Why is Royal Purple so expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
I delight in keeping things real.

Real? No. You delight in deliberately mis-representing what others post.

Originally Posted By: Mark888
I delight in keeping things real.

Real? No. You delight in deliberately mis-representing what others post.
crackmeup2.gif

We will agree to disagree.

See I'm helping you out with you not saying the "M" word for ten posts.
20.gif

You can thank me later!

Originally Posted By: Mark888
Originally Posted By: Ursae_Majoris
RP does not sell as much oil as M1, so they have lower volume to absorb their cost.
M1 uses cheaper Venezuela oil, Royal Purple uses more expensive Canadian crude.
07.gif

Chances are pretty high that RP buys it PAO stock from ExxonMobil.

That was a joke....
You mean RP PAO is not made by purple Kibbler elves?
I heard it is no longer grape-flavored either. I used to love a shot of RP with Jim Bean!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wannafbody
I think Amsoil may buy their PAO from Mobil as well.

They buy some of it for sure. That has already been confirmed by Pablo.

But I believe they buy a lot of their other chemicals from Lubrizol and the like, so you end up with a rather unique product.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
They buy some of it for sure. That has already been confirmed by Pablo.

But I believe they buy a lot of their other chemicals from Lubrizol and the like, so you end up with a rather unique product.

Most motor oils use more than one base stock, in addition to different additive packages. Also, not all PAO base stock is the same, even from the same PAO plant.

Originally Posted By: Ursae_Majoris
That was a joke....
You mean RP PAO is not made by purple Kibbler elves?
I heard it is no longer grape-flavored either. I used to love a shot of RP with Jim Bean!

I figured it was a joke [M1 uses cheaper Venezuela oil, Royal Purple uses more expensive Canadian crude], but a lot of unsuspecting people (or malicious people) would repeat it as fact. This is the "Internet" after-all.

Mark I am very familiar with the supply chain of chemicals and petrochemical products. PAO is becoming more and more of a niche market as other base oils are developed that can mimic its capabilities well enough and they cost less to produce. In my days of hands on plant revamps I may have turned wrenches on the very facility that produces the PA0 you like to use. It is an anomally for sure. You don't see many companies building new PAO producing facilities for a reason. THe market share is small and the profit margin is even smaller especially considering the current inflated material and labor cost to perform the construction, these prices for reconstructin are being passed on to the consumer. Beofre the storms the plant had paid itself off. Now the Business unit manager has to show a profit despite large amounts of capital beikng spent to keep the old plant going.

Last edited:
Well, that just reduces the excess profit margin ;-) In these days it might not be a good thing to be too profitable-Barry and Maxine Waters just might confiscate the "windfall profits". All companies need a certain amount of writeoffs.

I'm a fan of RP, but I don't like the fact they add dye. I'm not a fan of adding things that aren't needed. It's like food coloring or soft drinks. The dye doesn't do anything in an engine why put it in there. To me that's the main reason I'm thinking of jumping brands.

Originally Posted By: iunderpressure
I'm a fan of RP, but I don't like the fact they add dye. I'm not a fan of adding things that aren't needed. It's like food coloring or soft drinks. The dye doesn't do anything in an engine why put it in there. To me that's the main reason I'm thinking of jumping brands.
+1.

It is such a gimmick that I would NEVER use it just for that reason.
06.gif

Really!

+1.

06.gif

Really!

I'm with you guys!

AD

Maybe people are over-reacting to the purple dye just a bit. A signifcant portion of food and drink has food coloring. Coke, Pepsi, Root Beer, Dr Pepper, Orange Soda, etc would be clear without added coloring.

All base oils are crystal clear.

All formulated oils have dyes in them, usually an "AMBER."

Now some additives are dyed and when blended with the base oils, they darken them to an amber color as well.

Last edited:
+1.

06.gif

Really!

43.gif

All true synthetics (group IV,V) are expensive. Most are over $10 a quart. RP is actually one of the cheapest synth oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back