Why is Royal Purple so expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm Joe Blow walking down the oil isle at ChianMart with a 2007 Chevy PickEmUp Truck, still in warranty. Do you think he knows the difference between SL or SM? No he looks for the API Starburst symbol. That is what I take issue with. Not the hair splitting/technobabble/misleading marketing. It is misleading as heck. Joe Blow is gonna think he is buying the modern up too date API certified oil for his truck and he isn't. Royal Purple knows this and exploits it to their advantage.

The starburst symbol is not from API, it's from ILSAC. And RP does not meet ILSAC specs and this is one of the things the NAD talked to them about and RP is removing the starburst from the labels on the oils that had it. Now old Joe Blow probably does not know the difference between SL and SM, but as for as I'm concerned that is Joe Blows problem. I buy a new car, I'm reading the manual.

Originally Posted By: GrampsintheSand
I'm Joe Blow walking down the oil isle at ChianMart with a 2007 Chevy PickEmUp Truck, still in warranty. Do you think he knows the difference between SL or SM? No he looks for the API Starburst symbol. That is what I take issue with. Not the hair splitting/technobabble/misleading marketing. It is misleading as heck. Joe Blow is gonna think he is buying the modern up too date API certified oil for his truck and he isn't. Royal Purple knows this and exploits it to their advantage.

No oil is going to cure Joe Blow stupidity. If Joe Blow can't read, don't want to read, dont' have time to read then it is not Royal Purple problem.

Originally Posted By: Mark888
Originally Posted By: EMPIRE
not their website (actual webserver), but their DNS is down.

I thought the DNS server belongs to your ISP, not Royal Purple.

no. ISP just provides you the access. some ISP's sell you services such as DNS, email, etc, but those are optional. the DNS servers can be anywhere and do not need to be at the ISP. what typically is at the ISP is the DNS Reverse Zone for the IP blocks assigned to the ISP, but this can be delegated out. sorry for all the tech jargon.

and as of right now i still cannot resolve the URL. weird. can anyone tell me the IP of the website? perhaps a internet backbone issue...?

Originally Posted By: Johnny
The starburst symbol is not from API, it's from ILSAC. And RP does not meet ILSAC specs and this is one of the things the NAD talked to them about and RP is removing the starburst from the labels on the oils that had it. Now old Joe Blow probably does not know the difference between SL and SM, but as for as I'm concerned that is Joe Blows problem. I buy a new car, I'm reading the manual.

Johnny. What formula/weight oil was RP running the API Starburst on? Haven't seen an API Starburst on their SAE oils in the SM era? Just the API Service Level donut.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
And that is correct, just not licensed for API SM.

The following weights are API Service Level SM cerified for Royal Purple according to API. They just are not certified to carry the Starburst...

0W-40
5W-40
15W-40

Last edited:

no. ISP just provides you the access. some ISP's sell you services such as DNS, email, etc, but those are optional. the DNS servers can be anywhere and do not need to be at the ISP. what typically is at the ISP is the DNS Reverse Zone for the IP blocks assigned to the ISP, but this can be delegated out. sorry for all the tech jargon.

and as of right now i still cannot resolve the URL. weird. can anyone tell me the IP of the website? perhaps a internet backbone issue...?

I have had no issues accessing RP's site all day. This is on your end.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

I have had no issues accessing RP's site all day. This is on your end.

Actually he is correct, the authoritative DNS for http://www.royalpurple.com is not providing lookup information. They may have changed hosts and it hasn't propagated yet, or the DNS server isn't working and your ISP still has the record in their DNS database.

Originally Posted By: azsynthetic

No oil is going to cure Joe Blow stupidity. If Joe Blow can't read, don't want to read, dont' have time to read then it is not Royal Purple problem.
Unbelievable.

I'm Joe Blow walking down the oil isle at ChianMart

Hi Joe....hey have you tried Royal Purple? It will make your engine cooler......
13.gif

LOL...I understand. But to say RP is API licensed on a "old" license standard" no longer in effect is misleading as heck Johnny.

They do have at least 2 grades that are API SM.

And the "joe blow in Chinamart" analogy doesn't fly very far either. Joe Blow doesn't know the difference between the starburst and the API donut, and there are lots of other oil brands that meet old API standards out there (various racing oils for example). Also, during the changeover from SL to SM there are bottles of some brands sitting side-by-side that are IDENTICAL except for one letter in the donut. Is Joe Blow being misled if he accidentally picks up an older jug of RTS that says SL???

Last edited:
You dont feel there is a difference in slight of word marketing and a accident?

I think you misunderstood me. I don't like sleight of word marketing, but if you're going to accuse RP of it on the basis that only a few of their oils meet the *current* API cert, then you have to accuse every brand that says they are API certified and still sell SL oils. Seriously- how many "joe blows" do you think realize that MaxLife is SL versus being an SM? Or what about all the Amsoil products that aren't API rated, but they've always claimed that they "meet the protection standards" of API certification (or some other paraphrase implying that its just the emissions portions they don't bother with).

Don't the SL products have better antiwear additives? What is the difference between the circle and jagged circle?

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Actually he is correct, the authoritative DNS for http://www.royalpurple.com is not providing lookup information. They may have changed hosts and it hasn't propagated yet, or the DNS server isn't working and your ISP still has the record in their DNS database.

exactly.... its back now..... and you dont always need to use your ISP's DNS, you can use public ones such as 4.2.2.2 and 205.171.3.65

anyways, i need to do some of my own research on RP oils.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

exactly.... its back now..... and you dont always need to use your ISP's DNS, you can use public ones such as 4.2.2.2 and 205.171.3.65

anyways, i need to do some of my own research on RP oils.

Yes, resolves to being hosted on Earthlink now. I do not know if that was the same as before or if that is new.

There is definitely a speed advantage to using your ISP's DNS server. I used to have a bind mirror setup locally for basically instant resolution, but never bothered putting the box back together when I moved.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
You dont feel there is a difference in slight of word marketing and a accident?

I think you misunderstood me. I don't like sleight of word marketing, but if you're going to accuse RP of it on the basis that only a few of their oils meet the *current* API cert, then you have to accuse every brand that says they are API certified and still sell SL oils. Seriously- how many "joe blows" do you think realize that MaxLife is SL versus being an SM? Or what about all the Amsoil products that aren't API rated, but they've always claimed that they "meet the protection standards" of API certification (or some other paraphrase implying that its just the emissions portions they don't bother with).

Oh I do friend! I don't care for any of them misleading with slick willy words in their advertisement. But I thought this thread was Royal Purple specific and did not realize it had grown to a all encompassing thread so I was still just speaking Royal Purple specific. Dont know when the subject specific changed. Oh well.
All of the manufacturers should go to St. Louis for a marketing training course from Shaeffers IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back