Who makes the best Auto trans filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PT1

I'll be doing the first pan drop/filter change on my 06 4l60E soon and was wondering who makes the best "long life" filters for transmissions?

The consensus is that being a suction filter ..they aren't worth too much one way or another. I tend to agree with this assessment. Most suction side filters that actually give you a micron rating are in the 150um range.

So, I say it doesn't much matter. I don't even think anyone could bootleg/counterfeit/scam a lousier filter. Older automatics had mesh screens ..and it appears that the movement is to go back in this direction.

Install auxiliary filtration.

I personally use the AC/Delco kits. But, I agree with Gary Allan, so as long as you atleast use a reputable brand name you're okay. Nothing from China, if its possible.

When I did a pan-drop on my company van (2001 GMC Safari), I noticed that the FRAM filter I bought and the OEM that was removed looked absolutely identical and were both made by Filtech (or Filtran; I can never remember which...). I believe that changing the fluid at an appropriate interval is more important than what brand of filter you buy.

The Fram, Ford and no-name filters for the AOD in my LSC are all identical and stamped SPX-Filtran (made by or for).
The Fram filters for the 4L80E in my XJR are also stamped SPX-Filtran. The SPX-Filtran filter for the 4L80E supposedly has a felt material that filters down to 30 microns - but I don't know the beta ratio.

Me thinks if you can get your hands on a Wix...you be doing good!...When I replaced the filter on me 78 Pontiac....me was aghast to discover the gasket said Wix all over it...it fit much better than the ATP I installed...get yourself a Wix...

i've had good luck with the Filterking brand from Advance Auto, i believe they are stamped Filtran as well and the rubber-like gaskets work very well

Originally Posted By: Christian_89LSC_96XJR
The Fram, Ford and no-name filters for the AOD in my LSC are all identical and stamped SPX-Filtran (made by or for).
The Fram filters for the 4L80E in my XJR are also stamped SPX-Filtran. The SPX-Filtran filter for the 4L80E supposedly has a felt material that filters down to 30 microns - but I don't know the beta ratio.

That would be extremely fine for a suction side filter. It would have to be (or so I imagine) very large in square inches. For that matter, it wouldn't be that bad for a full flow downstream filter. None of the Wix offerings list a micron rating except the trans auxiliary filters.

What's odd is that WIX doesn't even list a trans filter for the XJR past 1997 ..yet in the applications for the 1997 offering it says 97-07 for GM vehicles with the 480LE w/deep pan. 58608

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord

I believe that changing the fluid at an appropriate interval is more important than what brand of filter you buy.

Agree totally.

I did very recently have an odd experience with a transmission filter for a Turbo 400 from AutoZone. After installation, I had issues with pump whine/cavitation when first starting the truck cold. Ran it for about a week and took it out and replaced it with a NAPA filter (the only trans filters I've used besides genuine GM). No evidence of defect, o-ring on pick-up pipe was fine, seal at filter body seemed normal and snug. Installed NAPA filter, has been fine since.

I returned the filter to AutoZone who gladly gave me my money back when I told them what happened and what cured it. They allowed me to keep the filter to cut it opened, the manager just wanted to know what I found when I opened it up, as they said they haven't had an issue with these filters (the box says made in Taiwan, minor mfg. differences from the NAPA filter). I cut the filter open, no evidence of debris, defect or obstuction what so ever. The media was a sheet of material, folded in half to fit the metal filter body

I've heard Turbo 400s are sensitive about filter flow, but I have no idea why this filter seemed to starve the pump cold.

Originally Posted By: Black_Thunder
i've had good luck with the Filterking brand from Advance Auto, i believe they are stamped Filtran as well and the rubber-like gaskets work very well

I've had lousy luck with Filter Kings from AA. When I had my '93 Caprice, as I recall there was an issue with the filter tube not fitting up into the transmission. Then just a couple of weeks ago I got a Filter King from AA for the wife's '04 Corolla, and it didn't even come close to fitting. The "dimples" in the filter didn't line up with the corresponding bolts on the transmission. Found out from the guys at O'Reilly that what I had was for, among other things, a '98-'02 Prizm. The Toyota dealership didn't even have a listing for an '04 Corolla AT filter. Heck, one "tech" told me that I'd have to tear apart half the transmission to get to the filter. I didn't bother to tell him I had already dropped the pan and unbolted the 3 screws that held the filter. I eventually found an ATP filter that fit perfectly. I don't really blame Filter King for the problems I've had with their filters. The problem lies with Advance Auto's lack of quality control when it comes to their parts matching the application. This has been true of PCV valves I've bought from them, among other things. I'll stick with the likes of Car Quest and Speedway Auto Parts (a local chain in Indy) where I'm confidant I'll get the parts that fit.

Sorry my rant is sending the topic slightly OT, but caveat emptor when getting parts from AA!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Originally Posted By: Christian_89LSC_96XJR

That would be extremely fine for a suction side filter. It would have to be (or so I imagine) very large in square inches. For that matter, it wouldn't be that bad for a full flow downstream filter. None of the Wix offerings list a micron rating except the trans auxiliary filters.

What's odd is that WIX doesn't even list a trans filter for the XJR past 1997 ..yet in the applications for the 1997 offering it says 97-07 for GM vehicles with the 480LE w/deep pan. 58608

I think GM is still using the 4L80E as their main heavy duty transmission. Jaguar on the other had switched to a Mercedes 5 speed auto in 1998 for the XJR. I am happy that I have the 4L80E - it's pretty much bulletproof.

And I did find a chart for the Serial MicroFelt that SPX Filtran is using for newer 4L80E transmissions. Claims a beta ratio of slightly better than 20 at 30 microns.
It's bulletin #110 on this page http://spxfiltran.com/bulletins/filtran/#

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back