why use synthetic when Dino is so good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: cb_13

The carbureted straight 6 is dead and not coming back. Get over it!

just too bad one of the OEM's doesn't do a turbo straight 6 gasser for use in full size pickups. They sure have the compartment space to do that.. Inline 6's generally have great reliability. Freshen up the design and slap a turbo on it, and I would bet it would be a pretty good motor with fantastic low end torque. Simpler and probably less costly to build in full production. Though the length would be longer than a V motor, the overall real estate that the motor would consume under the hood would be less. A single turbo would suffice instead of having to do two of them like on many V motors.

Originally Posted By: NO2
1. Cold weather starts: 0w-20 starts easily at -35F to -40F. If you live in the far north that is a concern. Dino 5w-20 does not.

What part of the world gets down to -35F to -40F ?

Are there people living there ?
shocked.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
1. Cold weather starts: 0w-20 starts easily at -35F to -40F. If you live in the far north that is a concern. Dino 5w-20 does not.

shocked.gif

I think the point is if the oil flows at this temperature, then temperatures where most people live (where it regularly gets to 0F in the winter) will mean the oil protects very well at startup.

shocked.gif

North of your border,
laugh.gif
08.gif

Originally Posted By: jdavis
Originally Posted By: dave1251
Many bitogers are oil snobs.

fixed it for you.

+2

Originally Posted By: ram_man
If you guys were going to switch to a conventional oil which would it be ? Which does best di engines? And if you were going to stay with synthetic and not do Mobil products what would be on your short list? Any oil these focuses seem to prefer?

PYB 5W30

If you guys were going to switch to a conventional oil which would it be?
MS5K; pretty well proven in these parts.
And if you were going to stay with synthetic and not do Mobil products what would be on your short list?
If not M1 for synthetic, then SOPUS products, followed by BP products.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
If you guys were going to switch to a conventional oil which would it be?
MS5K; pretty well proven in these parts.
And if you were going to stay with synthetic and not do Mobil products what would be on your short list?
If not M1 for synthetic, then SOPUS products, followed by BP products.

I'm a Pennzoil fan. It's always given me good results. However the results of your UOA's with MS5K were extremely impressive. I would not hesitate to use it in any application that it met the specification for. So I would say PYB or MS5K as top conventional choices.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Originally Posted By: cb_13

The carbureted straight 6 is dead and not coming back. Get over it!

just too bad one of the OEM's doesn't do a turbo straight 6 gasser for use in full size pickups. They sure have the compartment space to do that.. Inline 6's generally have great reliability. Freshen up the design and slap a turbo on it, and I would bet it would be a pretty good motor with fantastic low end torque. Simpler and probably less costly to build in full production. Though the length would be longer than a V motor, the overall real estate that the motor would consume under the hood would be less. A single turbo would suffice instead of having to do two of them like on many V motors.

A GTDI straight six in a half ton truck is something I would love to see!

shocked.gif

Yes, Merk, I do, and I do go to work in that weather. What's worse, I make my staff go to work in such weather.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak

shocked.gif

Yes, Merk, I do, and I do go to work in that weather. What's worse, I make my staff go to work in such weather.
wink.gif

You you you...heathen.
wink.gif

For me cost per mile is lower with on sale bought syns than on sale conventional oil. On sale jugs can be had for 30 bucks or less. I'd need to find conventionals for under 15 bucks a jug to make the cost equal or lesser.
And less maintenance is nice too.

I also drive a 2014 Ford Focus. I'm not going to use anything worse than the SynBlend factory fill, and I'm happy to spend an extra $7/fill for Mobil1 since I probably spend ~$7k/year to own and operate the car.

Originally Posted By: Garak
wink.gif

Those temperatures would trigger a statewide emergency here in California.
grin2.gif

Either is fine, go with what you know and like. My 1993 Toyota Hilux 4x4 pickup was born and raised on Amsoil and after it reached 100,000 miles, Mobil 1 High Mileage. WHen I overhauled the engine last year, the valves, pistons, crankshaft, etc. was clean. My mechanic friends said the same and asked what was the mileage and year. They couldn't believe their eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back