Winter car equipment?

What kind of winter or snow equipment do you keep in the trunk? NYC/LI winters can be rough. I usually do Prestone de-icer washer fluid, spray bottle, and "pre" icer, plus a space blanket (some have gotten stuck under bridges for hours). Additionally, I have 3 peak mountain snowflake tires, and I was thinking about a collapsible or folding shovel. And the usual, gloves, traffic vest, electronic flares..

I usually bring here in Norway/Sweden in the winter: Collapsible shuffle, start cables, heavy duty tow rope, tow hooks, winter dress and blanket, extra gloves and hat, phone charger, ducttape, mounting strips, OBD scanner, basic tools, reflex west, LED work light, ice scrape for windows with brush, and a bag of sand/grit. And the car is prepped with coolant that can handle the cold, checked with a refractometer, washer fluid that can handle -30C, motor oil that can handle the lowest temps in the winter (0W og 5W here), block heater with integrated battery charger, and for the coldest days blocking of the passageways to the front radiator. Here nordic winter tyres are mandatory, anything else is illegal. Cross Climate tyres are really not worth anything compared to real winter tyres. And I wonder about bringing some sheet of stiff metal radiator mesh to be able to use under the tyres if I am stuck. I have in the last ten years used all of the above equipment in the winter, so it proves it was a real need for em. There is requirement from the government that winter appropriate diesel and petrol/ethanol to be sold in the months that it is needed. Never had any problem with that even down to -37C.

Make sure I have all the accessories for the winch (tree strap, shackles, snatch block, gloves)....when tires or a shovel don't work, winch is next. Don't leave home without it!

I drive probably 15,000 miles in winter months where i am, usually only put for snows on and drive pretty carefully. I would like to try a de-icer in a spray bottle, but my car is garaged so mornings aren't really a big issue. But other than that, various snow brushes and ice scrapers. I HATE THE WINTER!!

Snow brush/ice scraper combo, NEVER below half a tank of fuel, keep the windshield washer fluid full (I use the purple or green stuff at Meijer), and a blanket/extra jackets/hoodies.

Snow tires to start!
Considering I am driving on back roads through the Rockies during night coming back from skiing:
1. Water.
2. First aid.
3. Good knife!
4. Big external battery for cell phone. Small one for skiing (fall down, injure no one in sight! It is impossible to overstate how important is external battery if skiing outside main slopes).
5. Full reservoir of windshield fluid plus spare gallon in the car.
6. Always thickest jacket in the car, regardless that current temperature might be ok.
7. Face mask! I always ski with face mask (not so much issues with cold as it protects from burning skin at high altitude). But if you have to get out of the car during blizzard, face mask rules.
8. Goggles always in the car. Skiing or not. Again, in blizzard you want to see if leaving car or changing tire etc.
9. Flash light.
10. Tools necessary to change tire without issues, which means breaker bar, thicker mechanic gloves.
11. LED type of flare warning signal lights.
12. Small 12V air compressor.
13. Always skiing in underpants, but if just going somewhere I have spare in trunk. No substitute for that!

Winter prep here:
Find ice scraper
Test seat heaters
Toss spare hoodie in trunk
Wait for spring

1634734160654.jpeg

For anyone who uses a 'Brush' to clean snow off their vehicle, I would recommend getting a Snow Joe (or similar).
These are used at Car Dealerships.
One thing I have learned, work around your house like a professional , it makes life easier.

I am not associated with Snow Joe in any way.

For anyone who uses a 'Brush' to clean snow off their vehicle, I would recommend getting a Snow Joe (or similar).
One thing I have learned, work around your house like a professional , it makes life easier.

I've had one for a few years now, makes short work of clearing off vehicles. One thing I hate is cars driving down the road with a snow storm blowing off their vehicle, I refuse to be that guy.

This is what I posted 5 years ago: I carry some warm clothes and spare underwear and socks. Flashlights, some tools, space blankets and chemlights.

The most probable issue for my wife or me is that the road gets shut down and we get stuck overnight. Biggest concern is keeping warm. The authorities will have the road cleared by the next day and even it's two days, we're not going to starve to death. Can drink the snow to stay hydrated. Staying warm and dry is the priority.

They are exceptional for cleaning snow off. They won't mar the paint badly as long as the surface below the snow is clean.

This is what I posted 5 years ago: I carry some warm clothes and spare underwear and socks. Flashlights, some tools, space blankets and chemlights.

The most probable issue for my wife or me is that the road gets shut down and we get stuck overnight. Biggest concern is keeping warm. The authorities will have the road cleared by the next day and even it's two days, we're not going to starve to death. Can drink the snow to stay hydrated. Staying warm and dry is the priority.
Melt it, bring it to a warm state, then drink it. The basic mistake that people do when lost in the snow is eating/drinking snow. The body spends a huge amount of calories to process that. You are already worried about starving to death. Cold snow that turns into cold water is the worse thing to do.
Have six-pack or 12/24 pack of the water bottles in the car always.

I keep my stuff in a Golf trunk organizer, which includes extra blankets/throws, a headlight (and spare batteries), some hand warmers, some gloves...

I may also throw in a camping stove and propane/isobutane canister, and of course a lighter and a camping cup, maybe some Mountain House freeze dried food.

Back