Wife is making grumblings about new vehicle....

Meh, there's something nice about SUVs. I definitely miss my SUVs and my next vehicle will be larger. Literally the only thing I don't like about Bolty is that it isn't an SUV. So, I'd wait, personally.
What on earth is nice about them? They literally do nothing well, except raise the road toll and raise consumption of resources and make car makers and oil companies wealthy...

I don’t think there is anything inherently wrong with Tiguan in the CUV segment, therefore I would not have any objections to it.
The safest choice is probably RAV4, but the interior of that thing is cheaper than the Grand Caravan your wife currently drives.

Everything else in the segment has either a small turbo DI engine, just DI, or a CVT or CVT and di turbo. So pick your poison.

My daughter was looking at Tiguans I told her to look at the CRV and she went with the CRV. She went for top of line sport Touring but there are lower trims which are about 35k. If you get the hybrid you will get about 35mpg combine...best Tiguan will do is around 25. When you factor i Honda reliability I thought it was a no brainier. She got 4.9% financing and about 2k off sticker. If you look at my posts on it you can get some info. Just an FYI we had 3 VW's and 4 Audi's so we aren't afraid of German brands I just thought the Honda would be better. The VW is an OLD design has been around pretty much unchanged since 2018.

Mazda CX-5 is another great choice but it is much smaller..if that isn't an issue no problem

Here is a CRV for example:

With respect to Tiguan MPG my wife with heavy highway driving manages 29-30 MPG average.

My dead easy commute of 47 miles in 46 mins I can manage 33 MPG with a 2018 Tiguan.

That is not combined however the listed MPG of 21/27 MPG on our window sticker is way off.

The worst MPG we ever got was 23.5 MPG loaded with 5 people , gear and roof box / bike on top coupled to 4 bikes on hitch.

She is telling me how much she like the daughter's Tiguan. Now that I am retired I am not sure I want to dump $35K on a new car. Her van has near 100k miles, my car has 60K miles and our go to the dump pickup has in the 80's. They all run well without issues. Knock on wood. I suppose my question is: Besides the Tiguan, what other compact SUV's are recommended by the folks here? With reading about the better life of CVT's nowadays they can be included. It will be her vehicle and she will probably be oblivious to it anyways. So, best quality, longest lasting, best performance, fit and finish, warranty.....everything that should be considered is in the mix. Oil burners are out,(i'm not talking about diesels), 100k mile head replacements are out too. So what say y'all?
Consider yourself lucky on two counts - you can afford a new car at this stage of life, and,
Yours grumbles. Mine squawks.

Last edited:
This is just an observation regarding these "new car in the wind.." threads.

Responders give some solid advice. Some of that is purely anecdotal.
I actually love that so many BITOGers issue 'warnings' about vehicles. "Don't make the mistake I did", posts are needed.
Rarely are the needs of the driver described and "Mom's wants" often seem set in stone.

So 'proven good' vehicles are repeatedly mentioned but mental gridlock still abounds.

Heck, I had neighbors (good folk), where the wife picked her car by the configuration of the door card.
Her elbow had to hit it in the right way.

With respect to Tiguan MPG my wife with heavy highway driving manages 29-30 MPG average.

My dead easy commute of 47 miles in 46 mins I can manage 33 MPG with a 2018 Tiguan.

That is not combined however the listed MPG of 21/27 MPG on our window sticker is way off.

The worst MPG we ever got was 23.5 MPG loaded with 5 people , gear and roof box / bike on top coupled to 4 bikes on hitch.
I said combined MPG, sure you can get about 30mpg on the highway or if you have an easy commute but if you have any types of traffic or lights or even short trips there is no way you can get 30mpg. We have a 2019 Q5 which is a glorified Tiguan and it has a much more efficient DSG trans and we get 24-25 MPG combined When I do long trips I get 31-32. My daughter honestly gets 35-36 MPG short trips and all and that is calculated over 5k miles. That is where hybrid shines. Your commute is 47 miles do some sort trips and see what your MPG is.

She is telling me how much she like the daughter's Tiguan. I suppose my question is: Besides the Tiguan, what other compact SUV's are recommended by the folks here? With reading about the better life of CVT's nowadays they can be included. It will be her vehicle and she will probably be oblivious to it anyways. So, best quality, longest lasting, best performance, fit and finish, warranty.....everything that should be considered is in the mix. Oil burners are out,(i'm not talking about diesels), 100k mile head replacements are out too. So what say y'all?

How 'bout a new VW TAOS AWD for mid 20's? Big rebates now.
If she like the Tiguan she will like the TAOS I would imagine.
The only downside is a short PT warranty of 4/50 instead of the usual 5/60

Screenshot 2024-07-01 101753.jpg

Screenshot 2024-07-01 101920.jpg

You must test drive the CX-5. I've had Honda's, Subaru's, a Mitsubishi, an Eagle, and an audi.

The CX-5 is the best across reliability, handling, ride, mechanical design, interior, and joy of driving.

With three vehicles, I'd suggest to the wife that you *also* get a new vehicle, and drop down to 2 vehicles. See how she reacts to that! :D
I have not driven a newer Tiguan, but I would be surprised if the CX-5 was better in the handling and joy of driving categories.

And both of my Mazda 2.5T engines use way more oil than my old GTI EA888 ever did.

How 'bout a new VW TAOS AWD for mid 20's? Big rebates now.
If she like the Tiguan she will like the TAOS I would imagine.
The only downside is a short PT warranty of 4/50 instead of the usual 5/60

View attachment 227822
View attachment 227823
I was under the understanding the Taos engine has head failure issues that have yet to be addressed..The 2.0 VW engine is pretty tried and true at this late generational stage.
I asked the wife last night if she wanted to go out this week and do some looking and she said why?
So......I won't profess to know the inner workings of her mind or women's minds in general, it looks like I have received a reprieve until she changes her mind and telepathically communicates her decision to me. I will then be in the dog house because I am not a mind reader. You would think after 40+ years I would have more understanding but you would be wrong.
Thanks for all the thoughtful comments and I will revisit this topic when she makes her next murky request. BTW, she was pressuring me a while back about a RV and I flat out said no. I told her that for the initial and ongoing costs that we could spend many nights in hotels, buy many gallons of gasoline and eat meals cooked by strangers probably until the time I lose the ability to drive because of age. I suppose I could have leveraged her RV desire into a new larger truck for me to haul whatever trailer she chose, but those costs would truly drain our savings to what I feel would be a dangerous level. So until the next time.

RAV4 Hybrid.
Have her test drive one, and let her decide, as suggested.

I'm not saying don't test drive one, but at the moment and foreseeable future RAV4 Hybrids are scarce. If you really want one suggest waiting or going for the non hybrid version. No real need for someone who is retired and probably not driving to own a hybrid.

I said combined MPG, sure you can get about 30mpg on the highway or if you have an easy commute but if you have any types of traffic or lights or even short trips there is no way you can get 30mpg. We have a 2019 Q5 which is a glorified Tiguan and it has a much more efficient DSG trans and we get 24-25 MPG combined When I do long trips I get 31-32. My daughter honestly gets 35-36 MPG short trips and all and that is calculated over 5k miles. That is where hybrid shines. Your commute is 47 miles do some sort trips and see what your MPG is.
The Tiguan motor is Budack cycle and only has 184 HP (efficiency tuned) coupled to way more efficient 8 speed AISIN automatic. It’s not the same driveline as Q5….

I'm not saying don't test drive one, but at the moment and foreseeable future RAV4 Hybrids are scarce. If you really want one suggest waiting or going for the non hybrid version. No real need for someone who is retired and probably not driving to own a hybrid.
Hybrid is worth it just for the better driving experience, better power, smoother power delivery. I drive both due to my work, and I couldn't see owning a gas once you drive the hybrid. The fuel savings is just an additional benefit.

I have not driven a newer Tiguan, but I would be surprised if the CX-5 was better in the handling and joy of driving categories.

And both of my Mazda 2.5T engines use way more oil than my old GTI EA888 ever did.
American Tiguan and Atlas are tuned for the US market.
Atlas is a perfect example of why Germans should NEVER try to build soft suspension. They should stick to idea of maximizing handling performance.
The biggest complaint among Atlas owners is that the suspension is too soft. I will admit that once loaded, it is exceptionally compliant. But empty, it floats way too much. So, don't think Tiguan for the US market handles better than Mazda CX-5.

American Tiguan and Atlas are tuned for the US market.
Atlas is a perfect example of why Germans should NEVER try to build soft suspension. They should stick to idea of maximizing handling performance.
The biggest complaint among Atlas owners is that the suspension is too soft. I will admit that once loaded, it is exceptionally compliant. But empty, it floats way too much. So, don't think Tiguan for the US market handles better than Mazda CX-5.
Top heavy, oversized and obese SUV + soft suspension is a recipe for rollover and general unhappiness. You have to crank the spring rates right up to stop the stupid things falling over which is why they all ride like crap.

Top heavy, oversized and obese SUV + soft suspension is a recipe for rollover and general unhappiness. You have to crank the spring rates right up to stop the stupid things falling over which is why they all ride like crap.
There are A LOT of SUV's that handle better than many cars and have very compliant suspension. I owned a 2013 BMW X5 diesel, and that thing will outhandle most cars. I did 5200-mile road trips in pure enjoyment in that vehicle.
And I am a car person that drives a BMW stick every day, because, car.

There are A LOT of SUV's that handle better than many cars and have very compliant suspension. I owned a 2013 BMW X5 diesel, and that thing will outhandle most cars. I did 5200-mile road trips in pure enjoyment in that vehicle.
And I am a car person that drives a BMW stick every day, because, car.
It's obviously a spectrum on both sides, but all other things being equal a car handles better - because physics.

The big problem with modern SUVs is that electronics and drivers aids will mask a lot of inherent failings - so under most normal conditions they present as "handling well" - until it really hits the fan and physics helpfully demonstrates what the actual limits are and no electronic aids will save your arse...

It's obviously a spectrum on both sides, but all other things being equal a car handles better - because physics.

The big problem with modern SUVs is that electronics and drivers aids will mask a lot of inherent failings - so under most normal conditions they present as "handling well" - until it really hits the fan and physics helpfully demonstrates what the actual limits are and no electronic aids will save your arse...
Everything has limits, including cars.
WHen I was talking about X5, I was talking about actual handling, not electronically assisted stuff.
My wife's Tiguan, 2011, one that has stiff, typical VW suspension, is an absolute blast to drive, and I will take that CUV to track against many cars. So, it is possible to make SUVs handle well, the same as it is possible to make cars handle like crap.
What I am talking about when it comes to the current Tiguan in the US is that it is tuned differently, not because of inherent weaknesses of SUV type of vehicle, but because. VW made that choice.

Back