Will Honda or Toyota offer subcompact replacements in the U.S. soon?

Versa yes to manual.

Sentra no to manual - at least in USA. Maybe in Canada they have it?
I can't imagine it sticking around much longer though. My bet, next time they overhaul Versa, for a new engine, the manual transmission goes away. Costs money to test each and every drivetrain configuration for EPA compliance.

I can't imagine it sticking around much longer though. My bet, next time they overhaul Versa, for a new engine, the manual transmission goes away. Costs money to test each and every drivetrain configuration for EPA compliance.
Maybe. The Versa is a global platform, and so as long as it is popular in a stick elsewhere they will continue to make it. So importing it would simply be about demand in the USA more than likely?

Maybe. The Versa is a global platform, and so as long as it is popular in a stick elsewhere they will continue to make it. So importing it would simply be about demand in the USA more than likely?
Sure, as long as they don't do an engine update. I want to say, every drivetrain setup has to get EPA testing to ensure it passes the requirements. Take rate is low on stick, so unless if they think they can sell enough to recoup the testing cost, and "need" that loss leader so as to get a win on advertising, then yeah, they could keep on selling stickshifts.

When I drive a manual transmission vehicle it is so easy to drive, and no need to even think about it.
When I drive an automatic transmission vehicle I am very conscious of the transmission, it feels odd to me.
Put 714 kms on my honda accord today, can't say that I even gave any thought to the shifting of it.

Last edited:
But it shouldn’t need to.

The Reagan era platform laws were wrong then and are still wrong.

A Euro style of regulation would allow any motor/ Xmsn combination to inexpensively be offered in a given car.

We pay more for mandatory testing than any other nation and still have the most pedestrian deadly cars of any first world nation.
Reform is needed for how and when testing is mandatory , if you test a mustang with a 8 cylinder auto, you should be able to throw in a NA for the 4 cylinder stick version.

Last edited:
Spotted these last night . Miss Alex Trebek and the FESTIVAs we had :( . 1st new car was a Blue '90 FORD Festiva L Plus with the 1.3 Ltr. ( Mazda 121 ) w/ 3 speed auto and a new Blue '91 L followed by the used ( very low mis. ) RED '93 L . Both were a 5 speed manual .

IMG_1182.JPG
IMG_1181.JPG

Last edited:
Wonder how the 2024 Trax stacks up in the cheapo category? Tiny engine but a 6 speed auto tranny vs the CVT offerings and considerably more torque!

The new Trax is powered by a 1.2L turbocharged inline-three engine rated at a GM-estimated 137 horsepower and 162 lb-ft of torque.

Pricing is in the Versa/Rio range.

Pricing for the 2024 Chevy Trax begins at $20,400. Only $3,500 separates the base LS from the top-end Activ grade at $23,900.

Wonder how the 2024 Trax stacks up in the cheapo category? Tiny engine but a 6 speed auto tranny vs the CVT offerings and considerably more torque!
Toyota has the CHR and Honda has the HRV? I feel like these small CUV's get universally dumped on, poor ride / NVH / mpg / utility.

Bit like the Versa/Mirage/Yaris counterparts. If you don't need a tiny vehicle because the parking spots are tiny, you get more by paying more.

I've rented a couple Corollas and hated them. I'm only 5'11" but I didn't like the low roofline and squinty windows. And I kept hitting my head on the roof getting in and out of the car. The Fit is slightly taller and has tons more glass.
Agreed. Loud on the highway too. Dont care for them.

Back