Why do ford 3.3L Engines Tick?

These trucks are hard to find but I did find one at a local lot and it too sounds identical. I cannot pinpoint it on mine. Could this just be a GDI injection thing?

My video the phone did some kind of enhancement in real life its not anywhere near that metallic sounding.

My 3.3L Engine video:

Youtuber 20K ish miles engine tick, need to have volume loud and you will hear it in the first 20 sec:

Mechanical returnless high pressure fuel pump, dual injection, cam phasers, like 28 feet of timing chain

Our 2018??? runaround work truck made that noise new. Super good truck.

I’m not an expert on these V6 engines but I believe that some versions have Direct Acting Mechanical Buckets in their valvetrain. This combined with the technologies listed above, may result in more noise.

So what is interesting is the tick is mistly on the pass side but the hp pump is on the drivers side valve cover. Very wierd.

Test drove a 2018 with that motor - certainly not real quiet -
DOHC mills have front/top end noise - some dampen it well …
My 3.6 Mopar makes far more noise than my 5.3 GM and the Chevy is the GDI of the two …

I have a 2019 f150 3.3. Just a daily driver. Homeowner running to Lowe’s vehicle. It’s been 100% reliable. I hate that they are going to drop it from there line up. I went with due to it being a NA non turbo engine. Did look at the 5.0 but to many oil issues being worked on with the cylinder liners at the time. Mines always had a small tick. I looked it up and came to the conclusion it’s injectors or fuel pump.

I think it's just the opposite. Engines used to be so smooth and quiet, probably due to their simplicity and heavy castings.

Hydraulic OHV valvetrains driven by simple 3 piece timing sets have relatively few moving parts. Carburetors don't make mechanical noises. Iron block, heads, stamped steel valve covers are great insulators.

Those who remember how quiet those old engines were are ultra sensitive to the mechanical noises these new sophisticated lightweight engines make.

Last edited:
Engines are so quiet now that we hear noises that have always been there 20 years ago.
Could be. Or could be we've managed to get cabs so quiet and exhaust, too.

When I was a kid there was never a question if a vehicle was idling if you just had "normal" hearing. Now some Hondas and others are nearly silent when idling. And I'm not talking ESS or hybrid/electric.

So somewhere between all these theories you wind up with Ford thinking they have to pipe a fake exhaust note through the stereo. I'll never understand that one.

Back