Why does the board not like Royal Purple?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK looking for actual reasons why Royal Purple isn't given a second look on this board?

1) First there aren't that many "bad" UOAs out there to say that it is a horrible oil.

2) As a company they are very customer friendly and willing to help in any way.

3) Other auto/truck owners on other boards have had good experiences with the product.

4) Can't blame it on price cuz it's not that high.

5) Company must be doing something right as they've been around for quite a while.

So please fess up why do you fellas dislike Royal Purple. Oh and no just because answers please.

Thanks

[ January 18, 2004, 10:57 PM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

quote:

Originally posted by Swift:
OK looking for actual reasons why Royal Purple isn't given a second look on this board?

1) First there aren't that many "bad" UOAs out there to say that it is a horrible oil.

2) As a company they are very customer friendly and willing to help in any way.

3) Other auto/truck owners on other boards have had good experiences with the product.

4) Can't blame it on price cuz it's not that high.

5) Company must be doing something right as they've been around for quite a while.

So please fess up why do you fellas dislike Royal Purple. Oh and no just because answers please.

Thanks

I'm just chiming in so that this thread will have some value when someone uses the "search" feature.

When starting a thread, use words that are searchable.

"Why oh Why " doesn't work.

From what I've heard, RP is OK.

Hey satterfi, FYI type in Royal Purple and this thread will show up.
wink.gif

I don't think that the board dislikes Royal Purple. In fact I know of a few on here that are running it with good success. I have a few friends that are running the 15W40 Royal Purple oil, Max Life Mercon/DexronIII transmission fluid and the 75w140 in the rear with great success. These are all Ford Power Stroke diesels. Great analysis with low wear.

cheers.gif

I use alot of RP's stuff. Most people on this forum don't care for it because it doesn't seem all that consistant in UOA's (although there are a few other oils that are like that as well), and the fact that it shears down in viscosity quite quickly for a synthetic. Some don't like RP, due to the fact, that RP will not give out any info on the formulation. Others don't like the API approved street oil, due to the fact that it has some group I oil in it for miscibility. Terry (the ultimate oil guru), has said on more than one occasion, that RP is a good oil.

I don't dislike it (I have never used it) I guess the problem for me is that I can't find any good reason to use it

Al,
You are correct, if you are happy with the way your vehicle is running and analysis, I agree. The holy grail has never been found. I think RP is a good brand if you want to run one brand and if you are worried about API certification, the street oils have that including the 15W40. The trans and rear fluids are syn also.
Schaeffer's products can fill this bill also. One stop shopping. And both have to be ordered unless you have an Auto Zone that carries RP. Also some stores stock Schaeffer's products.
Lots of good choices on the market.

dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by satterfi:
I'm just chiming in so that this thread will have some value when someone uses the "search" feature.

When starting a thread, use words that are searchable.

I'll add something else on board usage. PLEASE make your subject lines specific. I got really tired, on a fotografy forum, of having to click 'Help!' subject lines to see if I can help this person, and it's sort of that way here too. So Swift, maybe you could have said something like 'Why don't you guys like Royal Purple?'...please.

I never knew this board didn't like Royal Purple. Sure there were a few interesting UOA's but not enough to draw hard conclusions. Do a search, some weren't THAT great, but...

I can remember when RP used to call their street oils blends, then they said something about GrpII....so I am not to sure about the base oil of the street oils anymore.

Why do you think this board is against RP?

All Royal Purple multi-vis oils (street use) are API Licensed and use a Synthetic base oil and Synthetic Additives with iso-paraffinic diluents.

cheers.gif

My beef against RP is that it costs the same at the local Napa store as Amsoil. The displays are side-by-side and they cost within pennies of each other. When comparing UOAs, it seems that RP isn't as consistent in this department as Amsoil, especially with my engine (Chevy 4.3L V6) as well as most GM engines.

Pity, especially since RP is a Texas company (Porter is about 20 miles from where I grew up) and I like to support industry within my own state whenever possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back