Why hasn't R1234YF dropped in price much in the last few years?

Luckily I haven't had a car that needed it yet, but sooner than later it's inevitable. It's been out probably 8 years now and still costs nearly $60 a pound while I paid less than $3 per pound for 134a last year by the drum.

It's still new, and most cars with it are too new to need any service on it, and since few if any 1234yf cars need even a charge, there is no market for it :unsure:

It would be nice if we didn't continually invent new/dangerous refrigerants and just use R744.
We could always just mandate that it be recovered from the air and not created anew.

I'd bet OEMs demand 30%+ off list. So, mark it up so you can sell it for what you wanted to in the first place.

DuPont still has the patent, hence they have the price set.
Dupont/Chemours doesnt own the patent. Honeywell does. Honeywell licenses the patent to Chemours because they worked together on the development. 45-50 bucks a pound is the projected floor based on the cost of materials to make the refrigerant. The raw materials are a fair bit more expensive than 134a

I am wondering how you get this anyway? I can get it because I’m certified, I was told for the R1234YF you have to have the certification to get any or put any in cars. Are you certified? Maybe it’s just for the larger amount quantities that you have to be certified? I haven’t had to get any yet the only car we have that takes it is the 2017 Camry and hasn’t needed the A/C service yet.

Last edited:
Dupont/Chemours doesnt own the patent. Honeywell does. Honeywell licenses the patent to Chemours because they worked together on the development. 45-50 bucks a pound is the projected floor based on the cost of materials to make the refrigerant. The raw materials are a fair bit more expensive than 134a
Thanks for the clarification. I was going off of what everyone has told me. I just know people at my work constantly complain about the price jump like it is my fault.

I am wondering how you get this anyway? I can get it because I’m certified, I was told for the R1234YF you have to have the certification to get any or put any in cars. Are you certified? Maybe it’s just for the larger amount quantities that you have to be certified? I haven’t had to get any yet the only car we have that takes it is the 2017 Camry and hasn’t needed the A/C service yet.
You can pick up a can of AC Pro R1234yf at autozone. Not cheap, $135, but it’s available. If you have hoses you can get an 8oz can for $45. As for what you’re talking about, it’s quantities over 2lbs that you need the certification.

It would be nice if we didn't continually invent new/dangerous refrigerants and just use R744.
We could always just mandate that it be recovered from the air and not created anew.
R744 aka CO2 runs at significantly higher pressures. From Emerson, a high temperature evaporator used for chilled food will run at a pressure of about 363psi to 435psi, the high side is even higher. I wouldn’t want to be anywhere near that system in the event of an accident.

I heard from my car AC guy that 1234yf is too dangerous and manufacturers are rolling back to R134a ; I don't know if it's true. But if it is, this could explain the price ?

There are many people with the R1234yf systems converting them to R134a w/o issue. Hopefully when the time comes for me to service my Wrangler the price will come down. I already have the gauges and hoses for R1234yf. Honeywell is going to milk that cash cow as long as they can.

There are many people with the R1234yf systems converting them to R134a w/o issue. Hopefully when the time comes for me to service my Wrangler the price will come down. I already have the gauges and hoses for R1234yf. Honeywell is going to milk that cash cow as long as they can.
Are the gauges different from the home a/c r-22 gauges with adapters that i use for r-134a?

Are the gauges different from the home a/c r-22 gauges with adapters that i use for r-134a?
I bought these adapters that work with my 134a gauges. Haven't used them yet though.

IMG_5507.JPG

Yes, the can tap is reverse threaded and they use different adapters to make the connections to the high and low side of the system. Having said that Mastercool makes a set that works with R134a and R1234yf, so you could probably use a R134a set with the proper can tap and couplers. I got a good deal on Yellow Jacket a while back on Ebay which was too good to pass on.

I bought these adapters that work with my 134a gauges. Haven't used them yet though.

View attachment 53517
Yes, the can tap is reverse threaded and they use different adapters to make the connections to the high and low side of the system. Having said that Mastercool makes a set that works with R134a and R1234yf, so you could probably use a R134a set with the proper can tap and couplers. I got a good deal on Yellow Jacket a while back on Ebay which was too good to pass on.
Thanks guys! S o maybe the hi lo side r134a couplers fit, i just need the can tap to connect to my gauge set.

Back