Why does oil need to be changed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First page of this thread, Bruce381 did a copy and paste. I'm sure the original thread will come up with a search. It was updated just a weak or two ago.

Wasn't there a guy called Houckster a year or two ago that came aboard. He was to report back on his progress with SynLube. Have anybody heard from him?

Quote:

Wasn't there a guy called Houckster a year or two ago that came aboard. He was to report back on his progress with SynLube. Have anybody heard from him?

His profile lists him as the owner of Synlube, so his opinions mean nothing. He is also on the gasbuddy.com websites, posting his Synlube infomercials in the car talk section all the time, but yet he swears up and down that he isn't the owner of Synlube.
smirk.gif

And if he is selling so much oil why does he not have the confidence to get it certified somewhere? He's had enough development and production time to at least get it API certified. It appears that an API cert is useful enough that most other blenders/manufacturers have gone through the process. The problem with using Synlube might be that some of us would be worried about warranty problems. Can you imagine what the local new car dealer would have to say if you came in with a lot of miles on the car, maybe nearing the end of the warranty period and told them you don't change your oil. yiiikes!

Here is some car manufacturers that install Synlube's products: http://www.synlube.com/prototyp.htm

Those of you using this "why isn't it installed in any automakers cars"-excuse, should considder this: Selling oil is bussiness. If Mobil or Shell wants to sell more of their oil, they can get an agreement with a car producer, for example Ford. They install their product, Free of charge, in every Ford produced. Ford start to sell their oil, and also recommend it to their customers(you can often see small stickers in the engine department where Mobil1 or Shell is recommended. (I know ford sell Motorcraft, this is just an excample, to illustrate).

It is easy to understand why Synlube cannot do this. They simply don't have the capacity to serve a big car manufacturer with enough products.

A neighbor's lawn mower craped failed to start one time and I came to help. I checked the oil and it was low and very black like tar. I pour a quart of M1 0W20 in it, figuring that it should hold for awhile due to its high quality. It has been 5 years and he still hasn't change the oil in that thing. It seems like people rarely change their oil in their mower, which see the most abuse and long non-use time.

The non-start problem was due to bad gas, which is normal after spending 8 months outside.

I not know who jonny-b or houckster is but I can tell you I have been using SynLube in most of my cars since about 1980. I still have but do not drive now the 1980 FIAT X1/9 that MIK AUTOMOTIVE converted to SynLube so long ago I really hat to look at the SynLube web to find out, it was in 1979 when the car had 600 miles. They recommended then to change the oil avery 50,000 miles or 5 years and I think I did that onces but not now since about 1988. What is amazing is that even after the car sits for as much as 2 years, I just put in new battery and fill up the gas tank and it starts on the first turn over.

Thinking that this is the ENGINE (FIAT) and not the oil I did buy extremely nice BERTONE X1/9 few months back, and wow the engine was frozen solid. The ex owner had all the service records for 70,000 miles had religiously changed the oil at Jiffy Lube, had all the receipts, the last oil change was 32 months before I bought the car,m but only 189 miles !!!

When the head was removed two cylinder has serious rust and the pistons could not move, the oil in the car was so thick it almost did not dreain out, looked clean like honey, but just having the car parked the Pennzoil ruined it !!!

I spend $$$$ fixing the car up to make it run and as soon as it did I sold it, it took two attempts to just barely pass the smog, the O2 sensor had carbon on it.

Now with my 1980 X1/9 I have never changed the o2 sensor, the catalist is the OEM and the car emissions in CA are so low that most of the numbers are at ZERO.

I got back to Mior at synlube and asked him about this, and he told me that he is quite aware of about 5 other great things that synlube does, but they do not even mention it on their web as according to him people would not believe it anyway !!!

Reading what I did so far on this web I can see that even "not" changing oil is unbeliavable already, but I will leave that for another post.

Did anyone notice that SynLube actually does not advocate the you DO NOT change the oil > Actually they tell you if you wnat the car to alst to do it at 50,000 or 5 years still till today (same thing I was told 30 years ago !!) but looks like no one actually reads the web. And they did change the oil for me FREE in 1988 I only had to pay for new oil filter, they took the used oil back even then, I was actually surprised since the oil back then sold for $50 per Quart, it is lot cheaper now.

Petroleum oil was less than a dollar back then so convincing myself to spend $500 on oil change (they did the transmission as well and that oil has NEVER been changed !) was quite someting since normal oil change was $15 parts/labor at FIAT or BERTONE dealer.

I has 14 cars since then, and some I did lease so I did not bother to chagne to SynLube.

But that is just about as fruitful as telling people that FIAT is great and durable car, yet it outlasted KIA, HONDA and MITSUBISHI costs fraction of their expenses to keep and today people think it is $25,000 sports car !!

(It was just bit over $5,200 when it was new in 1979)
\
I also have YUGO that runs great and no idea how many miles as the spedo did not work for about 16 years, but I guess based on the fact that I drive about 30,000 miles in it per year may be as much as 500,000 ? I did chagne SYnLube in that one 2 or 3 times but I do nto remember the last time may be in 1996 or so.

WOW - !!!

I have only recently got onto this web, my original reason was to learn more about lubrication, since this OIL GUY claims to know everything. Not because I am loooking for a "better" oil, as I am quite happy with the use of SynLube since 1979 in my FIAT X1.9 that is still running fine and only had one OIL CHANGE at 50,000 miles in about 1988.

The reason I joined was because I wanted to sell SynLube to other people as I am devout environmentalist, and NOT CHANGING OIL and NOT POLLUTING the EARTH matters to me more than some abstract OUI or what ever you call the Oil Analysis.

To me what matters is that the car runs PERFECT after 30 years and the emissions which are required in California for registration are all near ZERO.

I have posted my experience with used almost looking like new BERTONE X1.9 that had PENNZOIL in it for 32 months of being parked and the engine RUSTED solid and the oil almost did not flow.

I have no problem parking my car with SynLube in it for 2 years and then starting it and driving it to FIAT meet in New Jersey for 42 hours non-stop.

TO me PROOF is how it works and did worked for me and few of my Friends over the time.

I have discussed it a lot with Miro who as he told me "runs" SynLube and does not actually own the business that is owned by some big shots from Silicon Valley, but even with almost unlimited $$$ they have also found that people have "closed" minds and in reality do not care about ENVIRONMENT or what happens to the USED OIL after they drain it out !

I do not think I will be posting much more on this web as I am finding it to be equivalent attempt to convert Muslim to Atheism.

Being NEW to this web I have only just now noticed that I have been responding to posts from 2 years ago, based on the BLUE date at top right of the post, at least I think that is the post date?

Well did anyone changed their minds since then and actually used SynLube in anyhting other than jonny-b and ME ?

1980 FIAT X1.9
2003 FORD Focus PZEV
1983 MASERATI Q-porte
1988 YUGO GVX

All have SynLube in them almost from being NEW, and absolutely NO problems with anything lubrication related, and I also have the Coolant and Brake Fluid dot 5.1 and Gear Oil IN ALL as well.

why does oil need to be changed? it doesnt, that is what my late dad, BIL and best friend have always "maintained"?...just add when it starts knocking

Originally Posted By: Ankhmaat
WOW - !!!

I have only recently got onto this web, my original reason was to learn more about lubrication, since this OIL GUY claims to know everything. Not because I am loooking for a "better" oil, as I am quite happy with the use of SynLube since 1979 in my FIAT X1.9 that is still running fine and only had one OIL CHANGE at 50,000 miles in about 1988.

The reason I joined was because I wanted to sell SynLube to other people as I am devout environmentalist, and NOT CHANGING OIL and NOT POLLUTING the EARTH matters to me more than some abstract OUI or what ever you call the Oil Analysis.

To me what matters is that the car runs PERFECT after 30 years and the emissions which are required in California for registration are all near ZERO.

I have posted my experience with used almost looking like new BERTONE X1.9 that had PENNZOIL in it for 32 months of being parked and the engine RUSTED solid and the oil almost did not flow.

I have no problem parking my car with SynLube in it for 2 years and then starting it and driving it to FIAT meet in New Jersey for 42 hours non-stop.

TO me PROOF is how it works and did worked for me and few of my Friends over the time.

I have discussed it a lot with Miro who as he told me "runs" SynLube and does not actually own the business that is owned by some big shots from Silicon Valley, but even with almost unlimited $$$ they have also found that people have "closed" minds and in reality do not care about ENVIRONMENT or what happens to the USED OIL after they drain it out !

I do not think I will be posting much more on this web as I am finding it to be equivalent attempt to convert Muslim to Atheism.

If you are so concerned with the enviroment what are you doing with a car? You burn hundreds of gallons of gas to each quart of oil. Besides all the CO2 you are putting in the atmosphere by just breathing. What about the electricity you are using and the oil required for all the food you eat?

I wanna see them shoot into the running engine with a hose. Then I'll believe, LOL. It's the super duper, be all end all, oil in the history of the universe. I bet if someone asks Captain Picard he'll say they used it on the Enterprise also. Maybe they could have used it on the doors to get rid of the SHHHHH noise they always made. HAHAHA

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ankhmaat
WOW - !!!

I have no problem telling you,even with magical oil that dont need to get change,seal would dry up after 2 year...no problem telling you your butterfly in the carburettor would be most likely seize ........and tell me how hard it is to get the fuel or the proper mix for the engine?

It is interesting to find someone repeating my post from months ago !

Did not read all seven pages of the posts in this link, but I have even posted the UOA see the "synlube results" that were started by someone else.

Looks to me that over time at least 5 different people calimed to use SynLube and all were booted out or their posts deleted, some of mine were.

It is definitely strange that people got used to the idea that they do not need tubes in their tires to be changed frequently and even went as far as having tube-less tires, Spark plugs and points and condenser that needed tune up replacement every 3,000 miles if not sooner, and so on.

I am the only one that is 60 years old on this web ?

Dont you remember that EVERYTHING was changed frequently on ALL vehicles in the past ? And now even "fuel filters" on most cars are part of the gas tank - I refuse to buy such cars !!!

As I am that old-fashioned - I like the option to change clogged fuel filter for few $ rather than replacing the gas tank (as one of my friends with Z4 BMW had to for $2,000) when the filter ultimately clogs up (at 86,000 miles !!!)

And TOYOTA and BMW does not even have dipstick on transmission, nor a word in the owner manual about it (ATF).

So why is it so hard to believe that there could be a NON PETROLEUM OIL (like SynLube, Du Pont KRYTOX, FRYQUEL and few others) that actually do not "deteriorate" and thus do not need to be changed as often as you might be used to when you use the old fashioned 1890's lubricant ?

Anybody noticed this is 2010 ?????

For your information Miro Kefurt is the owner of SynLube (well he told me actually people from San Jose CA own it, he just runs the business when he is in Las Vegas (which according to him is about once a week)) - he happens to be the same guy that introduced the YUGO to USA, and the other day a book has been published about it - seen that on YUGO owners forum.

(YES I do own a YUGO too - and I knwo what people say about them, but mine runs, runs, runs with SynLube in it since NEW !!!)

I have met the man years ago when they had a dealership in North Hollywood, and I have never met or seen a more honest mechanic/business operator.

While he was the business principal, he did not mind to change my flat tire when all the mechanics were busy and the 3 racks had cars on them.

He'd get jack from his own car, use hand wrench and 5 minutes later I had my spare on my car and he did not even bother to make invoice or accept a tip - it was all part of the customer service when they operated BERTONE Dealership, but I had a FIAT that FIAT gave up on in 1982 and that was 1988 - well they accepted my orphan car, and I am grateful for it, it still runs today !

So if any "houcter" claimed to be SynLube owner that was definitely [censored] !!!

I know the man who is running the SynLube business and I'd buy anything from him !

the latest I was told is that BREAMCH (www.bremach.it) will use it in the USA models in 2011 - they already have deal with GM to use their LS3 engines - the ones that use Mobil 1 in Corvette, but the Mobil 1 SAE 5W-30 oil just was not good enough when used in a 6 ton truck !!! Thus they use SynLube - GM apparently I am told knows about this product since 1972.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back