Why isn't High Performance Lubricants advertised as a long OCI oil?

How many people run M1 EP oil at 6,000 mile oil change intervals and think it is a better oil for reducing wear over regular M1because it lasts longer? Extended oil change intervals are something to be taken with a grain of salt. Some engines and vehicle operations can allow extended oil change intervals with ease and some vehicles and engines cannot despite the blend of the oil.

How many people run M1 EP oil at 6,000 mile oil change intervals and think it is a better oil for reducing wear over regular M1because it lasts longer? Extended oil change intervals are something to be taken with a grain of salt. Some engines and vehicle operations can allow extended oil change intervals with ease and some vehicles and engines cannot despite the blend of the oil.
I agree, which is why if you plan on doing extended OCIs get UOA data from your vehicle, under the conditions you drive it in. Blanket statements or UOAs from someone on the www that ran the same oil, in the same vehicle as yours doesn't mean much.

Many variables can keep you from getting to the magic number promised on the bottle. It's almost impossible to avoid stop and go traffic,high temperature, extreme idling, ecu tuning,racing,etc. In the perfect world we would have a port injection engine like Honda R18 with a Jaguar-sized oil pan capable of holding 8-12quarts. Kinda reminds me of why Pontiac Fiero were always catching fire;more power but subpar oil capacity and just total snafu from both builder/consumer.

With its high quality base stocks and better ad pack why isn't it advertised as say a 20,000 mile OCI oil
Probably due to various logistics issues.

Last spring and summer I tested the HPL multi-synthetic high performance motor oil 5W20 in our 2015 PathFinder and the 5W30 in our 2012 Frontier using the same Fram filters as with my own formulae.

Testing at 3,000, 7,500 and 12,000 miles showed both oils had a very low oxidization rate, and considering both engines are fuel diluters, I could have easily gone to 15k without any concerns.

Ah, my mistake. Sorry...so...

Five seems perfectly reasonable to me. :cool:

One for each kid, one for my wife, and one for me. My youngest just graduated from college last year - and will be going to grad/med school next year, and she will need a car, so, time for another Volvo! It's not like these things are new. I've just got a collection of P2 chassis cars that are in good shape cosmetically, and excellent shape mechanically. Still have zero car payments, and I like it that way.
When are you going to get a newer model SPA Volvo?

The bottom line is that extending OCIs past the OEM limit should never be a guessing game. You should take into account:
- the equipment history in terms of general reliability
- the unique operational parameters
- the unique maintenance plan
- UOAs
- the lube capabilities
- the associated costs of the above relative to ROI
All these together will let you know if an "extending" an OCI is a smart or foolish decision.

Well said and I would point out even the OEMs OCI should not be treated as golden. Many if not all of them come with fine print that change the OCI based on how the vehicle is driven and environment. With all the different factors any one-size fits all statement will be wrong for many. That goes double for any oil company printing an OCI on their label. reminds me of that scene in Tommy Boy about what a guarantee printed on the box is worth. Without obtaining and examining the information from your own engine you are just guessing. Trust, but verify.

Certainly as far as warranty coverages go you can't go wrong with OEM OCIs with OEM spec. But how long is the warranty period? How much does the manufacture care how long that vehicle stays in service? I mean these are the folks telling us we never have to change our transmission fluid. I could run my engine on any house brand 0w30 for 60k miles and other than topping off occasionally have no issues during that time. Does that mean 60k OCIs are ok? The chances of that engine making it past 200k are pretty darn slim though. Engines are like people, the life you lose from bad habits in your youth comes off at the end, by that time it's often too late to change the course.

Honestly....when you say 20,000 mile oil change the next word which comes to mind is madness. I was a victim of a sludged up 1999 Toyota Solara 4 cylinder which I was told that would last forever. Even if an oil is manufactured with the best of the best Im not running it 20000 miles.

I bought that Solara and a guy walked by smiling telling me how it would last forever. I felt good. Fast forward to 200,000 miles and Im stuck on a highway in NYC with rod knock and the Solara getting towed.

Honestly....when you say 20,000 mile oil change the next word which comes to mind is madness. I was a victim of a sludged up 1999 Toyota Solara 4 cylinder which I was told that would last forever. Even if an oil is manufactured with the best of the best Im not running it 20000 miles.
All depends on the engine. Euro cars with large sumps will not have that issue.

Why would one pay for advertising when free word of mouth travels as fast as a Californian wildfire in front of a stiff breeze? Plus it’s not some phony marketing, it’s real, personal experience.

This was rhetorical because I was agreeing with your statement.
Just look at this forum, hpl has plenty of word of mouth advertising.

Just look at this forum, hpl has plenty of word of mouth advertising.
This forum is an incredibly small subset of car enthusiasts.

While there is word of mouth advertising for many brands here, it’s not like the world pays attention to BITOG.

I see promotion of lots of brands here, as well as criticism. Recommendations for which oil to use are generally thoughtful, take into account how the vehicle is used, oil change interval, etc. and end up with a wide range of recommended brands.

When are you going to get a newer model SPA Volvo?
I‘ve been tempted a couple of times. They sure are nice, inside and out.

My wife’s XC70 is nearing 300,000 miles. It had a suspension rebuild two years ago and drives like a new car.

My youngest needs a car for medical school this fall and my plan had been to buy my wife a new car, transfer the XC to my youngest.

Then, a close friend told me he was going to let his 2004 XC90 go. One owner. Bought new. Meticulous maintenance. Every record.

So, my wife keeps her XC70. I go through this XC90 and give it to the youngest.

With the way they’re all running (no flaws, no glitches, no rust, good performance) a new car is a ways off.

it IS suitable for a long drain. They recommend it. People on here have used it in extended drain intervals.

Your question is based on a faulty premise - they don’t advertise much, if at all.
Advertise much?
Based on the amount of chatter on this site about HPL, I'd suggest they have a fairly shrewd plan.

Advertise much?
Based on the amount of chatter on this site about HPL, I'd suggest they have a fairly shrewd plan.
Shrewd? I think the product speaks for itself.
They are an industrial oil manufacturer. They produce motor for fleets and for motorsports and of course oil geeks like us.

The owner is a car enthusiast.
HPL never knocks other companies oils, they just do what they do.

They don't want or plan to mass market their product, they won't cheapen it to be on store shelves.
It's not for everyone.

Shrewd? I think the product speaks for itself.
They are an industrial oil manufacturer. They produce motor for fleets and for motorsports and of course oil geeks like us.

The owner is a car enthusiast.
HPL never knocks other companies oils, they just do what they do.

They don't want or plan to mass market their product, they won't cheapen it to be on store shelves.
It's not for everyone.
Based on the above, what better way to sell it than to give a get a couple of threads stickied on the largest oil site. A couple of well placed threads in the forum from "regular folk"..........
Yeah, shrewd.

Based on the above, what better way to sell it than to give a get a couple of threads stickied on the largest oil site. A couple of well placed threads in the forum from "regular folk"..........
Yeah, shrewd.
Right… like no other company advertises its products. As stated, @High Performance Lubricants has never bashed any competitor, and does not even make claims on this site about any claimed superiority; they simply state their product philosophy and recommendations. Meanwhile, Pennzoil & Valvoline have commercials during prime time, and Mobil 1 has their official videos on YouTube. This site gets a fraction of traffic that those other mediums do.

You’ve been here for nearly a decade… Where were you when Gena Fishbeck from SOPUS was doling out free Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and free UOAs to members? 🦗 🦗 🦗

Interesting replies.
You'd think I was dissing them or something.
The plan is working.
Shrewd.

You're welcome to hold whatever opinion of them you wish. But dissing a company that is present here, who has been nothing but courteous and helpful and transparent, and without any evidence on your part that they're misrepresenting their product or a competitors - that's in very poor taste.

Back