Who's still rockin' a turntable?

Saw my TT sitting in the corner all lonley and it got me wondering who still uses one. I am mostly computer based now, have not used the TT in a while.
Dual 701, I think with a shure v15 and jitco needle. I have shure and ortofon cartridges and a few jitco needles laying around.

PXL_20201226_183243353.jpg

I still use mine. I have a decent vinyl setup on my main system (digital only upstairs) with a PS Audio pre-amp and an Aurex direct-drive turntable.

I'm using mine as I type this. I've had quite a few, but I've settled on an Audio Technica AT-1240. I'm actually waiting for them to come back in stock so I can buy a second one and a mixer to start learning how to mix records.

My wife and I have "Concert Night" one to two times a week. Our analog rig is in our basement which is a very large room. I have a Technics SL-1700 MK2 turntable with a Denon DL-110 cartridge. Not top of the line, but close enough for me. This direct-drive turntable is amazing as it gets to full speed within a third of a revolution.
1609178212361.png

(Stock image from online.)

I drive a pair of Klipsch La Scalas with a Denon DRA-1035R which has a ton of head-room for these speakers. Played moderately, it sounds like you are in the recording studio with the artist. If you turn it up a bit (believe me when I say it'll go up a bit! :)), it sounds like a live band at the concert.
I'm currently building a new record-cabinet as I'm running out of room for my albums. I have to admit that I've been buying a lot of the newly re-released 180 gram albums. They really sound good. Nearly as quiet as CDs.

My wife and I have "Concert Night" one to two times a week. Our analog rig is in our basement which is a very large room. I have a Technics SL-1700 MK2 turntable with a Denon DL-110 cartridge. Not top of the line, but close enough for me. This direct-drive turntable is amazing as it gets to full speed within a third of a revolution.
View attachment 38391

I drive a pair of Klipsch La Scalas with a Denon DRA-1035R which has a ton of head-room for these speakers. Played moderately, it sounds like you are in the recording studio with the artist. If you turn it up a bit (believe me when I say it'll go up a bit! :)), it sounds like a live band at the concert.
I'm currently building a new record-cabinet as I'm running out of room for my albums. I have to admit that I've been buying a lot of the newly re-released 180 gram albums. They really sound good. Nearly as quiet as CDs.
My boys and I often have "dance night". We break out some 12" remixes and have some fun.

View attachment 38391

Nice. I love the La Scalas what a great sounding speaker

I have an AT-120 fully manual table, with AT's Vm540ML cart attached. It's going through a 1977 Marantz 2230B that was properly rebuilt.

There is currently "something" wrong with the sound......it fades out on the right channel after time, and sounds scratchy. It's not the needle, it's in the TT somewhere. Need my Marantz-rebuild guy to get his digical (Vice Grip Garage) tools out to figure out what's going on.

1609180496865.png

1609180556983.png

I have turntables very similar the first 2 photos: a Dual turntable from 1970-71, and a "more recent" (though still pretty old) Technics Direct Drive SL-Q2 probably from the 1980s.

I checked out my Dual Turntable recently and the idler had developed a definite depression from sitting too long in one spot.

And the plastic platform mat on my Technics had warped horribly. I replaced it with a composite cork and leather mat of the same thickness from my own workshop. Looks pretty good if I say so myself.

I have a Dual 1219 turntable very similar to yours, I recently repaired it and it works great. (Thank you internet!) I also have the Shure V15 Type 2 that is in it as well as an Audio Technica in a spare head shell. Unfortunately I gave away almost 250 vinyl albums from the late 60's/mid 70's and no longer use it. I had it paired with a Dynaco ST 400 and PAT 5 preamp +JBL Century L100's that I gave to my nephew..he probably sold it by now.
Anyway, it's just taking up space in my garage, so if anyone is interested, PM me.
I kept about 4 albums, Including Beatles White.
Noticed the other day while at Barnes & Nobel that turntables and record albums are for sale again, but like $40.00+ for an album.
PS, the "big money" cartridge for this era is the Shure V15 Type 3, like $300.00 today!

Saw my TT sitting in the corner all lonley and it got me wondering who still uses one. I am mostly computer based now, have not used the TT in a while.
Dual 701, I think with a shure v15 and jitco needle. I have shure and ortofon cartridges and a few jitco needles laying around.

View attachment 38389
I have a modified Rega TT in a Musical Fidelity SS system driving Magneplanar speakers. A good quality recording sounds better than any CD. My other system is a Tube system with a tube buffered cd player with a tube preamp and tube amp driving rebuilt Quad speakers. I need to spend more time listening to them. But you know how life goes.

I was using mine somewhat regularly when I left my crazy ex and lived alone for a couple years. Now I need to find a place to set it up in my fiance's house. It was tough just to get the amp and speakers set up with the basement TV. I will set it up eventually though. Just a budget Sony from the early 90s or late 80s, belonged to my late roommate who took his own life. I won't be getting rid of it anytime. Put a new cartridge in and it sounds pretty good.

Got another turntable recently, it can record to USB and card, so we can do something with our 1,000 LP collection. What can go, what can stay, what we want on our computers or phones/MP3 players.

I have two turntables which I use once in a while. A very old Garrard AT-6 (early 60's)and a computerized Sansui FRD-4 (1980) . Both still work very good.

Back