Who's into base models?

Strippers/base trim in the '80s/'90s were typically 4 speed vs. 5 so you lost your overdrive/highway gear, no AC so vent only and heat, AM/FM radio (if it had one), no power steering or brakes...I think of the Honda Civic DXs from the late '80s.
My parents had an '83 Civic "FE" model, which was probably a step up from the absolute cheapest base model - it had cloth seats and a 5-speed but nothing else - no AC, no sound deadening, no armrests, etc. The "FE" stood for "Fuel Efficient" so all that other stuff was left off to save weight. It had the smallest engine coupled with tall gearing so it would do 0-60 in about eight minutes but once it got there it would cruise along at 63 MPG (I know because I did the math). It was a noisy and uncomfortable little box but I doubt it even weighed 2000 pounds.

My parents had an '83 Civic "FE" model, which was probably a step up from the absolute cheapest base model - it had cloth seats and a 5-speed but nothing else - no AC, no sound deadening, no armrests, etc. The "FE" stood for "Fuel Efficient" so all that other stuff was left off to save weight. It had the smallest engine coupled with tall gearing so it would do 0-60 in about eight minutes but once it got there it would cruise along at 63 MPG (I know because I did the math). It was a noisy and uncomfortable little box but I doubt it even weighed 2000 pounds.
Sounds like a good one to make a track car out of!

Reactions: Pew
Sounds like a good one to make a track car out of!

Stick a K20 in there and I bet it'll be a hoot!

800px-Honda_Civic_arriving_Schaffen-Diest_2018_%28cropped%29.jpg

I agree....the only options that are a must are A/C and power windows and door locks*....A/T is becoming a must because I hate driving a 'stick' in bumper to bumper traffic which is now the norm almost everywhere I go.
I've gone back and forth a few times between AT and MT cars. I always enjoy the stick more than the AT.

In traffic with Modern F.I, you just leave a bit of a gap and "idle" in gear. The car will maintain the 700 rpm.

So I rarely ever Stop and Go. I'm always rolling unless it's a real long stop they eats up my gap - or somebody dive bombs it.

Sometimes the guy behind me doesn't understand my method and gets testy on my bumper. I tend to ignore.

If its at night and he has HIGHS on to irritate me. I get out the 5 led Superbright rechargable flashlight and aim it backwards at his nose.

I like certain features. Heated seats are really nice to have when it is cold. Much prefer auto climate rather than having to adjust it. There's certain features I don't care about though - my Golf had a sunroof and I don't miss it much.

Fairly indifferent on the screen thing - I could live without it but in the newer cars they make no efforts to appearance when you opt out or for the small one. Base model S550 Mustangs, I'm looking at you.

In terms of seats, a good leather or leatherette is preferred just for ease of cleaning. Wife's car has tan cloth and it's a magnet for stains.

Stick a K20 in there and I bet it'll be a hoot!

800px-Honda_Civic_arriving_Schaffen-Diest_2018_%28cropped%29.jpg
Is that a Civic? I had a 1983 3-door Accord I bough new just before the new Honda price gouging started. Terrible car when it was moving. Crashed it first year. Slow as mud. even with the stick. I think it was a CVCC. Very Japanese-y. Jewel like but costume jewelry. More of a "thing" than a car. Most new 4 bangers and ecoboxes were dead slow then - but not this slow.

O.k. The Datsun B210 Honey Bee was slower and much worse. My Buddy had one as a college commuter.

Rear Shocks and Springs were spec'd too stiff, You could loop that thing in the rain at 25mph if you weren't careful. I did - in an avoidance maneuver - and hit a telephone pole going backwards and sideways at about 40 MPH in the rain - that hurt! Front seatback formed steel pan just folded and thew me out of the seat under the harness. They tore when they folded and gouged into my back. Radio flew out. A -pillar trim flew off. Endn up with a pile of parts and a pile of ME in the back seat.

Went to look at the car a couple days later with my roomate at the tow yard. We called it the Honda Accordion.

datsunB210.jpg

I like certain features. Heated seats are really nice to have when it is cold. Much prefer auto climate rather than having to adjust it. There's certain features I don't care about though - my Golf had a sunroof and I don't miss it much.

Fairly indifferent on the screen thing - I could live without it but in the newer cars they make no efforts to appearance when you opt out or for the small one. Base model S550 Mustangs, I'm looking at you.

In terms of seats, a good leather or leatherette is preferred just for ease of cleaning. Wife's car has tan cloth and it's a magnet for stains.
My base Golf wagon came with heated seats, albeit cloth (which I like...Scotchgard is your friend) but no auto climate....I agree it's nice but in a small car not as necessary for me. I got AA and ACP with my infotainment so good there, it's not the larger nicer looking unit that the upper trims come with (same as my Atlas has).

I always loved base model V8 Mustangs. I remember them being the "best bang for your buck" sports cars (y)
I wouldn't call then sports cars they didn't handle well - the early foxbody is garbage.
Good for drag strip use highly modified. I have owned three new ones - various years.

The Mustang II Cobra was a good handler. Not junk mac struts in a tin can like the fox..
That Mustang II front end design is used for most Hot rod projects it steers so well.

The Nissan Z32 300ZX is the best handling car in factory trim I have driven to date.

The most basic car was a new 2000 Ford Focus 3-door hatchback. Had one option, A/C. That's all folks. It didn't come with cruise, the dealer threw in a factory looking aftermarket unit.

I did like the big, firm, leather-like seats in my Used 2011 Outback Premium and the improved stereo.
But I didn't like the engine knock and oil usage. That comes standard with base OR Premium trim :)

The most basic car was a new 2000 Ford Focus 3-door hatchback. Had one option, A/C. That's all folks. It didn't come with cruise, the dealer threw in a factory looking aftermarket unit.
That is basic by today's standards, but that level of basic continued for many years. For instance my 2015 Nissan Versa 1.6s sedan has a 4 speed automatic, crank windows, no power door locks and a $2 chip-less ignition key. The original owner I bought it from paid just over $12K for it brand new in 2015. The 4spd auto model continued on until 2017.

This level of basic does have it's disadvantages though as I've found.. If the single door lock cylinder (driver's door only) freezes and you're in the middle of nowhere w/ no de-icer, you're in for some fun. You cannot pass through the trunk and into the back seat with this model.

That is basic by today's standards, but that level of basic continued for many years. For instance my 2015 Nissan Versa 1.6s sedan has a 4 speed automatic, crank windows, no power door locks and a $2 chip-less ignition key. The original owner I bought it from paid just over $12K for it brand new in 2015. The 4spd auto model continued on until 2017.

This level of basic does have it's disadvantages though as I've found.. If the single door lock cylinder (driver's door only) freezes and you're in the middle of nowhere w/ no de-icer, you're in for some fun. You cannot pass through the trunk and into the back seat with this model.
IIRC I paid $11K
It was stark but comfortable. Handling that was connected to your brain. It was a 5 speed with the 2.0L Zetec. So not a dog.

• Love
Reactions: JTK
Now I recall in ordering vehicles decades ago, I used to like to spec F 41 suspension and sporty things like that - A' la Carte - to make GM's American cars handle much better.

The base models were generally pretty horrid handlers.

It was fun going down the near endless option list. Rear gear ratios, HD Springs, HD shocks, Posi rear axle, Four-on-the Floor, Split bench seats, Gauge Package, etc

The basic mechanical stuff was a pretty cheap add - as it was basically a substituted part spec
Ah, the good days of car buying.

Back