Eagle Ultra Grip GW-3 . Used by various police departments around the country and has a $60 rebate on a set of 4 right now. Also gets good reviews for your particular vehicle on tirerack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back