Why is quality control so good ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why hasn't there been a major mishap in the motor oil industry?

Say like if motor oil company X forgot to put in the additives or if motor oil company Y forgot to put in the viscosity index improvers and somebody's engine out there somewhere seized up.

O thought I read about a certain company doing something like that when the hurricane hit. Their 5w30 was made out of grade

Probably because it'd take a massive error to seize up most internal combustion engines. I reckon you could run canola oil for an OCI and get away with it and nobody would be any the wiser.

Wasn't there an oil that didn't have pour point depressants and it turned to wax below snowball temps? I'd like to say it was Quaker State in the 1980s...

Originally Posted By: Brad_C
Probably because it'd take a massive error to seize up most internal combustion engines. I reckon you could run canola oil for an OCI and get away with it and nobody would be any the wiser.

That may have been a joke, but it would burn and turn to rancid sludge in a drive or two.

I have had jugs labeled with one grade on the front of the container, and another label on the back with a different grade. 5w30 on front 5w20 on the back. I called the company and was told just to take it back to the store I purchased it from. I just used it up as make up oil.

Originally Posted By: fmia
O thought I read about a certain company doing something like that when the hurricane hit. Their 5w30 was made out of grade

Wasn't that Mobil 1 products? I remember threads here around that time saying there were some problems with them. I never noticed any issues though,and was using their 15W50 religiously.

I remember in the late 70's or early '80s that Mobil recalled their conventional oil. I worked at a Mobil full-service station and everyone came in with their cars for oil changes. Customers did not need to have receipt, just sign a form and we returned the oil filters to Mobil for reimbursement. One day I did 100 oil changes; that night dreamed of changing oil.

Some number of years ago (maybe 20 or more) there was a huge fuel quality problem in Europe. They produced and sold gasoline where the research and motor octane values were extremely divergent and this caused a lot of valve burning, etc.

I do recall reading about some issues regarding oils not quite being the viscosity range they were labeled. I've got two opinions on it. Like Brad C said above, it would have to be a huge error to be caught and #2, it's not an FDA type product where quality, strength and purity are matters of life/death, etc.

Originally Posted By: qjohn
I remember in the late 70's or early '80s that Mobil recalled their conventional oil. I worked at a Mobil full-service station and everyone came in with their cars for oil changes. Customers did not need to have receipt, just sign a form and we returned the oil filters to Mobil for reimbursement. One day I did 100 oil changes; that night dreamed of changing oil.

Let's see. If you worked twelve hours with no lunch or bathroom breaks, that's one oil change every 7 minutes 12 seconds. If you worked eight hours and took an hour for lunch and bathroom breaks, that's one oil change every 4 minutes 12 seconds.

Wow, that's a load of manure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SonicMustang
Originally Posted By: qjohn

Let's see. If you worked twelve hours with no lunch or bathroom breaks, that's one oil change every 7 minutes 12 seconds. If you worked eight hours and took an hour for lunch and bathroom breaks, that's one oil change every 4 minutes 12 seconds.

Wow, that's a load of manure.

Maybe my memory is failing, but it seems like I worked 16 hours and did 'many' oil changes. I recall counting to 100, but I can say 50 if it makes you feel better.

Yes it was mobile1 that was out of spec hurricane oil. Probably should have left it on the shelves. I doubt it woulda turned out any worse iron #s than the in spec stuff does anyway lol.

Originally Posted By: Boomer
Some number of years ago (maybe 20 or more) there was a huge fuel quality problem in Europe. They produced and sold gasoline where the research and motor octane values were extremely divergent and this caused a lot of valve burning, etc.

The problems You refer to where mostly due to the change from leaded to unleaded fuel. And valve seats being too soft to run without the lubrication from leaded fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back