Why all the Dislike for Chysler/Dodge/Jeep auto's

I haven’t had good experience with the 2001 Cherokee considering the engine went at 108,000. I have heard nothing but bad from most modern Mopar owners but we have a lot of people that like them here. Personally I would not go near another one with a 10 foot pole. Everyone calls me bias but it’s just from my experience and when you know Mopar mechanics and salesman you would understand too. And since I started at the independent shop it has been our 3rd most worked on vehicle brand anything with a Mopar. 🍿. 🙂.
I would think that auto's like VW Audi etc....would be the most problems...My friend bought a new A4 Audi in Scottsdale and it stopped before he got it home.....had to call the dealer to send a truck with 15 miles on it....something with the computer.
Somebody asked about my 09 Ram with 155k miles i sold to a guy who was going to use it to tow his fishing boat on the weekends....as far as i know its still going with about 170k+ miles on it now....it was also 4 wheel drive.
In buying Jeep 3.6 over Ford Exploder ...I will not buy any eco /turbo anything.....im not paying 40k for a 4 banger turbo.
The best car I ever owned was a used 90 Toyota Camry 4 cyl I bought with 18k miles.....I drove to 240k miles and gave it to my wife daughter to learn to drive in....she was hit in 3 months and car was totaled. My little 73 Datsun truck was one of the best trucks ive ever owned....my father used it in his biz after i left for college to deliver washers/dryers/dishwashers etc....and he had over 200k when i was hit by a large truck on a freeway and the driver was killed in it.
I dont think Japanese cars are as good as say back in the early 90's ....plus they are so expensive and Toyota wont budge on prices....its almost the sticker price is the price now....I tried to buy a 4 runner before the Jeep and it was 42k base....dealer would only drop 1k off the sticker....My Jeep Limited was 37k sticker and I paid close to 31k.
Is the Toyota 4runner a better SUV ....I would guess so..but for almost 12k diff in price....not worth it to me.
Im 63 retired and only drive about 7-8k a year now...im sure the Jeep should last me the rest of my life I hope.

Not too embarrassed to tell you he broke down, but too embarrassed to tell you what broke?
The owner never told me it broke down and only admitted it after I asked him why he was driving another car when he just bought his Jeep.

like I said , I do not even know what caused his brand new Jeep to break down, twice, and leave him stranded. It’s definitely let him down, big time, twice and is back at the dealership.

I have driven several Honda’s and Toyota’s and have not had any serious issues ( knock on wood ) and most had over 300,000 miles on them ( had to replace wheel bearing, alternator, air conditioner clutch ....original engine clutch , exhaust, ).

Last edited:
‘14 JGC has been trouble free for 70k. Drives and feels like brand new.
‘16 Challenger Hellcat M6 with 11k has been trouble free and just plain fun.

My personal experience fixing NS minivan's to present, LX platform (including my dad's '13 300), and various Neon/PT/Breeze/other cloud cars

AND Jeeps, (4.0/4.7 HO) KJ Liberty 3.7, etc

They're good looking, and nice to drive, when new, if not a lemon

They do not age well, and dealership service can be hit or miss

My dad talks very highly of the 727 TorqueFlite/225 Super 6 days, saying those cars were fairly durable, and cheap/easy to fix

Valiant/Dart/Diplomat/Fury era (he also ran car service, they were perennial favorites with the trade)

Owning the '13 300 really soured him on FCA (at the time) vehicles

He managed a transmission shop in the late 80s to mid 90s, that's the main reason he bought my mother the Villager, to avoid A604/Ultradrive problems

Between shoddy build, fit and finish problems, that **** TIPM, 3.6 oil coolers, hemi cams, ball joints, subframe rust, on and on and on

I wouldn't sink money into one unless it was a good price, I really liked the car, and got as much extended warranty as they'd sell me

Manufacturers in the last 20 years have been going with the attitude that if we can save $1 on making a part out of plastic inside the transmission that was previously made of metal, and the cost benefit analysis shows the likely failure rate under warranty is less than the total cost savings, they go with the cheaper part. The company is being run by bean counters, not engineers. They don't see the big picture and what it does for customer perceptions. They might have saved a million dollars on just one part but when it fails out of warranty, the owner will likely not buy the same brand again.

I would think that auto's like VW Audi etc....would be the most problems...My friend bought a new A4 Audi in Scottsdale and it stopped before he got it home.....had to call the dealer to send a truck with 15 miles on it....something with the computer.
Somebody asked about my 09 Ram with 155k miles i sold to a guy who was going to use it to tow his fishing boat on the weekends....as far as i know its still going with about 170k+ miles on it now....it was also 4 wheel drive.
In buying Jeep 3.6 over Ford Exploder ...I will not buy any eco /turbo anything.....im not paying 40k for a 4 banger turbo.
The best car I ever owned was a used 90 Toyota Camry 4 cyl I bought with 18k miles.....I drove to 240k miles and gave it to my wife daughter to learn to drive in....she was hit in 3 months and car was totaled. My little 73 Datsun truck was one of the best trucks ive ever owned....my father used it in his biz after i left for college to deliver washers/dryers/dishwashers etc....and he had over 200k when i was hit by a large truck on a freeway and the driver was killed in it.
I dont think Japanese cars are as good as say back in the early 90's ....plus they are so expensive and Toyota wont budge on prices....its almost the sticker price is the price now....I tried to buy a 4 runner before the Jeep and it was 42k base....dealer would only drop 1k off the sticker....My Jeep Limited was 37k sticker and I paid close to 31k.
Is the Toyota 4runner a better SUV ....I would guess so..but for almost 12k diff in price....not worth it to me.
Im 63 retired and only drive about 7-8k a year now...im sure the Jeep should last me the rest of my life I hope.
Haha exactly VW/Audi are always coming into our shop that’s number one on the list and Chevrolet is second and Mopar stuff third. So definitely not the worst. I love Toyota and Ford and I don’t disagree with you one bit on the Toyota prices and not to mention they could care less about the customers and their concerns or issues. My brother in law had a 1989 Camry and got rear ended and totaled it he was so disappointed and I was too because it was an excellent car.

My new 77 power wagon had a short that created starting problems. Dealer couldn't fix but a local mechanic figured it out and it was good from there on. My 98 neon RT had the infamous Head gasket/oil leak that was common on these models. Dodge wouldn't cover it but the dealer that sold to me did. I have had three More since then with no issues.
Don't get me started with the GM Vehicles I have owned!!
Ive never owned a GM auto and never will....my father bought them...even though they fell apart...my mother bought a 76 Vega when i was a Senior in HS. I told her buy a Datsun B210 ......nope she would never buy those crappy cars.

It's only their 4 speed automatics that were bad. The 3 speed automatics were very reliable, as were the transmissions that were 5 speed.

The Ford automatics of that era weren't great either but for some reason Chrysler takes the cake on bad 4 speed automatics.

Everyone hates Chrysler because we have repeated threads like this with the same folks repeating the same posts.

Remember the emoji we had of beating the dead horse? Insert here -->

i get tired of why did you buy a Jeep GC over a Ford Exploder?

My dad always drove Chrysler products. My first car was a '60 Dodge Dart Seneca, which was a total crap car even though it had low mileage and was only 3 years old.

Since then I've driven a number of Chrysler products (Duster, Jeep, PT Cruiser, Daytona and probably a few others). As a rental or someone else's vehicle they're just fine. But I wouldn't own one. They've had poor reliability records for at least 40 years. All you can go on is data. Why buy unreliability?

We had three 2014 Caravan C/V cargo vans in our fleet.
All three had transmissions rebuilt at 60k miles.
Two had their transmission go out again at 150k miles.
One lost an engine at 130K - all had 3.6 V6.

I like Honda .. but would never buy a 2001 - 2005 Civic , that was not a good generation .

I'll just leave this right here for you Mopar or No Car types ;)

Attachments

• Fiat-van.jpg
    Fiat-van.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 124
Yet you hear very little about the $3-4K timing chain replacements that are like a scheduled service on Ford ecoboost engines when they reach around 100k miles or the fairly common head gasket/head replacement on Subaru's around that same mileage. There are other examples from all the makes. I can go through the local marketplace listings and see hundreds of examples of FCA vehicles that are well used up and for sale with 200k+ miles on them. I drive VW's, I do my own maintenance, I own FCA products too. Do my own maintenance. When I say maintenance I don't mean a topsider and filter. I mean major maintenance. Just recently finished a rebuild on a 440 Mopar. Replaced a steering rack in a friends Honda last week, only had 90k miles, etc etc. I think I have a pretty good perspective. Most people are best served with Asian vehicles. I really like the Toyota Sienna AWD vans. Problem being I can buy two FCA vans for the price of one Sienna AWD. It is all a matter of perspective and the cost of ownership. Everyone hates the 62te transmission in the FCA vehicles. They have a poor rep and can be hit or miss. I can R&R a 62te for less than $3k. 90% of all other vehicles are at least twice that much. Ever wonder what it cost to R&R a modern econobox CVT? Subaru/Honda/Toyota/Nissan etc....easy $5k+. So it is all a matter of perspective.

Haha exactly VW/Audi are always coming into our shop that’s number one on the list and Chevrolet is second and Mopar stuff third. So definitely not the worst. I love Toyota and Ford and I don’t disagree with you one bit on the Toyota prices and not to mention they could care less about the customers and their concerns or issues. My brother in law had a 1989 Camry and got rear ended and totaled it he was so disappointed and I was too because it was an excellent car.
Always wanted an Audi A4 but still too chicken despite hearing reliability is not bad.

Had a transmission issue with my 2015 Caravan at 88,xxx kms (54k miles). Had to change the torque converter. Was proactive changed some of the fluid and filter early, but it failed 6 months after warranty. I have done some towing with it and hauled shingles etc for home Reno's.

I'm a bit pissed, but I saved over 10k from buying a Sienna and it was zero percent interest for 5 years. So I'm farther off ahead payment wise. I think their is hate for FCA products because of some of these weaknesses in designs. Guy I know had a charger with the Hemi and had the valve seats fail and he had to pay over 5k to get the engine rebuilt. He couldn't walk away because he bought the car used and was still making payments on it.
I had an earlier Grand Caravan that I ordered after Iaccoca went on tv and promised they had fixed the transmissions on them. It stranded me on I-95 and took weeks for the nearby dealer to put a rebuilt trans in that never shifted right. Last MOPAR for me. I had an extended warranty on it and they spent over $8k on it.

Back