2016 Toyota Sienna Engine tick when oil becomes hot.

Hello all,

I have a 2016 Sienna LE with a loud ticking noise which I'm assuming are the hydraulic lifters, now I don't believe this is normal noise as I've owned a 2010 2GR-FE before and it was more quieter.

The noise begins once it runs a bit basically when the oil becomes warm, I've always used Advanced Fuel Econ Mobil 1 for the past 20k miles of owning it and before I started to change the oil I did not hear it, now today I've decided to change it to extended performance Mobil 1 hoping it would help but it did not.

I have saw some threads about the same exact noise but was never able to actually get a solution for it, one solution on youtube I saw was to switch to Extended performance which it fixed it for someone maybe after a bit of driving it will do the same to me.

At this point I don't know if it's the tensioner making the noise or lifters or something else. Any advice would be nice.

I think in 2016 they had partial direct injection. Direct injection injectors are noisy.

Could be an exhaust leak or the ac clutch. These also have those goofy clutches on the alternators that go bad but mine never made a noise when they went.

Simple enough to take the serpentine belt off and run without it on to see of noise is still there, then you can narrow it down.

Almost sounds like needs a valve adjustment but I am not familiar with those engines to know if it is possible.

Whatever the cause it's not likely to be corrected through a brand or type change. A grade change might however depending on the specific cause.
Someone else had this noise, they were using Mobil 1 normal, they changed to extended and that fixed it for them. I decided to just give it a shot didn't hurt to try.

I think in 2016 they had partial direct injection. Direct injection injectors are noisy.

Could be an exhaust leak or the ac clutch. These also have those goofy clutches on the alternators that go bad but mine never made a noise when they went.
You are thinking of the FKS which had DI and Port injection, the 16 still had the FE and the 17 got the FKS. but the alternator thing might be worth checking out, though would it only make noise once the the engine heats up and runs a few minutes on operating temp?

The Engine does not make the noise on cold starts runs great when not warmed, once it is warmed up and runs a bit on operating temp it will start ticking. So I'm assuming potentially that the Tensioner and lifters are fine but not sure. I did open up the inspection port on the Tensioner and it looked fine and not loose.

The noise is also dependent on rpms as you can see in the second video, would an exhaust leak do that as well?

Simple enough to take the serpentine belt off and run without it on to see of noise is still there, then you can narrow it down.

Almost sounds like needs a valve adjustment but I am not familiar with those engines to know if it is possible.
These Engines have Hydraulic Lifters or whatever they are called so they are not adjustable as far as I know.

The one exterior video sounds more like my diesels than I’d have ever expected….

I’m not thinking this is oil related, and it’s too mechanical and rhythmic imo to be associated with belts.

I’m kind of thinking maybe an exhaust leak??

The one exterior video sounds more like my diesels than I’d have ever expected….

I’m not thinking this is oil related, and it’s too mechanical and rhythmic imo to be associated with belts.

I’m kind of thinking maybe an exhaust leak??
I tend to agree, sounds like an exhaust leak to me.

I've had good luck with Shell RGT and Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage in terms of quiet valvetrains in my Toyota trucks. The tone and cadence of your tick sounds like valvetrain but tough to be certain from here. A mechanic's stethoscope will put you onto the source and they're fairly cheap.

If you're running 0W-20, then consider Toyota Genuine Motor Oil from your local dealer. This stuff quieted my neighbor's noisy '16 4Runner's valvetrain.

It doesn't sound like an exhaust leak, it sounds like valve train noise to me (notice that the ticking is occurring at half the engine RPMs?). You might have a sticky or defective hydraulic lash adjuster or rocker arm.

Just listened to the vids using headphones, and in the second video the noise is really pronounced when OP first revs it up, definitely not normal. The noise subsided a bit with higher RPM, so it seems like something that depends on oil pressure, chain tensioner, valves, maybe VVT?

I would grab a long screw driver and start listening around the engine.

Toss a bottle of Rislone Engine Treatment into it. Seems to be one of the few that does actually clean and quiet sticky valvetrains

Just listened to the vids using headphones, and in the second video the noise is really pronounced when OP first revs it up, definitely not normal. The noise subsided a bit with higher RPM, so it seems like something that depends on oil pressure, chain tensioner, valves, maybe VVT?

I would grab a long screw driver and start listening around the engine.
Yeah I already tried a stethoscope can't really tell where it's truly coming from as it's just giving the sound out throughout the whole engine.
I did go to a local mechanic, told me it's valve train noise and a lot of Toyota's do this and is nothing to worry about as long as I keep on maintenance. Thank you for all the help, I'll try Toyota's oil next change.

A hairline crack in an exhaust manifold can give you exactly this noise. Get up under that heat shield and see if the noise is clearer.

Yeah I already tried a stethoscope can't really tell where it's truly coming from as it's just giving the sound out throughout the whole engine.
I did go to a local mechanic, told me it's valve train noise and a lot of Toyota's do this and is nothing to worry about as long as I keep on maintenance. Thank you for all the help, I'll try Toyota's oil next change.
Sounds like I am having the same problem with my 2015 Sienna. Did the Toyota Oil change to fix the problem?

Sounds like I am having the same problem with my 2015 Sienna. Did the Toyota Oil change to fix the problem?
It actually helped quite a bit, at times I will still hear the tick when it's really hot outside, but now with the Toyota oil I barely hear it and never hear it being louder at higher rpms.

Recently these past few days I have not heard it ticking at all.

It actually helped quite a bit, at times I will still hear the tick when it's really hot outside, but now with the Toyota oil I barely hear it and never hear it being louder at higher rpms.

Recently these past few days I have not heard it ticking at all.
That's great news! Thank you. Did you buy it straight from the dealer or is there a better price available somewhere else?

Back