Who still makes a wire backed oil filter?

I believe Purolator BOSS is wire backed.

From what I seen with those Royal Purple/FRAM Endurance filters I am not impressed.

From what I seen with those Royal Purple/FRAM Endurance filters I am not impressed.
I’m not either. I’m hitting my Rural King soon as they open tomorrow to see if they have some wire backed ULTRA. They still have lots of Fram TG 8316 filters so there’s hope

Thinking Royal Purole may still make a good oil filter?
The Fram Endurance is basically a Royal Purple in a Fram can ... yes, both are wire backed. Fram's website says the Endurance is a synthetic blend media, but apparently Fram thinks it still needs a wire backing for the 25K mile rating durability. Not sure what Royal Purple advertises their media as.

Last edited:
The Fram Endurance is basically a Royal Purple in a Fram can ... yes, both are wire backed. Fram's website says the Endurance is a synthetic blend media, but apparently Fram thinks it still needs a wire backing for the 25K mile rating durability. Not sure what Royal Purple advertises their media as.
I’m curious if Donaldson filters are wire backed. They always look solid after use. @ OVERKILL and bullwinkle

Why is that? Fram's website claims 99%efficiency at greater than 20 microns and 25k miles that's pretty much the same as the old Ultra. While the old Ultra may have been better in some ways, I struggle to think of a better filter left on the market as the Titanium is going the same route as the Ultra. It's a solid design and one of the best left.

Why is that? Fram's website claims 99%efficiency at greater than 20 microns and 25k miles that's pretty much the same as the old Ultra. While the old Ultra may have been better in some ways, I struggle to think of a better filter left on the market as the Titanium is going the same route as the Ultra. It's a solid design and one of the best left.
Uneven/slanted pleat spacing, wide pleat gaps, nasty seam, people already reported incorrect threads. Most of which is not a big deal aside from the thread issues some have had but it doesn't scream quality to me.

I personally am liking the Microgard Select/PG oil filters they are extremely clean and seem to have great quality control.

The Fram XG10358 cartridge I bought recently is still wire-backed. It says made in USA (unlike the corresponding ToughGuard 10358, which comes from China).

Amsoil. Most anything else is just a filter, although I will concede that due to the love of Fram on this site I have tried them and dissected a couple. I just cut one apart then thru it away or I'd post pictures. Solid media, tough to cut apart, well constructed. Of course, most of the time in life, you get what you pay for.

Uneven/slanted pleat spacing, wide pleat gaps, nasty seam, people already reported incorrect threads. Most of which is not a big deal aside from the thread issues some have had but it doesn't scream quality to me.

I personally am liking the Microgard Select/PG oil filters they are extremely clean and seem to have great quality control.
Those look to be good filters but unless they changed anything, they are not wire backed filters. While 99% efficiency at 25 microns and a rated life of 10k miles are all very respectable this is more a Wix, Purolator One, Fram TG competitor. Not a bad thing by any means but not a wire backed filters.

Amsoil. Most anything else is just a filter, although I will concede that due to the love of Fram on this site I have tried them and dissected a couple. I just cut one apart then thru it away or I'd post pictures. Solid media, tough to cut apart, well constructed. Of course, most of the time in life, you get what you pay for.
The EaO is now unfortunately no longer using the Donaldson Synteq media, so it's quite possible the filter is identical to the Royal Purple and FRAM Endurance.

I’m curious if Donaldson filters are wire backed. They always look solid after use. @ OVERKILL and bullwinkle
There are very few part #'s available with the Synteq (Donaldson) and Stratapore (Fleetguard) synthetic medias. For Donaldson, I think the only one is the big PH8/FL-1A filter, for Fleetguard they make that one, as well as the PH2/FL-820S filter.

Those look to be good filters but unless they changed anything, they are not wire backed filters. While 99% efficiency at 25 microns and a rated life of 10k miles are all very respectable this is more a Wix, Purolator One, Fram TG competitor. Not a bad thing by any means but not a wire backed filters.
I personally do not care about wire backing if the filter holds up, and that is exactly what these Microgard Selects do, they hold up. People have gone over the 10k mile rating on them and they still looked perfect like they could even longer. Although I do not recommend going over what it is rated for and nor would I ever to begin with.

And the thing about Microgard Select/PG is consistency, for many years they kept the quality, it seems the factory they make them in actually has very good quality control and they actually take some pride in making a quality product. I can't say the same for the basic Microgard though.

But when it comes to a wire backed filter I would probably go for the Purolator BOSS over any other.

Back