Why i will never recommend Hyundai

Alright, I'll try to keep this as short as possible.

Sister lives in FL. She takes her car, a 2016 Tucson in for a oil consumption test. While there, she tells them she has a A/C issue. She paid a diagnostic fee, they tell her it's the compressor. This being Florida, she agrees to it.

They change the compressor to the tune of $1300, refill it, seal up the engine for a consumption test, has her return the loaner, send her otw home. Home is 17 miles. She makes it 11 miles, ac stops working, check engine light goes on, both fans turn on, engine temp starts going up. She calls the dealer, they instruct her to drive it back.

Once she gets back to the dealer, a rep meets her outside. He notices both fans on and heat radiating from the car like he double l. He touches the hood, pulls his hand away due to him not being able to pop it, it was that hot.

This is where things get interesting. They go to give her back the loaner, nobody knows where the keys for the loaner went, there are no loaners available. She has to now find a ride home.

She gives me a call to get on the phone with the service parts manager to find out why the car came in with no check engine light, granted ac was not working, we knew that.

I got otp with the service manager, he digs up the reports. Car came in, passed all their scans, they did the work diagnosing the ac system, concluded that it was the compressor, changed the compressor, charged her labor and parts, HOWEVER, after they concluded that she had a pin sized hole in the evaporator. They want to change that to the tune of $1800.

On to the check engine light. The service manager stated that it was due to a vacuum hose that went to the valve covers. The technician had to take the cover off to take pictures to send to Hyundai for a consumption test. I know this, I'm well aware of Hyundai's oil consumption procedures. Tech should have driven that car after the work has been performed. I am sure that if the car had been driven after all that, at least one issue would not be.

My take. They diagnosed the ac system incorrectly, OR it was diagnosed correctly and the tech was not paying attention and screwed up the condenser while he was taking the vc off. He didn't pay good enough attention to remiv9ng the vc tearing that vacuum hose.

The best part: The service manager goes to say, "it was hot, but there was no smoke or fire, granted my associate couldn't even pop the hood" .....

I proceed to ask him about the ac diagnosis, he proceeds to tell me "when a compressor fails, it sends shards of metal through the system clogging everything"

I then adk him if checking for that is part of the diagnosis procedure,(we all know it's b/s) he then proceeds to tell me that "obviously I have an agenda here"

This is the worse experience I've had with a service department anywhere. I'm not going to blast their name yet. We'll see how this turns out tomorrow.

@MParr brother, I know. But the dealership represents Hyundai as a whole.

@NormanBuntz I will.

Looking at her service history, this car was maintained like crazy. Furthermore, the things that went wrong on this car is scary. 4 window regulators at $600 parts and labor, wheel bearings, shocks, electrical issues. Etc. On a 6 year old car.

Hyundai dealers have a certain smell to them.

Kia, too.
After this debacle is done, she's getting rid of it. She was looking at a tiguan, however she wanted the ac fixed and the car in good condition before trading it in. Gotta give it to her, she wasn't willing to dump a car on the dealer she was going to trade it to. Truly a good person.

Trying to figure out who changes a compressor & doesn’t check for leaks? How can that & one loose vacuum hose cause serious overheating? At this stage she needs her money back & get it to a different dealer, that stealership is clueless.
Vacuum leaks cause misfires, which it was diagnosed to a P0300. Random misfires. Coupled with highway speeds, ac on, FLORIDA. It can cause overheating.

After this debacle is done, she's getting rid of it. She was looking at a tiguan, however she wanted the ac fixed and the car in good condition before trading it in. Gotta give it to her, she wasn't willing to dump a car on the dealer she was going to trade it to. Truly a good person.
That was a mistake on her part IMO. Dealers typically give bottom dollar for trade-ins. On a 6-7 year old car, there's little chance they would keep it to sell anyways-- they make more money on 3-4 year old previously leased vehicles.

I hope she has better luck with a Tiguan.

Did they not replace the condenser and expansion valve too? My mom had a 2014 Tucson that had an A/C compressor fail. I replaced the compressor for her but when you replace a failed compressor you also have to replace the expansion valve and the condenser and thoroughly flush the evaporator. The condenser on those cars can't be flushed and if the compressor sent metal through the system any new compressor is going to have a short life if the right steps aren't followed. If it had a leak I am surprised they charged it at all. The system is supposed to hold vacuum for 20 minutes to verify there are no leaks before it is recharged. If all they did was a compressor it sounds like crucial steps were missed. The one I did for my mom blew ice cold until she sold it.

Did they not replace the condenser and expansion valve too? My mom had a 2014 Tucson that had an A/C compressor fail. I replaced the compressor for her but when you replace a failed compressor you also have to replace the expansion valve and the condenser and thoroughly flush the evaporator. The condenser on those cars can't be flushed and if the compressor sent metal through the system any new compressor is going to have a short life if the right steps aren't followed. If it had a leak I am surprised they charged it at all. The system is supposed to hold vacuum for 20 minutes to verify there are no leaks before it is recharged. If all they did was a compressor it sounds like crucial steps were missed. The one I did for my mom blew ice cold until she sold it.
No, they just replaced the compressor. I will post the paperwork if she gives me permission to.

Furthermore, they stated in the paperwork that when the car arrived, they evacuated 525mg of r134 before the system was cracked. That is well within the full limits of the system.

After they replaced the compressor, refilled it, released the car, the car came back the same day. They stated they evacuated 330mg of freon due to the leak in the evaporator.

My question is, isn't that a major EPA violation???

Back