Why I like Costco gas

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
As of this morning, gas prices for regular unleaded at the stations nearest to me were:

Costco 4.19

Chevron 5.19 & 5.09

Exxon 4.83

Arco 4.79 & 4.89

Valero 4.83

Shell 4.83

7-Eleven 4.79 & 4.49

Hope the formatting comes out OK ...

Only save about $0.20 here. Not worth going across town for me.

I also have heard some stories of sub par fuel. Nothing super factual, but enough to make me stick with a closer top tier station.

I like costco but its the same price as everyone else here.. premium 10cents cheaper vs reg stations.

I usually use getgo. Cheaper and get reward points (or redeeming reward points)

Only save about $0.20 here. Not worth going across town for me.

I also have heard some stories of sub par fuel. Nothing super factual, but enough to make me stick with a closer top tier station.

100% false they are top tier and the slowest one around me still goes through 2 tanker trucks a day.

100% false they are top tier and the slowest one around me still goes through 2 tanker trucks a day.
No way for you to say it's false unless you know who supplies to my specific Costco.

As I said, I've seen enough to cast doubt not prove it as a fact. Probably totally fine, but I won't go out of my way.

Sams is cheapest here in Northern NewYorkistan. Then there’s the discount for using their credit card. It all burns the same in my experience around here and at least it’s fresh because they sell a lot. I only wish people would use the Sams App and not the cards. It really speeds things up just like in the store.

No way for you to say it's false unless you know who supplies to my specific Costco.

As I said, I've seen enough to cast doubt not prove it as a fact. Probably totally fine, but I won't go out of my way.
100% false.

I'm a Sam's member but don't buy their gas too frequently just as a matter of pricing - they're rarely more than a few cents cheaper here, which isn't enough of an incentive for me to drive much out of my way to buy it. I'd consider becoming a Costco member if the most convenient Costco was as convenient as the most convenient Sam's but, as it stands, it's about twice as far away (and far busier to boot). That said, I'm quite confident that Costco gas is great fuel (certainly preferable to stations that don't move much fuel).

This shows a typical spread here - the non-warehouse stations start around cent or two more expensive, and typically top out 10-20 cents higher. Many stations are sitting at $2.89, just about a dime above the cheapest possible (Costco/Sam's).
1641833812147.jpg

100% false. Same gas goes to almost all stations most areas only have a few delivery companies for gas that comes from the same terminal.
And costco is top tier for additives.

Now if you are talking about the 50year old gas station.. maybe you are getting shorted at the pump , contaminants from old tanks, etc.. not issues Costco will ever have.

Last edited by a moderator:
As of this morning, gas prices for regular unleaded at the stations nearest to me were:

Costco 4.19

Chevron 5.19 & 5.09

Exxon 4.83

Arco 4.79 & 4.89

Valero 4.83

Shell 4.83

7-Eleven 4.79 & 4.49

Hope the formatting comes out OK ...
Those prices are very high, so I feel for you. I would also choose Costco, I assume you have to he or already are a member and that costs?

As to the Top Tier thing, I had heard they use Kirkland Signature gasoline, touted as having 12x more additives.. I would have a hard time believing that, that the cheapest (inexpensive) gas also has more additives that make it better than name brands. (Also, if that is no longer true, let us clarify that.)

But, as stated in another thread, even just today, I don't care if it is Top Tier or the worst of the worst Unbranded fuel, it moves so quickly you'll never have a problem with bad gas. Never.

Back