Why all the Dislike for Chysler/Dodge/Jeep auto's

I have had many Dodge and Chrysler vehicles and have not had a bad one. Currently own a 93 Roadtrek on a B350 chassis. Also a 2007 with Hemi with 218K. Had many Ford Windstars and each had transmission die between 9k and 36K. Had as many Chrysler dodge minivans with Zero mechanical failures. I traveled to repair medical xray equipment and covered over 100K miles in each 3 years. There was no going home time in this job. Had to be dependable. Also had a 65 Dodge 1/2 ton with slant 6 and stick and a 76 Dodge 1/2 ton and A 73 Plymouth Fury 3 and a Dodge Spirit Turbo and a Plymouth Breeze. All were good vehicles with easy repairs and inexpensive parts.

Hilarious to think that at one point the 305 made what, 140 horses? The current 4.3 Ecotec3 V6 makes 285hp/300tq. All while being lighter, quieter, cleaner, smaller, and stronger. Technology is a great thing.

However! To be fair, in it's day the TPI 5.0 in the F-bodies was a decent engine. A little wheezy in the top end, but for their time they were competitive machines.
Agreed. Actually I had two vehicles with a 305. An 85 Trans Am that started smoking around 90,000 miles and an 86 K5 Blazer. I went to my mechanic and asked him to put a 350 in. He told me that getting it smogged would be trouble because it wasn't the original. He ordered me a 305 crate motor and installed a roller cam and tweaked it here and there. It was stronger than a local 90 350 TA.
The K5 was a real POS power wise and a year or so later it dropped number seven. Back again and he rebuilt it, put a good cam in and tweaked it. It was quicker and faster Than a coworker kers 92 350 2 wheel-drive Silverado.

No hate here and while I own many GM cars, we also own a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland and a 2016 RAM Limited. Both of these vehicles have been trouble free...something I wish I could say for my GM vehicles. The Jeep has 120k and the Ram just turned 90k.

Hilarious to think that at one point the 305 made what, 140 horses? The current 4.3 Ecotec3 V6 makes 285hp/300tq. All while being lighter, quieter, cleaner, smaller, and stronger. Technology is a great thing.
More repair cost and TCO just to get from point A to B, looks better on paper than to your wallet.

Funny how those who praise tech, never take much advantage of it, just end up spending a lot more for their ideals. Unless you race people from one stop light to the next?

The hilarious thing is that you probably spend many multiple times as much as the average person, just to go from point A to B. That's not great tech, that's being a shill to marketing, who paid a premium for something worked out decades ago.

Last edited:
I’ve had my Jeep for a little over 12 years. The only catastrophic failure was my CPS, which basically caused it to die for 1-2 seconds while on the highway. Everything else was wear and tear items.

Not sure on today’s FCA products. The majority of ones that interest me now are too new a good reliability test. Consumer reports doesn’t have them very good either.

I think they get a bad reputation in the automotive/technician community because back in the late 90’s/early 2000’s they had a lot of transmission problems, evap codes, O2 sensor codes, leaking intakes, leaking fuel rails, AC condensers.

I used To be a tech for a fleet...we only had GM, Ford and Chrysler....Chrysler were by FAR the worst. But I don’t think that’s any longer the case. The 3.8’s seem pretty darn reliable now...I don’t see the constant transmission problems anymore. They’re great looking vehicles and their trucks are selling like hot cakes. The Jeeps are also selling like bananas and I don’t think they’re having a ton of problems. I think they’ve come a long way and have moved past GM and maybe even Ford now. But I’m Not sure on that.

I haven’t had good experience with the 2001 Cherokee considering the engine went at 108,000. I have heard nothing but bad from most modern Mopar owners but we have a lot of people that like them here. Personally I would not go near another one with a 10 foot pole. Everyone calls me bias but it’s just from my experience and when you know Mopar mechanics and salesman you would understand too. And since I started at the independent shop it has been our 3rd most worked on vehicle brand anything with a Mopar. 🍿. 🙂.
While I can understand your opinion based on your experience it still doesn't make it a solid fact that FCA makes bad vehicles. I work for GM and own a lot of GM cars and been thru the typical issues they all have so when we got the Grand Cherokee (because GM doesn't make anything like it with 4WD capabilty) and it never went back to the dealer for anything I was surprised. Then I got the new RAM and same experience - nothing wrong with it compared to the 15 warranty repairs on my Denali and 9 on my CTS. Still have those vehicles and they are still having issues out of warranty but I own a repair shop so it is no problem for me to fix them. So, my experience is opposite yours but doesn't make it fact that GM is bad all around either. Also, for you to only get 108k miles out of a 4.0L Cherokee is odd because that is a stout motor that goes 200k+ without issues.

By the way family is from Roanoke. Cheers!

I have a 2020 Jeep GC 3.6 ....Ive owned a Dodge Journey a 2016 4 cyl that i gave to my brother....and a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 truck 4.7 v-8. plus other mopar cars back to high school ......first was a 73 plymouth Duster with a 318 4 brl
I get why do you buy junk cars ? Ive owned them for years and never had a lemon yet....and drove them to 155k miles ( 09 Ram)
Worst car was ive ever bought was 01 Honda Civic EX auto my wife had ....Engine blew at 65k.....trans at 80k.....oh and AC went out after she gave it to her daughter at 88k.....we were in a class action suit against Honda and took years to get 3800 bucks back....thats is all we got.
Ive never had a engine blow or trans crap out on any mopar auto ive owned...The worst thing i cant think of is the windshield wipers stopped working on the highway in a down pour in the Ram truck once...
Ive read were people have had problems but ive never had one yet....knock on wood.
Has anybody had any catastrophic event with a Mopar?
I've had 5 Jeeps since 1993 and all have been good. The newest Wrangler is the best of them all and one of the best vehicles I've ever owned. In fact, the 3 Wranglers have all been amazing when you consider the royal beating Ive given them off-road.

Most folks I know in the Jeep clubs would tell you their Jeeps have been great. I'll add that my brothers have had 3 Jeeps and a Chrysler mini van. All good. That mini van went the distance, too. So 5 of the family Chryslers went well beyond 100k with little trouble. My 2008 JK is at 150k. It's had a couple issues but nothing I'd consider major. It looks and drives like new and like I said, I've flogged it off road many times.

I likened it to the old perceived ideas about some motor oils that used to cause sludge....
Now they are some of the best oils out there. FCA vehicles are in that same perception with folks my age that recall past issues. Gone now of course but the public has a strong memory...

While I can understand your opinion based on your experience it still doesn't make it a solid fact that FCA makes bad vehicles. I work for GM and own a lot of GM cars and been thru the typical issues they all have so when we got the Grand Cherokee (because GM doesn't make anything like it with 4WD capabilty) and it never went back to the dealer for anything I was surprised. Then I got the new RAM and same experience - nothing wrong with it compared to the 15 warranty repairs on my Denali and 9 on my CTS. Still have those vehicles and they are still having issues out of warranty but I own a repair shop so it is no problem for me to fix them. So, my experience is opposite yours but doesn't make it fact that GM is bad all around either. Also, for you to only get 108k miles out of a 4.0L Cherokee is odd because that is a stout motor that goes 200k+ without issues.

By the way family is from Roanoke. Cheers!
Yeah the Cherokee overheated after you turned it off it was really strange. And we think it warped the block because we thought maybe the head gasket was leaking or something even though there wasn’t any signs of it so we took everything apart and went to put it back together and the cylinder head and block wouldn’t mate together anymore they were uneven. Very strange. And cool didn’t know your family was from Roanoke 😎.

I have a 2020 Jeep GC 3.6 ....Ive owned a Dodge Journey a 2016 4 cyl that i gave to my brother....and a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 truck 4.7 v-8. plus other mopar cars back to high school ......first was a 73 plymouth Duster with a 318 4 brl
Has anybody had any catastrophic event with a Mopar?
Back in the 70's had a 73 Duster with the 3.8. Lived on West 92nd street in Manhattan and drove to upstate NY everyday to work. Weekends went to Seaside Heights New .Jersey. Had no issues with it. Even the a/c in it worked great. Had way over 100K miles on it before selling it for a V8 Caprice.

He is painful
And not very dependable for knowledge either Jim. You wouldn’t believe the customers we have come in that say oh a really reputable guy on YouTube named Scotty Kilmer who has been a professional mechanic for over 50 years said this so that is what I want done and we have to tell them he isn’t then they call us bias and get mad and leave. 🤣🙂.

And not very dependable for knowledge either Jim. You wouldn’t believe the customers we have come in that say oh a really reputable guy on YouTube named Scotty Kilmer who has been a professional mechanic for over 50 years said this so that is what I want done and we have to tell them he isn’t then they call us bias and get mad and leave. 🤣🙂.
There are those types of clowns everywhere.
In my business the YouTubers usually are novices that want to make a name for themselves and have about zippo experience.
look at that poser Nate.............

There are those types of clowns everywhere.
In my business the YouTubers usually are novices that want to make a name for themselves and have about zippo experience.
look at that poser Nate.............
The unfortunate thing is my dad listens to him too Jim LOL. Yes Nate and 540Rat are no good either. My teacher met Mr. Kilmer once at Sema and said he was a nice guy but doesn’t seem like someone that would know too much about cars these days but maybe 50 years ago.

The unfortunate thing is my dad listens to him too Jim LOL. Yes Nate and 540Rat are no good either. My teacher met Mr. Kilmer once at Sema and said he was a nice guy but doesn’t seem like someone that would know too much about cars these days but maybe 50 years ago.
Look the guy has a cash cow. I can understand it and he has the in your face style.
But to hang on his every word is nuts.
Plus most of his nonsense is opinion. Hey to each his own right???

Look the guy has a cash cow. I can understand it and he has the in your face style.
But to hang on his every word is nuts.
Plus most of his nonsense is opinion. Hey to each his own right???
That’s right Jim. Most mechanics are very opinionated. Just like he said he had seen Bluetooth code scanners damage cars but then he turns around and recommends them.

Back