why is a3/b4 0w20 so rare?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: salgra
I have E-mailed kroon oil, and got a (short) response from their engineering department.
It's say's ( translated by me off course )

The HTHS requirements for acea a3/b4 are =>3.5
ENERSYNTH FE 0W20 Meets this hths requirement, because it's hths is 3.5 And therefore is acea a3/b4 certified.

I am starting to think it really is 3.5 .
The answer came, according to the mail address, form their engineering department.

The only way I'd believe it would be if Redline (and only them) came out with it. If they blended any kind of esters I'm sure it would've been mentioned by now in their marketing.

And by 0W-20 you mean a HTHSV in the 2.6-2.7cP range I presume.

Everything about the PDS for this oil indicates a HTHSV of nominally 2.6cP including their categorizing the oil as an
"extremely low viscous fuel-saving engine oil".
Since fuel economy correlates precisely with HTHSV at operating temp's, there is no way this oil has a HTHSV 3.5cP or greater.

But it's easy enough to check short of having the HTHSV measured by a lab' which as A_H pointed out can be quite expensive; at least $150.
Run the oil in any vehicle equipped with a fully operational oil pressure gauge. Engine oil pressure at operating temp's corresponds with the HTHSV rating of an oil. In other words, two oils with the same OP at the same oil temperature and same engine rpm with the similar VIs will have the same HTHSVs.

There now is a 5w20 rated a3/b4, from a diffrent company called eurol.

produt:

EUROL SUPER LITE 5W20

a3/b4 api sm/cf

I bought a 5L jug it say's 5w20 and acea a3/b4 and api sm/cf on the jug

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back