Wife's 2013 Hyundai seized up today 94k miles

These Theta-ii engines are very well known for this defect. Something involving lack of lubrication at the lower end of the motor. Initially Hyundai said that this was due to debris left in the oil galleries after manufacturing, but given how long this has been going on I think it's an actual design defect in the engine block itself.
Based on everything I've read I agree. I think it's an inherent design issue with lubrication of the bottom end.

Curious why a well maintained and monitored engine would suddenly seize? ICE engines are 100 year old devices and yes there are new aspects to them, but why at 94k miles? I could better understand a failure at 94 miles because of a fatal flaw. Yes I know about the issue with machining debris not being properly flushed but that should show symptoms far earlier. Unless a pocket of debris was hiding somewhere and riding over a set of railroad tracks just a bit too fast dislodged this debris and then DOOM & DONE.

I know all BITOG want answers.
I was almost starting to trust this car a little bit. I always figured this would happen one day but it never burned a drop of oil so I thought maybe it was one of the good ones.

On the 6.0 when the replacement motor blew you were out of luck.
Yes, and that engine, along with the Maxxforce 7 ultimately led to the dissolution of the relationship between Ford and International. Also, the 6.0L wasn't guaranteed to fail, while they were problematic with the EGR coolers and the very early ones, the head bolts, these things were not beyond being addressed. While with this H/K issue, it sounds like all of them are grenades with the pin pulled.

On the 6.0 when the replacement motor blew you were out of luck.
We actually had a fleet of E-350s with early 6.0 PSDs in them (‘04s & ‘05s)-I don’t think any of them actually grenaded an engine-although there were some VV turbo failures (not mine), blown HGs & EGR coolers (mine leaked coolant from day one, a special Ford “feature”), some FICM & HP fuel sensor trouble. Mine lasted 255K, TorqShift lost reverse-still plenty of trailer pulling power… Backwards was out, though!

Like the negative stuff. The difference between Hyundai and the manufacturer of the (diesel) 6.0 is that they actually stand behind their motors. And you only have to replace the motor once.
Now-there is another scenario with their 10 speed automatic transmissions in the F150 and other vehicles.
The 10R80 is as worthless a turd truck transmission as you would ever want, right up there with our E4ODs in the ‘90s E-250s. At 80K, literally EVERY DAY I’m amazed I’m not leaving metal on the ground… Ford dealer is worse than useless, it’ll go to an indy transmission shop WHEN it blows… It won’t make 100K…

We actually had a fleet of E-350s with early 6.0 PSDs in them (‘04s & ‘05s)-I don’t think any of them actually grenaded an engine-although there were some VV turbo failures (not mine), blown HGs & EGR coolers (mine leaked coolant from day one, a special Ford “feature”), some FICM & HP fuel sensor trouble. Mine lasted 255K, TorqShift lost reverse-still plenty of trailer pulling power… Backwards was out, though!
Of course plenty did.

The 10R80 is as worthless a turd truck transmission as you would ever want, right up there with our E4ODs in the ‘90s E-250s. At 80K, literally EVERY DAY I’m amazed I’m not leaving metal on the ground… Ford dealer is worse than useless, it’ll go to an indy transmission shop WHEN it blows… It won’t make 100K…
Yea. I have a 2020 F150. And it seems many go out before 100,000 miles than you would expect. I must say I just had the transmission adaptive re- learning reset and the KAM cleared and it did help.

I'm surprised OP's engine wasn't using oil. My dad has one, same vintage and it's using a quart every 700 miles. I have no idea how it hasn't grenaded.

Yep. Two dealer maintained 2017 Tucsons at work, both on their third engine in the 60k ish range. 😮
20,000 miles three times in a row. OK sure. Buy a lottery ticket.

This is the Internet...........so it goes.

Last edited:
The dealership said bring oil change receipts. If they're happy with the ones I have (I seem to be missing at least one set of receipts) then it will be no charge. But they could make us pay $195 to check for sludge. Not sure if that is reimbursed or not.
As per the class action settlement

Please also continue to maintain the vehicle per the maintenance requirements in the Owner’s Manual and Owner’s Handbook and retain copies of the maintenance records. If Hyundai believes there to be Exceptional Neglect of the vehicle, you may be required to provide records for vehicle maintenance performed after August 31, 2020 to receive Lifetime Warranty repairs.

If you got the Campaign 953 done, they hope it'll set a P1326 instead of seizing and coming in on the hook like OPs did

Will the dealership provide a loaner vehicle while my vehicle is being repaired?
At the customer’s request, the dealership will provide a loaner vehicle at no cost, if one is available. If a loaner vehicle is unavailable, Hyundai will provide reimbursement of reasonable rental expenses up to $40/day

Best of luck with your new engine OP, perhaps try a 30 or 40 weight changed a little more often
I deal with too many oil burning Theta IIs for comfort

As per the class action settlement

Please also continue to maintain the vehicle per the maintenance requirements in the Owner’s Manual and Owner’s Handbook and retain copies of the maintenance records. If Hyundai believes there to be Exceptional Neglect of the vehicle, you may be required to provide records for vehicle maintenance performed after August 31, 2020 to receive Lifetime Warranty repairs.

If you got the Campaign 953 done, they hope it'll set a P1326 instead of seizing and coming in on the hook like OPs did

Will the dealership provide a loaner vehicle while my vehicle is being repaired?
At the customer’s request, the dealership will provide a loaner vehicle at no cost, if one is available. If a loaner vehicle is unavailable, Hyundai will provide reimbursement of reasonable rental expenses up to $40/day

Best of luck with your new engine OP, perhaps try a 30 or 40 weight changed a little more often
I deal with too many oil burning Theta IIs for comfort

When my son had his motor replaced in his Sonata they paid for a rental for two weeks-as long as the repair took.

But you made the implication H/K was doing this out of the kindness of their hearts.
No it’s a company and culture who still dislikes Japan and others …
(They are more overt about it) …
Think about what company they might target the most by selling cars so cheap when they enter global markets …
BTW, I lived there …

Back