Who's still rockin' a turntable?

Decades back I had an Akai Linear tracking turntable with a Grado Cartridge ... I miss vinyl :cry:
In our recent move to a new home I found a few of my teenage years albums, one of them was an AC/DC Back In Black album, Steppenwolf Live and Three Dog Night. Last but not least, that holiday favorite = Arlo Guthrie/Alices Restaurant (for all you young ones, do a search and listen closely about life in the USA and during the Vietnam War ...

All the other more recent ones gone, Im really upset that one thing I made a point to save is no where to be found, I think my x wife decades back must have sold it a Original Master Recording of Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon ... not even sure who or what I gave the others to from the 80s I got rid of the turntable when Motorola came out with one of the first generation CD players, at least back then I got to watch the CD spin.

Music used to be a touchy feely thing, physical and audio, now its digits on a chip that I cant see move around or touch, I miss those days of vinyl ...

Remnants of my past, I think the only reason I may have these is because they were in my mothers basement still from the old days... I have no clue how I ended up with them, they weren't my favorites but I liked some of the songs a lot... yet my wife put them in the cabinet of our new home for me under the laser printer *LL*

IMG_4190.JPG

Last edited:
After my friend got engaged, he started giving away his stuff (huge red flag in my book). He gave me his Dual 522.

I had it stashed it away for years until recently. The return tone arm mechanism needed attention; the arm wouldn't swing over the record. A simple steuerpimpel replacement and it was back in business.

Can you believe she even told him to pitch his Top Ramen? I haven't seen him in decades. I hope he isn't miserable.

Have 2 nice turntables. A VPI Traveler and a 1969 Dual 1219 fully functionable. Try to use each one for an hour a week. It really helps the Dual and the belt on the VPI doesn't take a shape doing this. My carts are a Shure M91 with 5 different styli. From a $13 Jico to a Jico SAS, The VPI has a Audio Technica ART 9. IMO the best cartridge for under $1K.

Could never afford one as a kid but my buddy would buy what I recommended. Technics SL-7 with a Stanton 881s cartridge. Discwasher. Wow talk about remembering that from 43 years ago

I had a Denon from the latter 70’s. It had the touch controls which seemed ahead of their time.
Denon was a good name back then among many others. It's really incredible what has happened with music reproduction, I think we plateaued a long time ago as far as sound quality to the human ear, not talking "digits" the actual sound.
People are happy with good enough and convenience. Without question one area that has excelled is car audio from the factory.

However with that said, no TV sound bar in a home can deliver the quality of even low to mid priced respected speakers with a good amp or receiver and turntable/cartridge. But its good enough to the public... Even me now, I just dont have the desire to start over building a new system and I settle for my ear buds, JVC BAR 500 in the living room, the music I really like is back in time during creative years of rock 60s &70s ... and groups that mimic that today as well with their own material.

Heck, I would almost die to have my old Akai 3 head cassette deck back with auto-tuning to the tape type, most times I used BASF Metal, real time monitoring... I could switch back and forth from turntable to the cassette I was recording off the album testing the limits of the Akai and in the recording below it came through with a mirror image of the album.

I know my ears are older but listen to an MP3 of "Hold Me" with Fleetwood Mac, you have to struggle to hear the "triangle" (instrument whatever it is) that crisp high frequency instrument they ring through parts of the song. The realism just isnt there in todays mid priced equipment and MP3s yet my tuntable back then could reproduce it perfect and my Akai deck recorded it perfect and somehow even on my boat back then playing that recording came through crisp and clean blasting through a cove on the bay with my friends partying.

Ugh... I am passionate about too many things!

@PimTac and @Pablo
I just put your names in here so you see it because I was editing after I posted to clear up some things I wasnt sure I made clear. :unsure:

Last edited:
Denon was a good name back then among many others. It's really incredible what has happened with music reproduction, I think we plateaued a long time ago as far as sound quality to the human ear, not talking "digits" the actual sound.
People are happy with good enough and convenience. Without question one area that has excelled is car audio from the factory.

However with that said, no TV sound bar in a home can deliver the quality of even low to mid priced respected speakers with a good amp or receiver and turntable/cartridge. But its good enough to the public... Even me now, I just dont have the desire to start over as the music I really like is back in time during creative years of rock 60s &70s ... and groups that mimic that today as well with their own material.
Exactly

I’m not getting good speakers for my shop for example. China boom boom box with phone streaming through home Wi-Fi just fine

However with that said, no TV sound bar in a home can deliver the quality of even low to mid priced respected speakers with a good amp or receiver and turntable/cartridge. But its good enough to the public... Even me now, I just dont have the desire to start over as the music I really like is back in time during creative years of rock 60s &70s ... and groups that mimic that today as well with their own material.

A lot depends on the home acoustics.

I really liked Denon. I started with a low end receiver and then added a cassette player and the turntable. Interestingly, all three items came from different countries. Oddly enough the best sounding speakers I had were Zenith Allegros. They came off of a Zenith wedge system I had growing up. Later on I purchased a pair of Advents but to my ears the Zeniths sounded better.

The biggest problem back in the late 70’s and into the 80’s was that vinyl recording was just horrible. The industry was cheapening the process.

Back