Why hasn't R1234YF dropped in price much in the last few years?

Thanks guys! S o maybe the hi lo side r134a couplers fit, i just need the can tap to connect to my gauge set.
The couplers that connect to R134A fittings won't work on an R1234yf system, the hoses and gauges will work. You need the couplers I linked to and know the pressures for the ambient temperatures you are working in, which IIRC are very close to R134a. Or properly evacuate the system and charge it the correct way.

You will need these FITTINGS to connect to the R1234yf high and low sides of the system. While they look the same as R134a couplers the business end that makes the actual connection is different than R134a connectors. HTH

The couplers that connect to R134A fittings won't work on an R1234yf system, the hoses and gauges will work. You need the couplers I linked to and know the pressures for the ambient temperatures you are working in, which IIRC are very close to R134a. Or properly evacuate the system and charge it the correct way.

You will need these FITTINGS to connect to the R1234yf high and low sides of the system. While they look the same as R134a couplers the business end that makes the actual connection is different than R134a connectors. HTH
Thank you!

You can pick up a can of AC Pro R1234yf at autozone. Not cheap, $135, but it’s available. If you have hoses you can get an 8oz can for $45. As for what you’re talking about, it’s quantities over 2lbs that you need the certification.

R744 aka CO2 runs at significantly higher pressures. From Emerson, a high temperature evaporator used for chilled food will run at a pressure of about 363psi to 435psi, the high side is even higher. I wouldn’t want to be anywhere near that system in the event of an accident.
Yet fuel injected cars sometimes have far great pressures. High pressure but relatively low volume Co2 that would quickly dissipate if it failed. In a crash it might even prevent fires. Mercedes already using it in Europe.

Yet fuel injected cars sometimes have far great pressures. High pressure but relatively low volume Co2 that would quickly dissipate if it failed. In a crash it might even prevent fires. Mercedes already using it in Europe.
Those high pressures are contained to a small section running from the high pressure fuel pump to the injectors, not running from the very front of the vehicle to inside the cabin.

Glad I don't have one of those R1234YF AC systems. It does sound like R134a conversion will be the way to go when they get older.

I have AC equipment for R12, 134a and the 1234yf. Most GM cars made a transition to 1234yf approx 2013 and a lot of people I know have just went back to r134a when service was needed due to the price of the freon. It is possible and it works just fine...legality all aside of course lol

Just had to have the AC serviced on my Wife's Dacia Logan. Here in the UK an R134a AC service will set you back £50, because it uses the new R1234YF it cost us £150. A bit annoying.

Back