Lifter replacement

Following. The cleanliness is breathtaking.
I did the job this week. I pulled the cam, and since I couldn’t find a bad one, I threw all the lifters I had. Unfortunately I only had nine, not 10. It was easy to pull the cam.

For completeness I’ll post some photos here.

Lined up cam at TDC. 2.5 degrees of wear. FSM says that wear should be 2 degrees after 20k miles of break in. So essentially perfect.

IMG_9137.jpeg

Tie up the chain to the gear so it can’t jump teeth. Bolt removed.

IMG_9149.jpeg

Removed the cam. Specific de-torquing procedure to prevent damage.

IMG_9150.jpeg

Use a small magnet to remove lifters. My two oldest kids helped with all this.

IMG_9155.jpeg
IMG_9159.jpeg
IMG_9158.jpeg
IMG_9163.jpeg

Slathered things up with assembly lube and put the bearings back on in the right order. The cam sprocket bolt was the hardest thing. 45nm then 90 degrees. Beyond a point I couldn’t prevent the engine from being turned by the cam bolt. Eventually I was able to find something to wedge in to stop the turn. It worked out. No broken cam. Fired right up.

IMG_9164.jpeg

IMG_9169.jpeg

Alas, in the end, it wasn’t lifters at all. They checked out on because they were ok.

It was an injector that had been refurbished and balanced. And was hard to correlate the tapping and knocking via stethoscope… but that’s what it was.

So in the end I’ll find a good used injector, get it pop tested, and then put it into use. I don’t know if the old noisy injector is salvageable.

on a non-common rail diesel you can loosen one injector line, start it, and then if the tick is gone it was that injector. it will run rough with loose injector lines though

also if you only loosen the injector line slightly you can get it to inject less but still inject. then you can mess with the cylinder balance on the injection pump. I don't think you're supposed to do it this way but it worked on a 12v Cummins that was over fueling on one cylinder because the owner had installed one of the fuel metering bores wrong

on a non-common rail diesel you can loosen one injector line, start it, and then if the tick is gone it was that injector. it will run rough with loose injector lines though

also if you only loosen the injector line slightly you can get it to inject less but still inject. then you can mess with the cylinder balance on the injection pump. I don't think you're supposed to do it this way but it worked on a 12v Cummins that was over fueling on one cylinder because the owner had installed one of the fuel metering bores wrong
I had tried doing that but I wasn’t able to diagnose well enough because once it starts running real rough everything else starts rattling and knocking…

I know it’s good for diagnosing some things, but not noise, imo.

Back