Why do you use the oil brand you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This got me thinking. Some folks here I see are brand loyal. I wondered why some folks use say Pennzoil, Valvoline etc.

Some of us use clearance oils (myself included) and I am not brand loyal as I vote with my wallet
wink.gif

I have gone back to SOPUS brands in the past year. Formula Shell, Quaker State and Pennzoil purchases. I only left for 3-4 years when they didn't honor a couple of my rebates. But I was faithful to them in the 70s, 80s and 90s and 00s.

I always felt they produced the best gasoline engine oils and now I'm back in their corner. However, I submitted an online $10 rebate yesterday and I better get this one....lol

Overall not brand loyal but for high mileage oil in my Jeep I really prefer Valvoline Maxlife. It just seems to work.

I pretty much used only Valvoline and WIX filters for 3 decades. A person that I have a lot of respect for his technical abilities made the recommendation and I used it. Since moving to Wyoming and the exreme cold temperatures I wanted something that flowed well @ -35f. I have been using Red Line but have started to switch to Ravenol since it actually has manufacturer approvals. I kind of miss the polar attractiveness of the Red Line ester oil and the USA made aspect of it. Most people will say I'm foolish wasting my money on these high $ oils but it's my money after all.

I prefer big name brand oils. But I can't afford them. I buy whatever's cheapest that meets spec. I try not to spend over $2/qt. I dont have any cars that need a special oil like a BMW or Mercedes. Supertech ,proline and Smitty's serve me well.

I'm waiting for the real penny pinchers and their stories of engines that went over a million miles using only Bar Lube and 3 year OCI's.
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I have used Valvoline for years with no issues. Pennzoil was the flavor growing up. Have also and currently running Mobil 1. Have some Pennzoil in the stash waiting on the rebates.

I use pennzoil platinum its the only widely available oil that is jeep ms-13340 spec
+ I get it on rebate deals under 3$/qt

I use Pennzoil and Quaker State which in Canada are both made by Shell Canada. The Pennzoil has as $10 per 5 liter jug rebate and the Quaker State has a $7 rebate. Both can be purchased for $28 CDN on sale at Walmart and for slightly more at Canadian Tire. With 4 jug limits each, that means 8 jugs; enough for me and my son's vehicles each year.

I'll use any name brand oil. I'll use one brand for a while then try another brand.

Used to be a Valvoline and Castrol only kinda guy.

Now it's what's cheapest /on sale and meets the spec of whatever vehicle it's going into.

Current favorites are Napa Conventional , QSUD and Chevron Supreme due to their low cost and availability in my area.

Hoping one day Walmarts near me will start carrying the 6 qt Havoline boxes.

If it meets my vehicle's minimum specifications and it's a good price, I'll use it. I don't buy into the expensive boutique brand claims as I've seen no real evidence they work any better than the normal mainstream brands.

I've varied over the years.

Used to use Mobil 1 exclusively, learned a little more and ventured out.

It depends on the vehicle. My truck gets Valvoline because it keeps the valve train noise down compared to others. Car gets whatever was is on sale. Usually supertech or maxlife if I have a choice.

Top quality products, happy with the results I have seen since I started using the brand over a decade ago in all my applications and in family applications. No need to change and it's shipped to my door within 2 days of ordering. Oh and a lot less oil changes thanks to being able to change at much longer intervals.

Last edited:
I used Mobil 1 in my 2002 Blazer. Changed every 4,000 miles. Just had to sell it for 305 dollars. Engine was still great 219,000 miles. Tranny shot. Air out for 2 years. Gas gauge broken. Ball joints worn out. Tires bald. Check engine light on. ABS light on. You can make an engine last forever everything else wears out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back