Will we ever see PP 0W-20?

Just wondering if we will ever see PP 0W20, in Walmart, Pep Boys, Auto Zone, or Advanced Auto? AD

I will lean to the yes. As years go on, OEM Ford and Honda specs are going to start saying 0w20 and 0w30 for USA use. I say in 5 years. ***This is just a personal guess!!!!!!!

ADFD1

I see Pennzoil makes 0W20 according to their website, but doesn't offer a 0w30 as of yet. I have not seen the 0W20 in any stores, it can be ordered but the price is too much.

Originally Posted By: Mark888
If the price is too much, does that mean it is (at least partially) as Group IV/V oil? Probably.
It means it is low volume production, that's it.

A special order for me, 1 day wait to get from warehouse. The problem with that is I pay the same price as I would for M1. It makes me kinda sick seeing that for what I paid for my 6qt of PP, I got 2 gallons of UFA branded XD3 0w-30 on sale! Nonetheless me and my car are liking the PP 0w-20 and plan on paying a premium for it when the cold winter comes knocking. This oil proved its worth right away in my car with a week straight of -40C and never a problem starting it up (block heater plugged in of course). At least in my neck of the woods I think once they start selling the M1 0W oils I should start seeing better prices. Here most places will carry the 0W's because of the cold weather properties. I am sorry to say unless your area has lots of hybrids, I think that it might be hard to get it as a regular stocked item seeing that it is branded a "hybrid oil" on the box by Penzoil. Joe Blow will glaze right over it when shopping for oil for his 5W-20 spec'd vehicle.

ADFD1

You are correct, the fact it says Hybrid is the killer. Pennzoil makes some great products but the marketing dept needs a good talking too. Mobil& Amsoil and some of the others basically say their 0W20 can be used in place of 5W-20 in any and all applications calling for a 5W-20, which is true. Not sure what Pennzoil says, but I would lose or hide the word Hybrid and follow Mobil 1's lead. AD

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Could you explain how you know that for sure? A 0W-20 requires a better quality base stock than a 5W-20. There is only so much you can squeeze out of a 100% Group III base stock before you have to start adding at least some Group IV/V.

Could you explain how you know that for sure? A 0W-20 requires a better quality base stock than a 5W-20. There is only so much you can squeeze out of a 100% Group III base stock before you have to start adding at least some Group IV/V.
Better or not doesn't matter. If you are not seeing shelf space, they are not high volume.

Better or not doesn't matter. If you are not seeing shelf space, they are not high volume.
Walmart will give them self-space if they can move inventory. But it costs a lot more than PP 5W-20, that is a problem.

Walmart will give them self-space if they can move inventory. But it costs a lot more than PP 5W-20, that is a problem.
How much does Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20 cost for a quart compared to the PP 5W-20.

Since Mobil has re-marketed their 0w20/0w30 Mobil 1 as "Advanced Fuel Economy" oil and has seized shelf space, I think alot of retailers will be reluctant to devote more space for other 0wXX oils. BTW, I use the M1 0w20/0w30 AFE oils and they seem very good.

Last edited: