Will new Land Rover Defender hold its value?

I've had to replace engines before the car was sold or delivered, so it's not just JLR suffering this. the cameras are likely a software issue, alas we can't put older versions of software back into modules. Second discovery failure definitely was a tech's fault.

Local dealer has sold their initial allotment. I'm surprised at the demand giving what's going on. Knew they would be popular and most of the sales were probably pre-orders, but still a bit surprising.

They are nice, I like the relatively simple (for a modern vehicle) interior. I think I'll wait at least a model year or two...

Local dealer here has 8 sitting on the lot, and 4 others "in transit".

Haven't seen any "in the wild" yet. These things get really pricey, really quickly.

Local dealer here has 8 sitting on the lot, and 4 others "in transit".

Haven't seen any "in the wild" yet. These things get really pricey, really quickly.
I've seen 5-6 in the past few weeks, but the Cape and Islands are a hotspot for LR's, especially over the past few years.

I've seen 5-6 in the past few weeks, but the Cape and Islands are a hotspot for LR's, especially over the past few years.

Funny thing is, I have seen 3 or 4 Velars in the past couple of weeks but still no Defenders. I guess people are going for luxury, or picking up the Velars at a substantial savings on the pre-owned market.

Funny thing is, I have seen 3 or 4 Velars in the past couple of weeks but still no Defenders. I guess people are going for luxury, or picking up the Velars at a substantial savings on the pre-owned market.
Me too...usually driven by younger folks. At first I didn't quite get the Velar's place in the lineup, but they are selling. It is very tech loaded and seems to be sort of a Range Rover Lite with the looks, feel and interior fit/finish of a full size RR without the capabilities that most folks never use anyway, e.g. off road and towing capacity. It is a big crossover.

Me too...usually driven by younger folks. At first I didn't quite get the Velar's place in the lineup, but they are selling. It is very tech loaded and seems to be sort of a Range Rover Lite with the looks, feel and interior fit/finish of a full size RR without the capabilities that most folks never use anyway, e.g. off road and towing capacity. It is a big crossover.
Hi fellow Land Rover enthusiast! I also was looking forward to the new Defender and was disappointed with the unibody and engine choices.. hardly a rugged reliable vehicle.. Also, due to the suspension set up the Defender can hardly hand a tire larger that I believe 30" ?

I plan to seek out another mid 2000s Discovery II and go back to my old ways.

Attachments

• DSCN1172-2.jpg
    DSCN1172-2.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 12
Hi fellow Land Rover enthusiast! I also was looking forward to the new Defender and was disappointed with the unibody and engine choices.. hardly a rugged reliable vehicle.. Also, due to the suspension set up the Defender can hardly hand a tire larger that I believe 30" ?

I plan to seek out another mid 2000s Discovery II and go back to my old ways.
Not much tire under da fenders 👀

haha nope Was going to put on fenders but hated how it made it look like a jeep. 285/75 r16 tires in my photo.
285’s have always served me well on 4WD pickup’s and came on my Rubicon … so far so good …
Nice rig BTW …

I think Andrew St Pierre White nails the reason that the new Defender will not be embraced by most fans of the old Defender.

I have to agree. It's not an exploration vehicle that would be wise to take waaay off the beaten track. It's just another fancy mall crawler.

I think Andrew St Pierre White nails the reason that the new Defender will not be embraced by most fans of the old Defender.

I have to agree. It's not an exploration vehicle that would be wise to take waaay off the beaten track. It's just another fancy mall crawler.

Agree, sad but you just cannot make something comparable to the old Defender (or Series, early CJ's & FJ's). Between the myriad safety, economy and emissions regs and the consumer demand for more tech and comfort, the days of simple vehicles are gone...at least in the NA and EU markets.

I I was in a new Defender and what limited fun we had showed it is a pretty capable vehicle off road, stock. That said, yes most will be mall crawlers.... I'm considering one though, but within my self imposed rules for modern LR ownership; never but the first model year and gone by 90K miles....

I should add that the wife drives a fancy mall crawler. It's great on-road and in the snow (with snow tires), but it also will never be a vehicle to take on a desolate 4wd trail. It will also likely be gone before it reaches high miles.

The old defender was a rattle box on wheels engineered to be as cheap as possible to make. If you want a utility vehicle just get a pickup truck, if you want to go wheeling go get a brand new wrangler which is more capable than any defender ever made.

Even farmers in the UK have parked up their old defenders for new ford rangers and they just sit in a barn until somebody breaks in and steals it in about 5 seconds.

Last edited:
This brand is all over L.A. mostly seen in its native environment - a flatbed truck, heading to a dealer.

The old defender was a rattle box on wheels engineered to be as cheap as possible to make. If you want a utility vehicle just get a pickup truck, if you want to go wheeling go get a brand new wrangler which is more capable than any defender ever made.

Even farmers in the UK have parked up their old defenders for new ford rangers and they just sit in a barn until somebody breaks in and steals it in about 5 seconds.

Of course. But they were simple and easy to fix.

Unlike this new Defender that in the case of TFL failed at 167 miles, and needed a new engine... Or It's replacement that while being fitted with a factory winch by supposedly factory trained mechanics, they accidentally cut through a wiring harness. A wiring harness that according to JLR (Jaguar/ Land Rover) could not be replaced. So on to the third Defender, it showed a suspension fault while they were showing it to Youtube. Turning it off and back on apparently re-booted the system and erased the fault code, at least for now...

Not quite...actually their cost of production was quite high, they were not suitable for modern, automated production resulting in elevated unit costs. They are also fairly well built, leaks aside. One of the 90/100's benefits were their configurability; station wagon, pickup, 'crew cab' pickup, etc. with that configurability being one of their design's highlights. The 90/110's and Defender variants models saw much commercial and military service throughout most of their [production run.

Having owned several TJ's and Wrangles as well as 90's and Defenders, I would put their stock capabilities equal. As far as the new ones, stock, Wrangler wins.

Which Rovers do you have your experience with?

Last edited:
Back