Will new Land Rover Defender hold its value?

The old Defender was a tried and true analog design. The new defender is radically different, unibody and loaded with tech, but still a good off roader.

do you think this is something that will retain its value over time like a wrangler or does the massive amount of technology and unibody construction make it less sought after in the long run?

obviously the car is too new to see the actual resale numbers but with the market pushing towards SUVs and people paying a premium for off-road models, I can sorta see it holding value over time like wranglers. But, old land rovers are worthless due to their complex tech, same stuff found in the new defender.

if I was to ever own another Land Rover product, I would only lease it new. They rapidly depreciate right after the warranty expires, and they’re prone to expensive, complex issues as they age. That being said, if the new defender can hold its value like the old one, it would be a worthwhile purchase especially for a bare bones model.

They rapidly depreciate right after the warranty expires, and they’re prone to expensive, complex issues as they age.

You already hit the nail on the head with this statement. Resale value will plummet after a few years, like most all the other import luxury makes. There is nothing even remotely similar between this Defender and the old ones, other than the name.

I've wrestled with this and a BMW X5. Similar boat IMHO. Just too much depreciation to own outright. If you can meet the mileage guidelines lease is the way to deal with this monster.

It's not off to a good start. I watched a couple review videos as I have a niece that is interested in this new Defender. I'll just post them.

All modern luxury class SUVs are a money pit with depreciated value that reflects this. Get a Toyota if you want it to sting the least.
I'll just say that my wifes SUV is so far trouble free. It's loaded with the latest tech and lots of power. If it proves to be issue free, we might just keep it. At least until something more desirable comes out.

We also got a relatively low-tech Toyota SUV last winter. The plan at this point is to keep that one until we're too old to drive...

May depend on what you consider "Luxury Class".

Of course, it's a moving target but maybe something like same size/type vehicle but more than a 25% price difference without counting add-on features that are non-essential to someone who knows how to drive, park, check whether they left an infant in the back seat (lol), etc.

Of course, it's a moving target but maybe something like same size/type vehicle but more than a 25% price difference without counting add-on features that are non-essential to someone who knows how to drive, park, check whether they left an infant in the back seat (lol), etc.
There isn't any "luxury class" in a Toyota SUV unless you buy a Land Loser and that is severely outdated.
A moving target. 🚙 lol.....

^ Didn't mean to imply there was, obviously Lexus is Toyota's luxury brand.

Use of the words "outdated" and "loser", tells a bit about the maturity level and irrationality of not accepting that your needs can differ from those of others.

That is the right direction to choose, to not have insane depreciation (the topic of this thread). Remember we are not talking about what features you find nifty (lol) and cutting edge. That is a different topic, highly subjective, and to many people, paying more to end up with a less reliable vehicle that costs more to repair too, is going backwards, a degradation in the automotive industry.

Are you going to do your own repairs of complex electronic systems that only the OEM sells at >$1K each? Have fun with that!

I consider my Jeep a "Luxury Class" SUV based on price point, interior appointments and features. I've cross shopped it with a Mercedes AMG for example (GLE63 AMG) and while the Mercedes had a couple of neat stand-out features, it was no better appointed than the Jeep and materials selection was similar. I also owned an Audi e-tron for a stint and the Jeep has better interior materials, though the Audi had better sound deadening for sure.

That's what I was getting at with my comment. Once you get into leather clad dashes and doors some of the field shifts a bit and you end up with the intrusion/inclusion of trim levels from brands who primarily serve more in the way of the down-market segment.

Too many made and too expensive to be a utility vehicle even in commercial form. If anything it’s better suited to replace the absolute dud that is the current Discovery.

Here in North America the 90 and 110s lost tons of value and shot up big league about 15 years ago. The 1993 110 (NAS) with the 3.9L V8 is by far the most desirable version of the Defender anywhere in the world and is worth 6 figures if left unmodified.

In general resale for the 110 and 130 is very good because they look incredibly cool, are versatile and extremely easy to fix. even in “cruiser country” australia the slow underpowered deefer will go for the same price as a 70-series in the same condition.

Last edited:
The Bronco is going to kill the Defender, at least in value for your dollar. Jeep will be competing hard with the Bronco. All Land Rover can do is hope to sell some before the bronco comes and likely discount it down after the Bronco is common place. All signs point to low resale value imo.

Ask me if i'd rather have a Land Rover turbo engine or a 2.7L Ford Ecoboost powering my quasi off road vehicle.

For a lux SUV, if you want relibility and resale, then my vote goes to the Lexus RX, then Acura MDX. People love 'em.
You can do pretty well right now on a left over 2020 RX 350 or 450h. They run and run. And Lexus service is everything a luxury dealership should be.
I like the F Sport option...
That's my experience. Good luck.

Back