Will Honda or Toyota offer subcompact replacements in the U.S. soon?

The FIT and Yaris are same class as rio, đź’© boxes or more kindly penalty boxes. Not sure why folks would not pony up for the vastly superior Civic or Corolla.
I've rented a couple Corollas and hated them. I'm only 5'11" but I didn't like the low roofline and squinty windows. And I kept hitting my head on the roof getting in and out of the car. The Fit is slightly taller and has tons more glass.

Probably not, but I don’t want a truck or a vanilla crossover driving experience.

I'm with you on this.
A lot of my life has been spent, and still is spent driving semi trucks. When I get out of the big rig, I want a small sporty feeling car that handles like a slot car. Vague steering and feeling of SUVs, pickups, and such reminds me of the rig and work. On my off time I don't want to feel like I'm still driving for work. Drive something like a Fit and if you just think about changing lanes its almost telepathic and a done deal it seems. The road to my best friends house is super twisty, and in something like a Fit there is no need to slow down from normal speed to do the corners. Taking corners at double the posted corner speed is nothing at all. I don't even drive fast, but not needing to slow down for corners is great. If the road has a 90 kms/hr speed limit, I can just set the cruise control on 90 and easily do the corners marked 40, 50, and 60, of which there are plenty. Try that in a rav4 or escalade, and let me know how it ends.

If people were still buying the Yaris we would still have them. Everyone thinks they need a tall hatchback these days which is the weird small crossover that’s become so popular.
as much as i enjoy my 2014 base yaris, which is simple, sprightly and surprisingly roomy, i specifically and purposely mentioned just the toyota yaris cross and yaris gr sport variants.

Is part of the hatred towards small cars because people just don't feel as manly in them, and women consider their suv a status symbol?
I sometimes notice that the small guys drive a lifted 4x4 truck with loud exhaust. Is that a thing to feel bigger?
And women all too often want to feel superiority in the money they spend I've found.

The most insecure woman I've ever met drives an escalade. She has no need for it, and a corollo or fit would make more sense for her needs, but I assume the escalade is to help her feel more important somehow.
Which is ironic because it won't fit in her garage so sits in the driveway, where a small car she could park in her garage.

Is part of the hatred towards small cars because people just don't feel as manly in them, and women consider their suv a status symbol?
I sometimes notice that the small guys drive a lifted 4x4 truck with loud exhaust. Is that a thing to feel bigger?
And women all too often want to feel superiority in the money they spend I've found.

The most insecure woman I've ever met drives an escalade. She has no need for it, and a corollo or fit would make more sense for her needs, but I assume the escalade is to help her feel more important somehow.
Which is ironic because it won't fit in her garage so sits in the driveway, where a small car she could park in her garage.
Your stereotyping based on a small sample. Yes maybe the single people driving a escalade or a bro truck. There is a big difference between an escalade and a Highlander / Rav4 / Camry or a yaris. I would never feel safe having my wife or daughters in a compact car.

I would like to own one myself however - in a go-cart sort of way, but my wife would never let me for the same reason 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

People like what they like for one reason or another, whatever their reasoning might be. I do like well equipped small cars myself. I like the features, but they feel more nimble and the amount of miles I cover sometimes is a huge benefit in fuel economy. I get fun when I want it, efficiency when I need it, and comfort and features to make my drive more convenient.

I think you're exactly right. One fringe benefit about driving a Fit is everyone thinks it's an old man's (or old ladies) car. NOBODY tries to race me from a green light, or flies by me on the highway in a storm of aftermarket catback exhaust noise. And no one is surprised or frustrated when they're behind me and find I'm slow. No surprise there; they saw the Fit badge didn't they?

By contrast, with some of my other cars I get people wanting to street-race me every time I take it out. My WRX? All the time. My Cobalt SS? Well, not as often any more. My Fiero? LOL The "kids" don't know it's basically a Chevy Citation with a V6. It's slow but they want to race. The Fit is perfect anonymity. I could probably rob banks and use it as a getaway car.

Your stereotyping based on a small sample. Yes maybe the single people driving a escalade or a bro truck. There is a big difference between an escalade and a Highlander / Rav4 / Camry or a yaris. I would never feel safe having my wife or daughters in a compact car.

I would like to own one myself however - in a go-cart sort of way, but my wife would never let me for the same reason 🤷‍♂️

Interesting.
Why wouldn't you feel safe to have them in a more nimble vehicle, that stands a better chance of swerving to avoid an accident, and also has superior braking to a behemoth sized vehicle?
Last year my wife, daughter, son in law, and two grandchildren died in an MVA. They were in a large vehicle, and I many times since have wondered if they were in something smaller, if they wouldn't still be alive, because they could have avoided the head on collision.

Interesting.
Why wouldn't you feel safe to have them in a more nimble vehicle, that stands a better chance of swerving to avoid an accident, and also has superior braking to a behemoth sized vehicle?
Last year my wife, daughter, son in law, and two grandchildren died in an MVA. They were in a large vehicle, and I many times since have wondered if they were in something smaller, if they wouldn't still be alive, because they could have avoided the head on collision.
First, sorry for your loss.

Second, accident avoidance is great--if you can avoid. When you can't, the larger vehicle typically wins, unless if it's a rollover (which larger vehicles seem to do more often). I tend to worry about "the other guy", the one that rear ends you, or T bones you, or otherwise out of the blue.

Mind you, I'm not arguing for us driving around in Abrams tanks. Those bigger vehicles tend to do worse when in single vehicle accidents, or at least that is my opinion (more rollover prone, more stored energy, that sort of thing).

Interesting.
I am very sorry for your loss.

Some accidents are tragic and may not matter what your driving. What type of vehicle did they hit?

Everything else being equal, mass typically wins in a head on, rear end or T-bone. Rollovers generally heavy vehicles not as good, however roll overs are the least common accident type. However there are certainly design factors. Unibody tends to absorb better than body on frame. Given the options I would rather have an accident in a modern civic than a 69 caddy that weighs twice as much.

Avoiding the accident altogether is always better, however I imagine a M5 could avoid better than a civic even though it weights more - again all things being equal. However many accidents can't be avoided unfortunately.

There are exceptions to every rule depending on circumstance. Your playing the odds with everything.

I barely drive enough to own a car, but still believe one is a necessity. Almost 100% local, city driving.

Never been a fan of Nissan with CVTs, but with the limited mileage I drive I suspect a Versa may last me awhile.

I barely drive enough to own a car, but still believe one is a necessity. Almost 100% local, city driving.

Never been a fan of Nissan with CVTs, but with the limited mileage I drive I suspect a Versa may last me awhile.

Do they make it with a manual transmission?

Back