Why is Techron recommend right before an oil change?

On their FAQ page, they say:

How often should I add Techron® to my tank?

Chevron offers a variety of Techron® products based on application. Please refer to the Techron® Product Comparison Chart for each Techron® product’s use frequency. For example, our Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner is recommended for use every season (winter, fall, spring, summer) or right before an oil change with no more than two treatments between oil changes.
Anyone know why? What happens if you put it in your tank right after you change your oil? I can't see there being a dramatic difference one way or the other, but the implication is that contaminants cleaned from the fuel system will make their way into your oil, so get that oil out of your car ASAP.

On their FAQ page, they say:

Anyone know why? What happens if you put it in your tank right after you change your oil? I can't see there being a dramatic difference one way or the other, but the implication is that contaminants cleaned from the fuel system will make their way into your oil, so get that oil out of your car ASAP.

It says OR right before an oil change. No more than 2 treatments between oil changes. Nothing about getting the oil out asap.
The 2 treatments probably means some gets in the oil ( especially with DI ), and they only want so much in the oil, as how it affects every oil probably has not been tested.

Having said that, I use it before a change.

It says OR right before an oil change. No more than 2 treatments between oil changes. Nothing about getting the oil out asap.
The 2 treatments probably means some gets in the oil ( especially with DI ), and they only want so much in the oil, as how it affects every oil probably has not been tested.

Having said that, I use it before a change.
I realize it doesn't say get it out ASAP. As I said, there is an implication of that, though. Why else would they even bother mentioning "right before an oil change."

I realize it doesn't say get it out ASAP. As I said, there is an implication of that, though. Why else would they even bother mentioning "right before an oil change."
You have to consider the carbon cleaning as well. You don't want a ton of carbon soot in the oil circulating for a long time.
It makes sense to me.

But yet all there gas has techron in it
In less of a concentration. Also keep in mind most gas [I'm convering myself here] already has detergents in it, so no matter how you look at it, adding a bottle of it is going to boost the detergent concentration of the gas you already have.
What do you mean by less concentration? Are you saying that the amount of detergent in Top Tier gas is not in adequate concentration and therefore we have to add more of it? In my case I use Top Tier Sinclair with their own approved detergent at correct concentration. If I start dumping Techron in it, can I possibly trigger some adverse chemical reaction? Just a thought.
Top Tier gas is good enough for me as is and I don't use any fuel/injector cleaners.

What do you mean by less concentration? Are you saying that the amount of detergent in Top Tier gas is not in adequate concentration and therefore we have to add more of it? In my case I use Top Tier Sinclair with their own approved detergent at correct concentration. If I start dumping Techron in it, can I possibly trigger some adverse chemical reaction? Just a thought.
Top Tier gas is good enough for me as is and I don't use any fuel/injector cleaners.
That's not what I said. I simply answered the question. Here's an answer worded differently. When you add Techron to a tank of gas you're increasing the concentration of detergents/cleaners or whatever you want to call it in that tank of gas. No mention from me about how good/bad Top Tier Gas is either. That's a debate I'm not in the mood to tackle today, or thick vs. thin, or the benefits if any of using Techron. Maybe I'll jump in on one of those debates another time. ;)

That's not what I said. I simply answered the question. Here's an answer worded differently. When you add Techron to a tank of gas you're increasing the concentration of detergents/cleaners or whatever you want to call it in that tank of gas. No mention from me about how good/bad Top Tier Gas is either. That's a debate I'm not in the mood to tackle today, or thick vs. thin, or the benefits if any of using Techron. Maybe I'll jump in on one of those debates another time. ;)
I took the "In less of a concentration" as not adequate enough what's already in Top Tier gasoline.
But you're right. Let's leave it alone.;)

Techron Concentrated Fuel System cleaner when used at the recommended 1oz per gallon ratio results in a detergent concentration approx 10x that of what's in top-tier Chevron fuel with Techron. The concentrated cleaner is as is says a concentrated cleaner, the stuff premixed in the fuel is a normal maintenance dose meant to negate the need for additional fuel system cleaners when used continuously.

Ya! If you are already doing what is required for your gasser this is largely minutia in the realm of engine care.

I recall they used to state that with the Techron Concentrate version, there was a tendency for the detergents to "deplete" oil additives when it gets past the rings. That's probably not a problem with maintenance doses or normal quantities of fuel additives, but it could be with the concentrated version.

I suppose the idea is to minimize this time, as well as restoring the oil additive level quickly afterwards.

Could also be to keep the consumer in a habitual pattern. Kinda like change oil and rotation of tyres every x amount of miles. I added the Gumout PEA in the tank on Tuesday and it got ran down to quarter left yesterday before QT refill. I can handle it being in there til tomorrow as tonight I did the IVD spray cleaning and cleaned air filter.

Second hand information, so take this with a grain of salt. A very talented automotive technician I was messaging on another forum about fuel additives, told me he met a retired Chevron researcher and had a conversation about Techron concentrate, and specifically about the recommendation to use just before an oil change. I forgot all the details (this was a few years ago) but the researcher said to take heed, it was written for a reason, they found the additive had a detrimental effect on oil lubrication properties.

I used 6 PEA cleaners here (3 KYK and 3 Wynns). OCI 9000 km
Perfect UOA from my Cayenne V8 4.8.
Redline High Performance 10w40

IMG_9480.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9481.jpeg
    IMG_9481.jpeg
    324.2 KB · Views: 9
Back