Wierd roof rack / carrier trend

Hi guys,

Not that I didnt do strange things with my cars in my 20's, but whats with the strange roof top carrier trend the past few years?

Never anything in them.....and usually on modified cars.

I have a Subaru and wouldnt consider one now because I see so many slammed VWs and Hondas with them......odd

Actually haven’t noticed but years ago my son had one of those clamshell Escargo portable carriers strapped to his Camry. For a family of four, It served the purpose for vacations.

Hi guys,

Not that I didnt do strange things with my cars in my 20's, but whats with the strange roof top carrier trend the past few years?

I have a Subaru and wouldnt consider one now because I see so many slammed VWs and Hondas with them......odd

It's the cool thing now. Stick a roof rack or bike rack on aaaaand.......never travel anywhere.

I get the premise, but I hate lifting things over my head. And the wind drag. I rarely used my roof rack when I had one on my car.

But I get it, trends come and trends go. Just another one that isn't my cup of tea. Maybe if I got an offroader I'd have to get one, so as to fit in, regardless of usage. Can't go against the flow, you know.

I half-seriously considered getting a roof-mounted bike rack for my WRX in hopes it might dissuade the would-be street-racers from revving at me at stop lights ("Oh, that guy won't want to race; not with that bike on the roof!"). But I much prefer the hitch-mounted bike racks instead so I use that when I want to haul my bike with me.

Trendy? Really. It's a tool and vehicle capacity and accommodation device. Who cars about trends? Maybe me, lol.

Funny story, back in the early late sixties and early seventies I wore sneakers as they were comfortable back when every one was wearing ankle height zipper boots. I got laughed at for being a dorkmunder.

Then the running shoe thenlater b-ball sneaks craze hit and I stopped wearing the things. I went with canvas loafers with no laces. Easy on easy off and comfortable, not to much derision as I was operating in the pseudo yuppie sphere.

Now its semi-laced work boots all the time. WHAT!? Oh, you is so cool and tough dude!

Loafers good for everyone ? Just not good for running .... away

Hi guys,

It's all just conjecture without pictures.

Haven't really noticed it here, maybe I'm not looking. I did debate getting something for our Cruze for family trips but opted to just (barely) squeeze in.

I’ve got five cars with roof racks. I added the rack to the R to be able to carry skis. I’m not skiing right now, so, the rack is “empty”.

What is weird about that?

I’ve got five cars with roof racks. I added the rack to the R to be able to carry skis. I’m not skiing right now, so, the rack is “empty”.

What is weird about that?
I am thinking this is more about the Roof basket type things.

An empty kayak carrier would be normal because you dont take kayak to work with you in the morning or remove the rack every day.

I do see plenty that seem just for looks... MPG penalty as well as wind noise.. makes me wonder why, but plenty of dumber stuff to scratch your head over nowadays.

Guy who bought my subaru skid plates showed up in a fully primered crosstrek with a basket on it bigger than the entire roof.. with gas can and spare tire up there...
yes the regular size tire that fits in the car. Think he might have been working towards the zombie apocalypse look.

Roof racks were cool, back when they had cool stuff on them. I've always used the clamshell boxes, they keep stuff out of the sun and are easy to remove

An empty kayak carrier would be normal because you dont take kayak to work with you in the morning or remove the rack every day.

I do see plenty that seem just for looks... MPG penalty as well as wind noise.. makes me wonder why, but plenty of dumber stuff to scratch your head over nowadays.

Guy who bought my subaru skid plates showed up in a fully primered crosstrek with a basket on it bigger than the entire roof.. with gas can and spare tire up there...
yes the regular size tire that fits in the car. Think he might have been working towards the zombie apocalypse look.
Exactly!

That actually sounds awesome

The people that always have a cargo basket on their SUV?

I'm sure they enjoy the penalty of wasted gas to look cool, as if they are living the overlanding lifestyle day to day from the comfort of their home.

1688748896831.jpg

Back