Why is Royal Purple so expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There`s actually a UOA on here where Blackstone says it`s a PAO based oil with an Ester additive(Synerlec). That`s how I found out about RP`s construction.

Originally Posted By: Mark888
Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
I bet you can't go 10 post without mentioning exxonmobil.

If the subject is PAO base stock and PAO manufacturing plants near Port TX, you are probably correct since the one of the worlds largest PAO plants is located a short distance away in Beaumont TX.

I could be wrong, but I don't think any of smaller oil brands like RP have the capability to manufacturer PAO/Ester base stocks. Even some of the larger oil companies buy it from others.

Do you mean Port Arthur. Tx? Never heard of a town just called Port in Texas.
Motiva, Chevron, Valero, Total have operations in Port Arthur.
Exxon is in Beaumont.
Not limiting to PAO producers.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
All base oils are crystal clear.

All formulated oils have dyes in them, usually an "AMBER."

Now some additives are dyed and when blended with the base oils, they darken them to an amber color as well.

Takes an expert to quell foolish mis-information, thank you.

Originally Posted By: jmac
I bet you can't go 10 post without mentioning exxonmobil.

If the subject is PAO base stock and PAO manufacturing plants near Port TX, you are probably correct since the one of the worlds largest PAO plants is located a short distance away in Beaumont TX.

I could be wrong, but I don't think any of smaller oil brands like RP have the capability to manufacturer PAO/Ester base stocks. Even some of the larger oil companies buy it from others.

Do you mean Port Arthur. Tx? Never heard of a town just called Port in Texas.
Motiva, Chevron, Valero, Total have operations in Port Arthur.
Exxon is in Beaumont.
Not limiting to PAO producers.

Sorry, I meant Porter TX, just north of Houston, which is the location of Royal Purple. Not too far from Beaumont.

Supposedly, RP has a very high percentage of PAO base stock, and there are not that many PAO suppliers around. According to news reports about the ExxonMobil PAO plant damaged during Hurrican Ike, it is located in Beaumont and is one of the largest (if not the largest) PAO plants in the world.

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
Last I checked, RP wasn't PAO-based...

RP has always been PAO based( as long as I have used them - 1990 ). Lots of internet rumors about Grp III but it is PAO Grp IV and has been.

Originally Posted By: iunderpressure
I'm a fan of RP, but I don't like the fact they add dye. I'm not a fan of adding things that aren't needed. It's like food coloring or soft drinks. The dye doesn't do anything in an engine why put it in there. To me that's the main reason I'm thinking of jumping brands.

Please tell me you are not serious? IF you like the oil why would you not use it/change brands because they add a dye to make it purple? The dye burns off almost immediately. Just a gimmick to go along with the name. Hurts nothing.

Wow!
21.gif

Last edited:
I have learned here that dye is the most expensive componenent of engine oil. Why not minimize that cost?

I seriously doubt that the purple dye costs RP more than the base stock and additives?

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: firemachine69
Last I checked, RP wasn't PAO-based...

RP has always been PAO based( as long as I have used them - 1990 ). Lots of internet rumors about Grp III but it is PAO Grp IV and has been.

Anytime I`ve ever emailed them about their oils,they`re always straightforward with me. When i asked them about their base oil,they said it`s a "PAO base" and not the typical "proprietary *blend* which includes PAO". They also recommended their 40 and 50 weight oils for my car which definitely takes some knowledge of my car`s engine. Most oils co.`s will just tell you the CAFE reccomendations with is usually the generic 10W30 response.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
The question is, why bother dying your oil an unnatural colour anyway?

It's marketing. A substantial part of the motor oil business is marketing.

What would happen if Pennzoil changed the color of their yellow bottle to blue? 50% of the people on this forum would have to be placed on suicide watch.

What would happen if Pennzoil changed the color of their yellow bottle to blue? 50% of the people on this forum would have to be placed on suicide watch.

LOL! the 2 cycle Pennzoil last I saw was blue!

ROFL
crackmeup2.gif

9 pages? Pretty simple. If it's too expensive,move onto another brand of oil,lots to choose from!

Doesnt take 9 pages to figure this out Jeeesh!
smirk2.gif

We can agree on this 100%! Man I about pee'd my pants when I read the suicide watch comment as it is so true
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

We can agree on this 100%! Man I about pee'd my pants when I read the suicide watch comment as it is so true
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

I always thought women were the ones to worry about the small stuff,but now seeing what some guys worry about on here,(color of oil???)that statement I'll never use again
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: wannafbody
Maybe they should market pink oil to women and blue oil to guys.

Introducing the new pink "Chick Formula" motor oil. It could even smell like baby powder
11.gif
10.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back