What Gas Has Most Additves ** DETERGENTS**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone posted about this report on BITOG before.

I would point out that their methodology has got to be the most lame, psuedo-scientific explanation I've seen in a long time. Coming to conclusions based on the weight of nonvolatile residue left from evaporating gasoline is just silly. It would be like determining the capacity of a battery solely based on weighing the battery and not coming to any conclusions based on the individual chemistry (lithium/zinc/alkaline/other). Reminds me of the time that 20/20 did a report on shampoo, and they tried to determine how "concentrated" they were based on dehydrating them and weighing the residue, although that didn't really say how much was detergent/foaming agent/thickening agent/filler, and left completely out that many of the consumer brands used a different detergent (SLS vs ALS) that was more effective for a given weight. Not all detergent packages are as effective for a given residual mass. Not all use the same chemistry or combination of chemistries.

There's a reason why all the standards (CARB/EPA/Top Tier) require actual (and expensive) testing on real engines and specifications for the minimum amount needed to achieve that effectiveness. If you could simply pass a test by having a lab evaporate the hydrocarbons and weight the results, why not just use filler that doesn't evaporate and beat the methodology?

As for who supplies 7-Elevent, I think this may be very much regionally and/or individually determined. I remember when the ones around here were mostly labeled with the Citgo brand, even though Citgo didn't have any refineries that produced California RFG. I've seen some combination 7-Eleven/76 branded stations. Most 7-Eleven gas pumps don't carry another brand. I suspect that they're essentially like independent gas stations where the franchise owner simply buys on the spot market.

o.jpg

This is one that only carries the 7-Eleven brand:

l.jpg

In terms of amounts, it goes:

1) Exxon
2) Costco, BP, Shell (all advertise 5x EPA min)
3) Conoco/Philips66/76 (advertises over 3x EPA min and 30% over Top Tier)
4) Standard Top Tier certified fuels (~2.5x EPA min)

Originally Posted By: mcrn
Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Originally Posted By: mcrn
Originally Posted By: Bamaro
What happened to Mobile premium???? At 3:08 in the video it shows Mobile premium at only 10.6mg
spankme2.gif

I have never seen Mobile gas for sale?

Mobil was the fuel company with the winged horse, Pegasus, as its logo, as Exxon has the tiger. ("Put a Tiger in Your Tank!" was the slogan as far back as the Sixties, when it was still Esso.) Mobil moved out of this market way back in the mid-'90s, I think. Possibly other markets too. I don't recall seeing Mobil stations in CO, or more recently in TX, AR, AL, or TN.

I was being sarcastic....I have seen plenty of Mobil stations and that is my preferred gas.....just never seen a Mobile station.

I was Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again

Originally Posted By: Chris142
We only have 2 suppliers here. Shell and chevron. Your going to get one or the other no matter where you buy gas.

2 suppliers of what exactly? Base Gasoline? or Additive Packs?

I live near a gas distributor for the Imperial Valley/Yuma AZ area and there are about 6 different "Detergent" tanks behind their facility where the fuel is mixed with additives before being trucked to the stations.

I asked about the 6 tanks, and was told, "Those are additive tanks, 1 for each brand we distribute".

So unless they are lieing, and not sure why they would, Im confused by your statement
21.gif

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back