Why all the Dislike for Chysler/Dodge/Jeep auto's

My two Rubicons had annoying issues. That said, they were a lot of fun, phenomenal offroad, and kept obscene resale value. One was a 2013 four door, I paid 35k for it (USAA pricing) new. Traded it in with just less than 50k miles, a dented front bumper, heater wasn't working well, smelled kinda musty inside, carpet was all dirty and pulled up, tires half worn out, and still got 30k for it.

In exchange I bought a crew 4x4 2500HD work truck for 35k that has been flawless for almost 60k miles. So basically I paid 5k plus a four year old Rubicon for a brand new truck.

You can't beat putting almost 50k miles on a new vehicle and only losing 5 grand in resale, especially when it is a little banged up when you trade it in.. So I guess I look at my Jeep experience and think, well, honestly it wasn't super high quality but in the big picture it didn't really cost me anything, either.

It's about averages. The average FCA is lower quality than the major competitors, though you can get a lemon from any brand or just beat the heck out of it and have unreasonable expectations.

The larger problem today is FCA quality doesn't seem to have risen as much as vehicle complexity, so more things to go wrong X % risk = $$$$ & downtime.

Even so I wouldn't call the difference extreme, esp. compared to GM or Nissan. If a certain vehicle strikes your fancy, it is worth a few repairs down the road.

115k is your max? Pfft.
Not everyone wants to drive a vehicle till the wheels fall off.

I tried the whole “buy an old Camry because they’re more reliable than a brick!” thing. It left me and my wife stranded. Replaced it with a 2012 Dodge Caliber that never gave us any problems.

My 2011 Durango was a bit of a basket case, but it was also the first year of the new Durango and I bought it used. My 2016 300 never gave me problems, but had to get rid of it for something more practical and better in the snow. Our 2018 Grand Caravan now has 70k miles on it with no issues. My 2019 Ram 1500 Classic has no issues so far with 12k on it.

My parents just gave away their 2004 Gand Caravan to my dad’s coworker... it burns a little bit of oil, it’s rusty, but still has the factory 4 speed that had no problems with ~180k on it despite the absolute abuse my parents put it through. Their 2007 Caliber never had any problems, and their 2013 200 has been great.

My dad bought a '67 Chrysler Newport in 1972, and it turned out to be an excellent car - head and shoulders above his previous cars (a '49 Mercury Monarch, a '61 Pontiac Tempest, and a '63 Biscayne). Dad was very hard on cars, but that 383 never missed a beat. He owned only Mopars for the rest of his life. They served him well.

I have had two Chrysler products previously, a '69 Imperial (1984 - 1987), and an '80 Volare wagon (1992 - 1997). Both cars were free hand-me-downs, and both had good reliable drivetrains but were plagued with various electrical issues, but I can't judge either of them harshly, given that they were pretty ancient when I got them.

Historically, Chrysler has been on the cutting edge engineering-wise, introducing the alternator, and electronic ignition.

For better or worse, we've just purchased a 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan, so time will tell ... this is the first domestic car I've bought since 1978. I'm hoping for the best.

Last edited:
Scotty Kilmer...

He'll tell his viewers all sorts of innacuracies,

Like how the "2.4 World Gasoline Engine is an Italian design from Fiat" (WRONG - it was a joint effort with Hyundai and Mitsubishi).

He's also said that the "Pentastar V6" is a garbage Italian engine (WRONG -- it was designed by Chrysler and Mercedes)

He'll tell you how the minivans are famous for blowing transmissions (this was true in the 90s, but that was 20 years ago....the 6 speed auto has been fine... the 9 speed Chrysler currently uses isn't amazing, but it is also used by Honda and Acura).

Basically, an old guy spouting off old, uninformed opinions to ignorant viewers.

Scotty Kilmer...

Like how the "2.4 World Gasoline Engine is an Italian design from Fiat" (WRONG - it was a joint effort with Hyundai and Mitsubishi).

He's also said that the "Pentastar V6" is a garbage Italian engine (WRONG -- it was designed by Chrysler and Mercedes)

He'll tell you how the minivans are famous for blowing transmissions (this was true in the 90s, but that was 20 years ago....the 6 speed auto has been fine... the 9 speed Chrysler currently uses isn't amazing, but it is also used by Honda and Acura).

Basically, an old guy spouting off old, uninformed opinions to ignorant viewers.

That Scotty spews inaccurate information but is frequently mentioned on here means there is something very wrong. However-if you look at what is sometimes said on this website you suddenly understand......

Everyone hates Chrysler because we have repeated threads like this with the same folks repeating the same posts.

Remember the emoji we had of beating the dead horse? Insert here -->
EC344B69-08E3-4896-93FA-DE2103115EC7.gif

I think it's hit or miss. They cost less up front for a reason. If one gets lucky they are ahead--if not, the money saved can be spent on repairs, and with luck, still be ahead. I've thought the Pentastar, with 6AT FWD or 8AT RWD, by all accounts, was well received.

All makers have bad spells. It's just that, for Chrysler, it started in the Malaise era, and by all accounts, didn't stop until recently.

2001 Civic was junk, we had one, couldn't keep a/c in it, and it's the only vehicle that can rust out a CV axle that I've heard of.

Like this?

I have a 2020 Jeep GC 3.6 ....Ive owned a Dodge Journey a 2016 4 cyl that i gave to my brother....and a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 truck 4.7 v-8. plus other mopar cars back to high school ......first was a 73 plymouth Duster with a 318 4 brl
I get why do you buy junk cars ? Ive owned them for years and never had a lemon yet....and drove them to 155k miles ( 09 Ram)
Worst car was ive ever bought was 01 Honda Civic EX auto my wife had ....Engine blew at 65k.....trans at 80k.....oh and AC went out after she gave it to her daughter at 88k.....we were in a class action suit against Honda and took years to get 3800 bucks back....thats is all we got.
Ive never had a engine blow or trans crap out on any mopar auto ive owned...The worst thing i cant think of is the windshield wipers stopped working on the highway in a down pour in the Ram truck once...
Ive read were people have had problems but ive never had one yet....knock on wood.
Has anybody had any catastrophic event with a Mopar?

I like smaller cars and I really liked the looks of the Dart.

Sadly, like many Dodges, it's more about being a pretty face than anything else.

Mopar is no different than GM or Ford. For some reason, they seem to get more flack but the truth of the matter is when you look at the issues from a technicians view they're all the same. And that was true LONG before I got into the business. A few examples:

Early 80's when Chrysler was selling K-cars hand over fist, while the best GM could do was the X-car. The K-cars were always hated on, yet the basic platform lasted WELL into the 90's and underpinned some decent vehicles and the game-changing Minivans. How long did the X-cars last?

The universally hated A604 transmission. Back in '91, people swore off Chrysler for good over issues with that unit. However, much like today, people were not understanding of the technology. It was a fully electronic, adaptable transmission. Software design and computing power back then just wasn't quite ready. After the 3rd or 4th year, the A604 became the 41TE and ended up being one of the most reliable transmissions out there. As long as it isn't completely abused, the worst you'll have to do on a 41TE is the solenoid pack, which is EXTERNALLY mounted and incredibly easy to swap.

The GM/Ford 6T70/6F50 transmission. GM went cheap and swapped a bearing for a thrust washer (or something, I'm not a trans guy). The GM units fail constantly, the Ford units are almost bulletproof.

GM AFM issues in the 5.3 vs. camshaft bearing issues in the HEMI. See? They both have issues. However, the AFM issue became almost a guarantee, vs. the HEMI which was really not much of an issue at all.

Ford using plastic timing chain tensioners on the 5.4 3v. What? Horrible choice of materials.

At the end of the day, they're really all the same. Every model in every category from every manufacturer is going to have issues. They all have their design flaws, engineering "quirks" (I'm looking at you Chrysler, with your stupid batteries in the stupid fender well), and their victories.

Moral of the story, buy what you like. I like Chevy, that's why I bought my Volt. I also loved my Marauder, a Ford product. Another one of my favorites? My 1996 LHS. Chrysler hit a home run with the original LH cars, IMO, and even at 155k miles that thing drove as nice as any Cadillac I've owned, if not quite as quiet at speed.

I like smaller cars and I really liked the looks of the Dart.

Sadly, like many Dodges, it's more about being a pretty face than anything else.

Seems like everyone I've known who has a Dart of that vintage says its a crappy car.

I've also heard similar reports of Ford Focuses (something with the transmission)

Also, Hyundai and Kia blowing engines (I think there is a recall for that).

Most Toyotas seem to be good...but there is something about a Toyota 2.4 burning a lot of oil for a few model years.

Scotty Kilmer...

As Forrest would say, " stupid is as stupid does."

Mopar is no different than GM or Ford. For some reason, they seem to get more flack but the truth of the matter is when you look at the issues from a technicians view they're all the same. And that was true LONG before I got into the business. A few examples:

Early 80's when Chrysler was selling K-cars hand over fist, while the best GM could do was the X-car. The K-cars were always hated on, yet the basic platform lasted WELL into the 90's and underpinned some decent vehicles and the game-changing Minivans. How long did the X-cars last?

The universally hated A604 transmission. Back in '91, people swore off Chrysler for good over issues with that unit. However, much like today, people were not understanding of the technology. It was a fully electronic, adaptable transmission. Software design and computing power back then just wasn't quite ready. After the 3rd or 4th year, the A604 became the 41TE and ended up being one of the most reliable transmissions out there. As long as it isn't completely abused, the worst you'll have to do on a 41TE is the solenoid pack, which is EXTERNALLY mounted and incredibly easy to swap.

The GM/Ford 6T70/6F50 transmission. GM went cheap and swapped a bearing for a thrust washer (or something, I'm not a trans guy). The GM units fail constantly, the Ford units are almost bulletproof.

GM AFM issues in the 5.3 vs. camshaft bearing issues in the HEMI. See? They both have issues. However, the AFM issue became almost a guarantee, vs. the HEMI which was really not much of an issue at all.

Ford using plastic timing chain tensioners on the 5.4 3v. What? Horrible choice of materials.

At the end of the day, they're really all the same. Every model in every category from every manufacturer is going to have issues. They all have their design flaws, engineering "quirks" (I'm looking at you Chrysler, with your stupid batteries in the stupid fender well), and their victories.

Moral of the story, buy what you like. I like Chevy, that's why I bought my Volt. I also loved my Marauder, a Ford product. Another one of my favorites? My 1996 LHS. Chrysler hit a home run with the original LH cars, IMO, and even at 155k miles that thing drove as nice as any Cadillac I've owned, if not quite as quiet at speed.
And the GM 305 was an amazing power house!!..............Yeah Baby!

And the GM 305 was an amazing power house!!..............Yeah Baby!
Hilarious to think that at one point the 305 made what, 140 horses? The current 4.3 Ecotec3 V6 makes 285hp/300tq. All while being lighter, quieter, cleaner, smaller, and stronger. Technology is a great thing.

However! To be fair, in it's day the TPI 5.0 in the F-bodies was a decent engine. A little wheezy in the top end, but for their time they were competitive machines.

I’ve enjoyed every Daimler vehicle I’ve owned... 2 minivans and 2 grand cherokees, but also knew what I was getting into. Perhaps Chrysler people and Volvo people have a similarity here.... a certain penchant for learning the vehicle’s quirks and staying on it. I also avoided particular Daimler products which I knew weren’t blessed with good auto-dna. for us, these vehicles were not as trouble-free as the Japanese brands we had, but that’s not why we bought them. One of the vans was close to flawless, a base trim 4th gen Grand Cara.. the other had more features and had a rash of small problems, but I never hesitated to take it out of state. The Jeeps were FUN and the 93 was my most favorite ever, but the 08 grand chero, while a great daily driver, suffered from so many small-part nuisances that we didnt keep it long, especially once it involved the fuel rail. none of them left me stranded, but all of them surprised me with things like no heat, stalls, flakey electronics, early failure of lock motors, shorted blower, whacky switchgear, and unfortunately, a dealership that was basically incompetent.

I learned at my dealer to thoroughly inspect the work before ever starting the car, if I used it (warranty work) at all. EVERY TIME, I’d find something missing, bent, jammed, non-movable, and walk back in and hand them the keys. One day, 3 times!

m

It must be a hit and Miss thing.

For me my only personal experience with a then FCA product was a Jeep Patriot rental. This was several years ago. It was brand new and only had a few hundred miles on it. I got into it one morning and something stuck me in the back of my ankle area. Looking closely I found a screw with the pointy end facing forward. Now did it come from the factory that way? I’ll never know.

I installed a electrical wire nut on the end and drove on.

Back