Who Makes What Filter? - One more time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
nobadges

quote:

If Fram makes some Honda filters, how come so many people give Fram a bad review?
I would think Honda has pretty high quality standards.

The complaint about Fram is the use of cardboard end plates. Apparently some percentage of them are reported to leak internally allowing unfiltered oil to bypass the filter media.

http://www.tobycreek.org/oil_filters/fram.shtml

This isn't true of their XG Extended Guard filters, which use metal end caps.

I have to say that I used Fram for many years and never noticed any problems.

Denso also uses cardboard end caps on many of their filters. They're one of the OEMs for Toyota (which I believe owns Denso).

Here's a Denso made for a Yamaha motorcycle:

http://www.tobycreek.org/oil_filters/yamaha.shtml

I have a load of Toyota filters made exactly the same way.

Honda uses a number of vendors for filters, including Tennex, Toyo Roki, Filtech (which is also Toyo Roki), Vic, and Fram.

i changed the oil on a GTP today at work and it had a regular Mobil Oil filter, said it was manufactured by Arvin Meritor....i compared the openings to a Purolator....they were the same.

so does Purolator make the regular Mobil filters and Champion makes the Mobil 1 filters?

Someone on another site said that Motorcraft, Purolator, and Wix oil filters are all made by Racor. I think they are wrong, but what is Racor and what filter brands do they make?

TP,

I saw that, too. I think they were referring to 6.0L PSD catridge filters. If that was the case, then all three filters might indeed be made by the same company.

Racor seems to be a division of the Parker company. Here is a link:
Racor filters

Thanks, that looks like a very different filter. I guess it is entirely possible that Puro, MC, and Wix all buy and relable from Racor for those applications.

I don't think anyone answered the Nissan question:

Does anyone know who makes the OEM filters for Nissan?

Thanks all!
grin.gif

I'm definitely interested to find out who makes the Mopar 5281090 filter. This seems to be a popular number for most the newer Chrysler products, and is the one my Durango takes.

I'd lean to thinking it was a Champ, but I'm not 100% sure.

Regarding Carquest filters, The blue premium line would be the same as the NAPA Gold, and the red economy line would be the same as the NAPA Silver, both made by Wix.

One thing that does concern me about one particular Carquest red filter P/N B4670 (cross-reference to Mopar 5281090) is the little extra bypass valve in the bottom of the filter. The blue premium filters do not have this, nor does the OEM Mopar filter. Just curious as to why this one has it.

Hey everyone, i am a new guy and i am a auto technician in training
wink.gif

I have a 1993 tempo 2.3L and i buy quaker state QS16 for it at crappy tire and i was wodnering if they actually are made by Purolator? If so.... Good stuff
grin.gif

kool_zx3 I believe they still are, but they have less media. Did you read the first post of the first page? I figure you are just confirming. As far as I know that is still correct.
I prefer the Supertech(tech2000) oil filters from walmart with their good price to quality ratio. Cant beat $2usd with no need for rebates.

Yes, i was just making sure. I did cut my old quaker state filters apart before and they looked to be well built.... I also have a Val Max Life filter here also i am going to cut up soon

I went into a local Auto-Zone the other day and they were selling Duralast filters instead of STPs, I'm hoping they are still made by Champion Labs, But the numering scheme that STPs used was Fram's and these use a 3 number system??????????

andyd - what numbers do they sport? Put then in all of the search engines at Wix, donaldson, pureoil.com and see what they call them (eliminate all "-/" type stuff and spaces. That should give you an idea who makes them ...maybe.

OK, so I just was going through our AC Delco filters (I work at a Chevy dealer) and our most common ones have letters on the base plates, but they don't all have one hole larger than the others, are these still Champion? None have e-cores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back