Window film installation

Preparing to install some house window film, as a rookie. Wet spray, static cling type; no adhesive. Material is not wide enough to span the width of the pane, so there will have to be two pieces, with a seam in the middle.

1) Better to pre-cut and then apply what needs to be trrimmed, or apply first, then trim in situ, assuming the material is pliable enough, like car tint is done?

2) Suggestions for a cheap, long straight edge guide to prevent uneven cuts?

3) Any other tips?

Ultimately, it doesn't need to be perfect, since it won't be subject to close inspection, but the desire to do a neat job is still there.

I’ve done my big front window twice now… those gel window decorations WILL permanently stain the window film!!!!

I found pre cutting the film to be close but still big, installing it, then giving it a final trim was the easiest way to go about it.

I just used the window frame itself as my “straight edge”, it worked mostly well. I’ll grab some photos when I get off work.

As promised! Some I managed to cut a bit better than others, 1st pic is perfect edge to edge the 2nd pic the film was a tiny bit short.

These are single pane windows with “storm” panes, the film is between the actual window and the storm pane. I believe the instructions state if you have dual pane windows the film must go in the outside if you have the super dark tint.
IMG_7376.jpeg
IMG_7377.jpeg

I’ve done my big front window twice now… those gel window decorations WILL permanently stain the window film!!!!

I found pre cutting the film to be close but still big, installing it, then giving it a final trim was the easiest way to go about it.

I just used the window frame itself as my “straight edge”, it worked mostly well. I’ll grab some photos when I get off work.

Thank you.

I don't have to be concerned with sandwiching, but I will be cognizant to take advantage of the factory cut edge to make the butt seam is neat and tidy.

Rough cutting slightly oversize, and trimming in place to size seems to be how it's commonly done.

Back