Will Honda or Toyota offer subcompact replacements in the U.S. soon?

I think you can still get a Mirage? Versa, Sentra, Chevy Bolt if you want small EV maybe?
I thought Bolt was EOL, and Mirage was giving signs of being EOL (from a manufacturer that basically everyone is shocked is still in the US), and Versa... well that's Nissan, 'nuff said.

Apparently Mirage dropped manual trans this year. Sometimes I wish I snapped one up when they could be had for $10k. Then again, I spend more of my time at highway speeds than not, so a subcompact isn't just non-ideal, it's really a penalty box. Bumping up a size brings ride comfort. No small thing when our roads can sometimes be described as paved single track.

Short of catastrophe I just don't see the small car market coming back here. Maybe, just maybe, if Congress allowed vehicles that passed Euro crash and emission standards to come over, without having to make OEM's jump through whatever hoops are required here, if that hurdle was removed maybe it'd be easy/cheap for OEM's to do that. If it was as simple as just floating a boat over, maybe... problem is, then you need dealer support, and then... just who is dying to buy a brand new penalty box?

Everyone says they want to buy a brand new station wagon in color brown with a manual transmission. Yet I'm pretty sure no one did.

I thought Bolt was EOL, and Mirage was giving signs of being EOL (from a manufacturer that basically everyone is shocked is still in the US), and Versa... well that's Nissan, 'nuff said.
Mirage sales peaked in 2019 and were only half that many last year, but even its best years were just a shadow of Versa and Fit sales. Makes sense, really, because Versa and Fit were considerably more substantial cars. Like you said, the Mirage is a penalty box. You really do get what you pay for. What was it Car and Driver said about the Mirage? "1987 called and wants its Yugo back"

My dealership could hardly keep the Fit's in stock up until they were discontinued. Had a lot of customers coming in to buy 2 or 3 at a time (courier use, kids first cars etc)

The Mitsu Mirages are ok as an around town car, but don't have the most confidence inspiring highway handling (this is coming from someone who drove a Geo Metro for years lol, even an old Metro felt like a way more "substantial" car)

Mirage sales peaked in 2019 and were only half that many last year, but even its best years were just a shadow of Versa and Fit sales. Makes sense, really, because Versa and Fit were considerably more substantial cars. Like you said, the Mirage is a penalty box. You really do get what you pay for. What was it Car and Driver said about the Mirage? "1987 called and wants its Yugo back"

My prediction is that the Mirage will soon be a rebadged Versa as Mitsubishi is going that way on all their models.

Try to order one get the following…
Since Mirage is discontinued, body colors, options, etc. may not be able to meet your request.

Mirage was discontinued in 2022 but Mitsubishi kept making them for the US market, lol

The Colt will be replacing the aged Mirage.

Last edited:
I think you can still get a Mirage? Versa, Sentra, Chevy Bolt if you want small EV maybe?

Honestly even in the developing world I think Honda has sort of abandoned that market. Mitsubishi, Suzuki I think Toyota still sells smaller stuff overseas?

edit - Yep, you can still get a Yaris in Chile, for 13.490.000 which is just under 17,000 USD

Chile is too far.

Mexico is closer and offers the Yaris.

I drove the Mirage and Versa in 2014(?), both in stick, and Versa wasn't much better. Versa just didn't have nearly the same basic options, but I'm not sure which has better lifespan ahead of it.

Fit might be more of a premium subcompact, but given the size, they're all something of a penalty at highway speeds. Fine around town, but out on the open road... Not sure about 50mph or so, even still they probably lack the mass to absorb some of the typical road irregularities, and then you still have to deal with "everyone else" being in a bigger vehicle and towering over you. Cripes in a Camry I often feel towered over.

The new HRV get awful mpg. So does most of the current generation subcompact crossovers including the new 3 cylinder turbo GM models.

My 2019 2.4l CRV gets within 1-2 mpg of the current gen HRV with about 50 more horsepower.

+2

I bought a Fit mainly on CKN's recommendations. It's a nice size for one person, and is the only one among my four cars which can fit all my keyboard gear, stands and amps in. Unless I am misunderstanding, the HRV doesn't have the same kind of fold-down rear seats.
The new HRV has no flip up seat . Silly move . This feature on our FIT has helped get many large / tall items in it . The rear doors that open wide are a benefit .

Last edited:
My dealership could hardly keep the Fit's in stock up until they were discontinued. Had a lot of customers coming in to buy 2 or 3 at a time (courier use, kids first cars etc)

The Mitsu Mirages are ok as an around town car, but don't have the most confidence inspiring highway handling (this is coming from someone who drove a Geo Metro for years lol, even an old Metro felt like a way more "substantial" car)

Seen them fly by on interstate going well over 80 . So much for fuel economy . :)

Recently I discovered the Honda Amaze

It looks like a miniature version of an Accord and is offered in the Indian market.
It's positioned as smaller than the N. American Fit, and is offered with a manual, CVT for transmissions.
The engine is a conventional 1.2 gasser, but is also offered with a diesel version.
https://www.honda.co.za/cars/amaze

I’ve seen the Honda City which is smaller than the Civic. The Amaze is even smaller. It seems to be specific for the Indian market.

i would appreciate it; as an previous owner of an echo and yaris (yota made) they were excellent vehicles for basic transportation and low cost of ownership.
Likewise, although I feel the Yaris S was a much more solid car than the Echo. I made it a habit to hypermile and got hybrid-like mileage at a much lower vehicle cost. I lowered the Yaris and put a short shifter on - it was a fun car to drive!

I’ve seen the Honda City which is smaller than the Civic. The Amaze is even smaller. It seems to be specific for the Indian market.
The link I posted was for the South African market (as it's in English).
If the Amaze is in S. Africa, I'd imagine there's other African, European and South American countries that get it too.

They do not sell so why? The demand in the US has been towards larger and AWD.
AWD is primarily catering to the stupidity of the population. How am I going to get to the grocery store in a blizzard??!?

Larger is somewhat practical. The move towards safety at all costs that requires longer times in rear-facing child seats affects buying for families. The fact that people are taller, and indeed fatter, doesn’t help.

If the dealers don't even stock them, how would you really know?
Is that just a question which neither of us can answer definitively, or do you have knowledge of some pent up consumer demand for these vehicles that the manufacturers are ignoring. I doubt strongly there is, but could be wrong.

Is that just a question which neither of us can answer definitively, or do you have knowledge of some pent up consumer demand for these vehicles that the manufacturers are ignoring. I doubt strongly there is, but could be wrong.
The fact that manufacturers can't keep the next closet thing is stock suggests that they would sell.

Back