Why the push for Autonomous driving?

I'm trying to envision how self driving cars do in snow and slush? Hills and corners in these conditions need some unique judgement and inputs to navigate? Judging icy spots vs wet?
Maybe with self driving snow plows there will be 4 times the number of pickup sized snow plows running much more often to keep the roads clear most of the time, instead of the a small fleet of big trucks that really only want to cover the road network once or twice per storm?

I love how the autonomous "summoned" vehicle drives on the wrong side of the road (in the parking lot) and stops there. It would cause chaos in a busy lot. Also interesting how much dry steering it does at a stop.

Autonomous as it's being referred to here isn't available in a consumer product. If it's not legally responsible(it isn't), then it's not really autonomous.

In my opinion, autonomous driving initially started out as a high dollar option on a vehicle only wealthy people could afford and the other car makers recognized that their wealthy customers coveted this "rare, status defining option" and wanted it available to them. Now that the rest of the car makers are catching up and are starting to make this feature available, safety watchdogs and government agencies are teaming up to use this feature as a way of trying to control how the public drives on the roadways. Like most things, this initially was started with good intentions (of improving safety). However, things are starting to get muddied up now that more and more people are getting involved with figuring out how to regulate this feature. There's much, much more to this but I believe this to be a short synopsis of the state of things.

In my opinion, autonomous driving initially started out as a high dollar option on a vehicle only wealthy people could afford and the other car makers recognized that their wealthy customers coveted this "rare, status defining option" and wanted it available to them. Now that the rest of the car makers are catching up and are starting to make this feature available, safety watchdogs and government agencies are teaming up to use this feature as a way of trying to control how the public drives on the roadways. Like most things, this initially was started with good intentions (of improving safety). However, things are starting to get muddied up now that more and more people are getting involved with figuring out how to regulate this feature. There's much, much more to this but I believe this to be a short synopsis of the state of things.
It's a really crap driver aid that too many people blindly trust, that's all it is.

You forgot the part where the government AI (code name Big Brother) decides if you're permitted to go where you want to go.
Yeah but there's a benefit too, people who are incapable of driving will be able to have Independence that is normally associated with driving. I remember when my father gave up his driver's license after he had a stroke because he knew his reaction time for too poor to be safe on the road. Yet he still had his mind and was active as a scout leader and also a major organizer for the entire Troop including arranging trips. But he had to rely on people to take him places, and an autonomous vehicle would have given him much more freedom to continue doing things that he was still mentally quite capable of doing much easier than having to always have someone ride him someplace. And that's just one example.

I think the push is more that industry wants autonomous vehicles everything from delivery vehicles to people moving vehicles.
Fleets and fleets of them sold to corporations who use them for profit.
Then down the road, possibly private or autonomous vehicles doing double duty as Uber drivers as the owner rests at home🤗

I think the push is more that industry wants autonomous vehicles everything from delivery vehicles to people moving vehicles.
Fleets and fleets of them sold to corporations who use them for profit.
Then down the road, possibly private or autonomous vehicles doing double duty as Uber drivers as the owner rests at home🤗

Elon’s dream!

That AND I'm reasonably sure that these self driving vehicles are programmed in places where it doesn't snow and possibly by people who have never driven in it.
Well I guess the idea is to figure it out in fairly optimal conditions and then go from there. I think if everything was AWD and the roads had a non-visual "slot car" system where they all run in the same tracks, and had direct communications between vehicles, you could have automated cars doing 60mph through white outs. But that will take a while to figure out and implement.
The possibilities are kind of neat though, I could have my electric tractor blow snow in the middle of the night without me waking up.... And then have it notified when the municipal plow went by and filled the driveway and it would go out and clear that for me at 5am...

It's as if you assume that everyone is OK owning a AWD vehicle.
I don't even know how much more it costs for a AWD electric vs 2wd? Telsa charges 20% for the AWD vs RWD Model 3 but the AWD also gets a bigger battery.
I kind of see autonomous EV's going to more of a commodity type product and being built to last, or be rebuilt. Once you eliminate the need for ever increasing improved safety equipment, and driving as entertainment, car design can get pretty simple and remain the same for quite a while.

I don't even know how much more it costs for a AWD electric vs 2wd? Telsa charges 20% for the AWD vs RWD Model 3 but the AWD also gets a bigger battery.
I kind of see autonomous EV's going to more of a commodity type product and being built to last, or be rebuilt. Once you eliminate the need for ever increasing improved safety equipment, and driving as entertainment, car design can get pretty simple and remain the same for quite a while.
It's reduced mileage and increased maintenance for AWD, which is why I'd never buy one.

It's not just mechanical, It takes a second electric motor as well and part of the reason for the larger battery other than range is power supply to 2 motors(3 in the Plaid). I'm not exactly sure what the exact figures are with Tesla, but with Lucid's 3 motor setup each motor is capable of 600hp, but the battery can't output more than 1200hp at a time, so it power splits that between the 3 motors for best traction.

I don't think not having AWD is a deal breaker. The car has driven fine being RWD in our weather conditions. It handles slick and icy conditions better than the GTI. If I was buying one for my daily use I'd get at least the AWD for the long range for a bit more headroom with my driving usage even if I didn't go the additional step for a Performance.

I will buy an "autonomous" vehicle when I can just set it loose to deliver ubereats, doordash, skipthedishes and run uber passengers around to earn its keep.

Did anyone see the video online where a Tesla dodges another Tesla just to be rammed from behind by another Tesla, 3 Teslas crashed and presumably filming was done by 4th Tesla.

Where autonomous driving works well is when crawling on I5 during a rush hour in California. You can eat or surf the net and let the car do the driving.
I think a lot of people are going to sleep in their cars if autonomous driving ever gets perfected. Then think about the people who will use it as an opportunity to justify their long commute as well.

Back