Will the USPS pick up my Blackstone package?

Hey folks:

Is there something that prevents the mail person from taking my Blackstone bottle if I leave it in my mailbox?

(It's been there for 2 days)

Thanks. Happy Bird.

Don't mail it in the bottle. Put it in an old Amazon padded bag, tape it shut, and make it look like an Amazon return.

Problem solved. If they don't think it is some sort of liquid, there won't be an issue.

No... you shouldn't have to do it this way. But since someone at the USPS isn't interested in doing his or her job... like always.

Blackstone really needs to stop with those black jars. They'd save a few cents by going with a similarly sized cardboard box as well.

I have had no issues at all.

I spoke with the clerk at the window about it once, explained what it was and shared some of the information Blackstone provides to reassure the Post Office. She told me that they get these all the time, that there are other people in town (Yes, I live in a small town.) that mail them and the Post Office personnel are well accustomed to seeing them.

Since then I have mailed them with no concern at all. Never been asked anything about them.

So my advice would be to not worry about it. Mail away in the cute little black jar.

Don't mail it in the bottle. Put it in an old Amazon padded bag, tape it shut, and make it look like an Amazon return.

Problem solved. If they don't think it is some sort of liquid, there won't be an issue.

No... you shouldn't have to do it this way. But since someone at the USPS isn't interested in doing his or her job... like always.
My Post office always rolls their eyes when I mail the oil sample, but they do it, she tells me she tags it so it only goes by motor vehicle, no flights, I also know it gets processed faster if you put it in a envelope I buy a bubble wrap lined one for a dollar at the local store.

I have had my sample held at a "sort facility" twice using the bottle only for 3 weeks each time.
I now box it up and add tracking and it gets to Blackstone in 2 days, no hold ups. Seems to be some "do gooders" at the USPS that don't know their job.

I put one in my mailbox yesterday morning and it is in Indy this morning...

They do get lost though...

If you have a similar sized box just peel the label off the bottle and stick it on the box (might have to add tape) brake pad boxes work well typically... this does seem to increase the chance of timely travel...

I drop the bottle in the box. It always gets there. I don't track them. I also mail back my used oil to FCP Euro for my refund and just tell them what is...no drama.

Blackstone really needs to stop with those black jars. They'd save a few cents by going with a similarly sized cardboard box as well.
Yes, If Blackstone sent out a small folded cardboard box to return ship each used oil sample, the USPS would have to handle it without any questions. Per USPS regulations, used motor oil is neither hazardous nor flammable, but the little black bottle is an invitation for extra scrutiny. If motor oil was such a problem, why does the USPS deliver new oil? Otherwise just use a padded or bubble wrap envelope.

I scheduled a pickup online and the mail person picked it up. It's not showing in the tracking yet - but it should get there eventually. I don't have a mailbox, only a slot - so I'll cut them some slack and assume they thought it was a UPS delivery and let it be.

I always put the black bottle in a box and write the address on it. Mail at post office and say no when ask if “any liquids”. Never had a problem

As I understand it any package with stamps has to go over the counter and no mailbox pickups.

My last sample was picked up out of my mail box that is out by the road. It was still a long time before I got results from Blackstone. I did run into a bit of a problem at a post office. They were very hesitant to accept it, but it did go.

The last sample I sent to Blackstone I dropped off at the PO in August. It never made it.

Blackstone is now supplying addressed Tyvek envelops to mail their container in. Reportedly does not freak out the postal workers and samples get to Blackstone much faster. I should be sending one in another month or so. We'll see.

I have had my sample held at a "sort facility" twice using the bottle only for 3 weeks each time.
I now box it up and add tracking and it gets to Blackstone in 2 days, no hold ups. Seems to be some "do gooders" at the USPS that don't know their job.
YUP. Always someone that works harder at "not doing their job" to trip folks up. I long ago decided to either use the shipping boxes or shipping padded envelopes our Post Office supplies. They are all over on display for you to select and use in our lobby. I also tell them most of the time
"this is NOTHING of value or DANGER and is only tapes / files / CDs / school supplies or things for grand kids." Have NOT mailed any oil samples in over ten years but intend to soon. I will use the same Post Office provided boxes to put my own box inside of. Do not anticipate any problems but I do plan to forget to tell them it is OIL in there! unless they push me. Is that WRONG to do to get around massive government foolishness and lead butt lazy federal employees who work so hard to "not work" ?

Last edited:
I requested updated labels from Blackstone - curious to see what they send.

I have complained to Blackstone Labs concerning this issue. The USPS is a bloody nightmare! However; BL still contracts with them knowing the issue. It's been an issue for many years if you search this site. I'm using an alternate lab.

Back