Who still makes a wire backed oil filter?

Ii stopped worrying about oil filters as my OCI's are done at 3.5-4k with Mobil1 EP and either a K&n Gold if it comes with the bundle or the Honda factory filter if not. I'm more concerned with air filtration and use only factory filters, my primary concern is fuel dilution, so more frequent changes.

I personally do not care about wire backing if the filter holds up, and that is exactly what these Microgard Selects do, they hold up. People have gone over the 10k mile rating on them and they still looked perfect like they could even longer. Although I do not recommend going over what it is rated for and nor would I ever to begin with.

And the thing about Microgard Select/PG is consistency, for many years they kept the quality, it seems the factory they make them in actually has very good quality control and they actually take some pride in making a quality product. I can't say the same for the basic Microgard though.

But when it comes to a wire backed filter I would probably go for the Purolator BOSS over any other.
Pretty good stuff inside

Type of backing, metal/plastic, is irrelevant. It is 'supported' media.

Leaving out the many specific PN's from Baldwin/Donaldson/Fleetguard/etc.... since they aren't common enough with typical consumer masses of cartridges/canisters used on daily drivers.

Purolator Boss (we're not conducting electricity so the mesh can be misnomer'd as plastic wire)
Napa Platinum
Wix XP
Amsoil
TRD
RoyalPurple
Ryco Syntec
VW 1.4T (its ph3614 sized)
Fram Synthetic Endurance
Frantz now has a full synthetic TP roll too
Baldwin B2-HPG (ph8a sized)
Ford 6.7 Powerstroker filter was wire backed

Some discontinued but sometimes found at swap meets, ebay, auto part store or warehouse clearance section, amazon....
Fram Ultra.... depends on specific PN and inventory, as most common new PN's aren't supported media
Peak Hard Driver
Bosch Long Life
MicroGreen Cartridges

Enough filter support for you?

cantonfilter.jpg

So, back on topic; rural King had one line 3593A Uktra that was wire backed. No 3614’s ULTRA at all. Did snag Rural King 15w40 5 gal container for $62~

Might be getting a older Saturn as spare driver so it can’t hurt to have extra oil on hand

Royal Purple doesn't mention wire backing anywhere in their brochure, but they do slightly elude to it in their cut-away drawing.

You would think that would be one of their main features to capitalize on. Why they leave that out of their description is beyond me.

Royal Purple doesn't mention wire backing anywhere in their brochure, but they do slightly elude to it in their cut-away drawing.

You would think that would be one of their main features to capitalize on. Why they leave that out of their description is beyond me.
I actually tried to order some of these Royal Purple filters a few months back but they were sold out in my sizes. Meanwhile the Fram Synthetic Endurance was released at wally world, so I'm running that on one of my vehicles and a SuperTech MP on the other.

Back