Your emergency gear or kit?

I have a pre packaged first aid kit, jumper cables, gloves, space blanket, flashlight, electronic road flares, some tools, electrical tape, duct tape, water, quart of oil, traffic vest, one use poncho, ice scraper, fix a flat, pre ice and de icer, plastic bags, paper bags, hoodie, rags, and a book. No I do not live in Antarctica.

I have a pre packaged first aid kit, jumper cables, gloves, space blanket, flashlight, electronic road flares, some tools, electrical tape, duct tape, water, quart of oil, traffic vest, one use poncho, ice scraper, fix a flat, pre ice and de icer, plastic bags, paper bags, hoodie, rags, and a book. No I do not live in Antarctica.

You have AWD or 4WD?

Perfectly normal 😷

Sounds reasonable to me - I keep a first aid kit, jumper cables and a lithium jump box, flashlight, blanket, gloves, a tool kit/socket set, rags, bottled water, pocket knife, lighter, some unappealing snacks*, and an old cell phone and other random things (ibuprofen, caffeine pills for if I get tired on a long drive, etc). I'd also keep any fluids I knew the car to use (oil, ATF, coolant, etc.) and an ice scraper and snowboots during the winter.

That's for a car that I've had no trouble with and that's typically driven nowhere more remote/desolate than northwest Iowa. I'd adjust upward if I had a car that was not reliable/older, or I drove somewhere more desolate.

*The idea with the bad snacks is that I won't eat them if I'm just driving somewhere and am sort of hungry, or am on a road trip - I have to be pretty hungry to eat these old, nasty granola bars I have in the car, so I save them for times when I'm more desperate (like an emergency). I've had them come in handy once, and was glad to have them then.

Unless you live in the middle of nowhere, most of those things are replaced by a cell phone. And I remember many high end cars had first aid kits years ago, not sure they still come with them. In all the years driving, I've never hurt myself bad enough to have used something from one. What book? repair manual?

Unless you live in the middle of nowhere, most of those things are replaced by a cell phone. And I remember many high end cars had first aid kits years ago, not sure they still come with them. In all the years driving, I've never hurt myself bad enough to have used something from one. What book? repair manual?
Even if you don't live in the middle of nowhere, you might have to drive through some more deserted areas... that's probably more common but it's not something everyone has to worry about by any means. Couple that with potentially sliding off the road in the winter, and I guess I'd rather keep a small bag of supplies in my trunk than worry about having to call someone more urgently. For example, Iowa notably has tow bans for when roads get especially bad, and they have gates to shut the roads down entirely beyond a certain point, meaning there's at least a small chance of spending the night in the ditch if you go off the road. To me, the peace of mind of being at least slightly prepared is worth something. And all of the above fits in a bag the size of a 6-pack cooler, so it's not a huge cost.

I keep jumper cables in all vehicles have tools in my beetle and truck including a tire plugging kit. And have a quart of oil in everything except my moms Camry she doesn’t allow anything to be in her car when not being used I had to sneak the jumper cables in there and she still hasn’t found them yet. That’s about it. I don’t keep tools in the other cars because my dad has been known to take them and he has lost some and some of them were my favorite tools. I think my mom carries a first aid kit in the glovebox of the car but not sure. That’s about it fortunately I’ve only ever had to use my tools once and my truck conked out on me in the school parking lot in 11th grade because the fuel pump went out. Have had to use the jumper cables a few times too.

In the trunk is jumper cables, tire chains, a blanket to lay down on, fix-a-flat (but I have a spare), and battery jumper. On road trips I add in a Husky Toolkit.

I change em out. Read while waiting in the car here and there.

For winter, a compact snow shovel, traction mats, small pack of road salt, old blanket, small first aid kit, small fire extinguisher, 12 volt tire pump, work gloves, multi tool and flashlight.

Four good snow tires and good driving sense.

All good ideas. What kind of emergency are we talking about though? As in end of the world or societal collapse perhaps?

If so I'd add some cash, a pistol, ammo, water filtration device, med kit with gauze and tourniquet, a basic radio, solar charger for your phone.

All good ideas. What kind of emergency are we talking about though? As in end of the world or societal collapse perhaps?

If so I'd add some cash, a pistol, ammo, water filtration device, med kit with gauze and tourniquet, a basic radio, solar charger for your phone.
How often do you get the end of the world or societal collapse?

I don't think that kit would help that much in the case of Texas if you consider that societal collapse. Maybe in other countries like Venezuela or North Korea, but then you probably couldn't afford to prep in those countries.

Where do you put your groceries then?

I keep nothing in my car. Even my spare tire is bad :ROFLMAO: Need to get a new one.

In my Jeep I have some traction boards and a tow strap. I usually bring my tool bags too just in case.

i learned to add a wire coat hanger to my kit when ages ago i had to reattach a hanging tail pipe. i too bring some protection devices.

In the truck...

Tool bag with tie down straps & chains
Tool bag with misc tools
Tool bag with first aid kit, fire ext and water & blanket
Guns
Tool bag with jumper cables & jumper pack
Soccer ball and kite (for the kids)

Back