Who's into base models?

Now I recall in ordering vehicles decades ago, I used to like to spec F 41 suspension and sporty things like that - A' la Carte - to make GM's American cars handle much better.

The base models were generally pretty horrid handlers.

It was fun going down the near endless option list. Rear gear ratios, HD Springs, HD shocks, Posi rear axle, Four-on-the Floor, Split bench seats, Gauge Package, etc

The basic mechanical stuff was a pretty cheap add - as it was basically a substituted part spec
Ah, the good days of car buying.
The ala carte ordering/options were so cool for American cars back then.

In traffic with Modern F.I, you just leave a bit of a gap and "idle" in gear. The car will maintain the 700 rpm.

So I rarely ever Stop and Go. I'm always rolling unless it's a real long stop they eats up my gap -
Someone here mentioned recently having a Focus 5-speed which didn't like to creep while idling, and it would automatically raise it's idle speed (for emissions reasons, presumably). That took the Focus off my list..... That would be brutal in stop-and-go traffic!

The ala carte ordering/options were so cool for American cars back then.
When my dad was looking at new cars in '63 I remember reading the options list for the full size Pontiac. Everything was "option required" - basic things like a lockable glove box.

Building cars with so many options must have been very complex. I guess that's why they have option packages. But in my opinion they've gone too far. You shouldn't have to buy a sunroof to get the upscale engine (just made that up but that's the idea).

You shouldn't have to buy a sunroof to get the upscale engine (just made that up but that's the idea).
I'd bet sunroof production would tail off by a lot if they weren't "bundled" into various other option packages.

"You want air conditioning? That comes as part of a package with along sunroof and 22-inch wheels for just $12,000 more..."

Someone here mentioned recently having a Focus 5-speed which didn't like to creep while idling, and it would automatically raise it's idle speed (for emissions reasons, presumably). That took the Focus off my list..... That would be brutal in stop-and-go traffic!
Not sure there - I have a 5-spd Focus and yes, the idle raises when you have the clutch in and release the brake to help with take-off....never had issues driving in stop/go traffic with it.

My base Golf wagon came with heated seats, albeit cloth (which I like...Scotchgard is your friend) but no auto climate....I agree it's nice but in a small car not as necessary for me. I got AA and ACP with my infotainment so good there, it's not the larger nicer looking unit that the upper trims come with (same as my Atlas has).
My Golf had the V-Tex which I would get again if I ever find myself in a VW product - it looked like new with over 100,000mi and cleaned up very nicely with just some standard Megs quick interior detailer cleaner. I agree some cars are easier to deal with manual climate than others. My Jeep I never have an issue. It's a 60th anniversary, so similar to the "Sport" you mentioned but with some badges and unique wheels.

Building cars with so many options must have been very complex. I guess that's why they have option packages. But in my opinion they've gone too far. You shouldn't have to buy a sunroof to get the upscale engine (just made that up but that's the idea).

Agreed. The sunroof is the worst offender. I've been forced into sunroofs on almost every car I've owned in order to get some other option.

My Golf had the V-Tex which I would get again if I ever find myself in a VW product - it looked like new with over 100,000mi and cleaned up very nicely with just some standard Megs quick interior detailer cleaner. I agree some cars are easier to deal with manual climate than others. My Jeep I never have an issue. It's a 60th anniversary, so similar to the "Sport" you mentioned but with some badges and unique wheels.
I have V-Tex in our Atlas and agree - stays nice but to me, feels rubbery. The 60th version of the XJ Cherokee was cool!

Lots of hate for sunroofs here...have them currently in 4/5 of my vehicles and always have liked them. Just keep the drains clear.

My 2022 Nissan Frontier is a base "S" model. I suppose it's sort of an example of what base model means today.

It's got all your standard power options, plus all the electronic nanny systems including automatic emergency braking with pedestrian detection and intelligent forward collision warning. An 8" touch screen info/entertainment w/ 6 speakers, all your power/USB outlets, apple car play, android auto, hands-free bluetoof, a 7" screen on the dash to display a bunch of stuff. Remote key-less blah..blahhh.. None of it can be deleted. It's all base model stuff.

With all of that it has crazy de-contenting. The side view mirrors for example. Not only are they not power adjustable, nor heated, there is no joystick adjuster for them. You have to mash your digits all over the mirror glass like some type of savage to adjust them. Even though it has power door locks, a power tail gate lock is not included. You have to use the included key or pop the key out of your FOB to lock/unlock the tailgate. 1st world problems my friends. LOL.

All this for $33515, which is cheap for a crew cab 4x4, even if it is the Chrysler of Japan.

I’ll take a base model all day every day. Plain Jane Tacoma or F150, crank windows, vinyl floors. Dont even need a radio, just ac and heat. If I never went into a city Id say a 5 speed stick, but just to play it safe if Id get stuck in traffic, give me an auto. 🤘🤘🤘🤘

That is basic by today's standards, but that level of basic continued for many years. For instance my 2015 Nissan Versa 1.6s sedan has a 4 speed automatic, crank windows, no power door locks and a $2 chip-less ignition key. The original owner I bought it from paid just over $12K for it brand new in 2015. ...
I nearly bought a 2014 "stripper" Versa Note hatchback for $11k new at the end of that model year. You had to get the stripper version to get a manual transmission instead of the CVT. The interior made even my 1981 Mazda GLC look luxurious in comparison. Overall, a little too base, even for me. I didn't like the seats, or the way the rear seat interfered with cargo space even when folded. So I paid $5000 more for a 3-year-old Prius.

Lots of hate for sunroofs here...have them currently in 4/5 of my vehicles and always have liked them. Just keep the drains clear.
All my cars have sunroofs except for the Club Sport. I never open them. Ever. When I was ordering the Club Sport Munich tried to make me take a sunroof even though it was listed as an option. My salesperson prevailed and my car was built without a hole in the roof.

My Cooper Clubman is considered to be the base model in the US. It had to have been ordered as it has several options that you almost never see on a Cooper- Comfort Access, navigation, heated leather sport seats, real English oak wood trim, and roof rails,
1678249656617.jpeg

Last edited:
All my cars have sunroofs except for the Club Sport. I never open them. Ever.
I got lucky with my only car I've ever had with a sunroof (my Cobalt). It's never leaked.... But I never open it. I hate the glare and like sitting in my dark cave. I find I'm more and more bothered by bright light as I get older so I don't see that changing any time soon.

I got lucky with my only car I've ever had with a sunroof (my Cobalt). It's never leaked.... But I never open it. I hate the glare and like sitting in my dark cave. I find I'm more and more bothered by bright light as I get older so I don't see that changing any time soon.
The one on our Expedition never leaked but the drains resulted in the rockers rotting out of the truck from the inside out.

Hands down the best truck I ever owned was a base 2006 2500HD with an Lq4/4l80e. Power nothing and no cruise or fog lights. Nothing ever went wrong with it for the few years I owned it. Gas mileage was terrible. About 10mpg.

My old neighbor had an 84 or 85 F350 that had no radio or ac. 2wd, 6.9 diesel and a 4 speed manual. I remember it had a black plastic block off plate where a radio would have went. It was geared so low I don’t even think it could do 75.

I remember cars from the 70s not having passenger side mirrors.
They were still an option well into the late 80's.
My first new car was a Saturn SL. A/C and passenger mirror were the only two options it had. So as late as 2000 it could be optional!

No ABS, no power steering (I was a bit miffed at having power brakes, didn't feel the car really needed them), crank windows and manual locks of course. Did have AM/FM/cassette though, that was nice to have. Did have a light on the dashboard to tell me that my headlights were not on (aka the DRL's were on instead), never understood why it needed that light, but I guess DRL's were still kinda new back then.

My daily driver is a 2011 Silverado single cab two wheel drive work truck (white of course) old 4.3 v6, roll up windows manual locks, rubber floor, am fm radio AC and cruise. Currently 28,000 miles bought it used from original owner $12,000 four years ago.

My general philosophy is if the power train on the base model is same as others get the base. Just bought “base” model sport accord hybrid since has same power train as higher Trims… now in fairness I do wish had 17 in tires and not 19 in which is ridiculous for an accord

Back