why use synthetic when Dino is so good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Marco620
If I can get 1mpg more from Pennzoil Ultra vs Pennzoil Yellow Bottle its worth it. ...

If you use the same viscosity PU and PYB then I doubt you will get a measurable MPG difference.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
Originally Posted By: Marco620
If I can get 1mpg more from Pennzoil Ultra vs Pennzoil Yellow Bottle its worth it. ...

If you use the same viscosity PU and PYB then I doubt you will get a measurable MPG difference.

Out of the bottle I'd agree. but what about the point at the end of the OCI, that is when the differences should be noticed.
If your OCI is 3000 miles and 3months then probably not.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Why use dino when synthetic (& synblends) can be as cheap or cheaper? Such as the famous O'Reilly 3 quarts of NextGen for $1 after coupon, or the WM 10W30 MaxLife syn for $16.87-$20 rebate!

Ding..ding..ding!
We have the winning post.
If we assume that a synthetic oil has any advantages, then why not use it for the same or less coin?
Considering the cars in my sig, 2 have FAR syn in them, one has $12.15/jug syn, another has FAR syn blend while the spendthrift oil was TGMO at $3.64/qt.
Deals abound, so why not take advantage of them?
Of course, traveling too far down this path soon leads to a few hundred quarts of FAR or really cheap oil.
Probably not a bad thing, if you have enough vehicles to maintain.
We have two more than will fit in my sig, so I may qualify.

I've run PYB straight/blended with PP and have very good results from my neighbors UOA's. Some of my favorite blends for the hot NYC summer runs are 1 Gallon of PYB with 2 quarts of PP or 1 Gallon of Shell Rotella Triple protection 10w30 and 2 quarts of Formula Shell Dino in API-SM and/or Formula Shell full synthetic. The blends hold up well in the summer heat and city traffic and will last up to 7K with spotless engines.

Currently, I'm up to 6K on a sump of Formula Shell Dino, API-SM, and I'll be changing very soon to PYB API-SN with 2 quarts of PP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back