Wife ran out of gas

It was a really weird because my wife went to pick up our kid from an evening class. Then I got some calls from a phone number I didn't recognize and I didn't answer. Then I got a text that sounded like it was my wife with information she would know, and said she forgot her phone (and implied borrowing someone else's). Indicated that her car wouldn't start and could I pick them up?

So I get there, and the hood on my wife's Civic is up, although the prop rod isn't in the right place. I'm pretty sure that my wife put it up that way. She says that other people told her there was probably something wrong with the ignition, that they could smell gas and apparently looked at the ignition to see that it was sparking. And I'm all skeptical because this is a distributorless ignition with a coil on plug design and no way to just pull the boot and see if it sparks on the valve cover like I'd seen years ago demonstrate by a mechanic. Someone even apparently tried to jump it, although when I got there the battery seemed strong (a 4 year old Deka that even went through months sitting unused and occasionally charged manually) where I could tell the battery and starter were fine without the clicking sound of a starter that just isn't getting enough juice. But somehow someone else convinced her that the battery had an issue because "the battery light was on" when she tried to start it. Only - all the indicator lights turn on when trying to start before they turn off and only stay on if there's an issue.

So I figure we need gas, although my wife seems skeptical. But I know she runs on fumes all the time and has just gotten lucky. I didn't want to buy a new can but remembered I kept an old gas can at my parents' place to help them out with power equipment. Not the new kind to reduce evaporation, but an old-school Blitz plastic can with a spout that just pulls out and potentially leaks a bit. So I go there with the family and my dad shows me two cans, including the one he bought (seemed just like the one I bought) that has a little gas. Only I'm not going to put in 2 year old gas, but take my old can that seems dry.

So we go fill the can up as a gas station, get back to her car, and I pour it in. It hesitates for a few seconds (I guess since the pump was dry) and then starts up nice and strong like it usually does. My wife drives it home and I find a place to stash the can.

But still - there were several people who were telling my wife things such as it needing to be fixed or that somehow it wasn't sparking when there was no way to tell. And I knew that even if one coil was bad, it would still start but sound odd. And she was ready to call for a tow, although I think AAA roadside service would have probably tried giving some gas first.
I only have one thing to add to all of this and anyone reading. **ALWAYS ANSWER YOUR PHONE, EVERY TIME** as when the person on the other side is genuinly having an emergency that you might be able to get to first, (before a first responder) then seconds can count.

With aging parents I have had all kinds of weird things happen and strange phone numbers come up on caller ID.

What is so fantastic about smart phones these days, is they have an icon on the screen (and prior a physical button) that is usually a red color that says the word "END". If you somehow answer a telemarketer / spammer, you do not need to get mad, you do not need to get into an argument, you just press "END" and move along.

When your wife and /or family gets hypothermia / frostbite on the side of the road "because you didn't answer your phone..... because you didn;t recognize the number" you can explain that to them.

When your wife and /or family gets hypothermia / frostbite on the side of the road "because you didn't answer your phone..... because you didn;t recognize the number" you can explain that to them.

That’s a bit of a stretch now is it? Unless you have some sort of rare ability to get to places faster than emergency services. But most of us don’t.

Besides that, able adults should be able to take care of themselves and not blame others for not picking up a phone, especially from some strangers number, for their troubles. IMO

Well having owned a 55 VW and 1959 VW Bus which had no gas gauge in either one, I can say that I wrote down the odometer reading each fill up. They did have a valve to turn to get an extra 1.5 gallon, but you must remember to put it back in the normal position after you fill the tank. I would just go 200 miles and refill the tank.

I only have one thing to add to all of this and anyone reading. **ALWAYS ANSWER YOUR PHONE, EVERY TIME** as when the person on the other side is genuinly having an emergency that you might be able to get to first, (before a first responder) then seconds can count.

With aging parents I have had all kinds of weird things happen and strange phone numbers come up on caller ID.

What is so fantastic about smart phones these days, is they have an icon on the screen (and prior a physical button) that is usually a red color that says the word "END". If you somehow answer a telemarketer / spammer, you do not need to get mad, you do not need to get into an argument, you just press "END" and move along.

In the San Francisco Bay Area during May?

Back